How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-07-2010
Looking Up

I can never help but feel envious sometimes of Tavi's success. But at the same time it just goes to show how silly the industry is. They'll do anything for publicity, even if it means taking advantage of an underage blogger who might just be around for her 15 minutes of fame.
I've read her blog and her writing really isn't anything impressive. I don't want to sound bitter or jealous but I really can write better than her lol

10-07-2010
front row

I think blogs are a great way to get your foot in the door in the industry. And its nice to see "Regular" people getting gifted instead of rich celebs. I do prefer personal style blogs over a blog where some faceless person rambles on and on about the state of the industry or a collection. Not bashing it, I just dont care what a blogger thinks about it. Id rather look at inspiring pictures.

With that said there are some things that annoy me about personal style blogs. Mainly the fact that they seem to be so self serving, the way they'll post 243423 close ups of their face or something -- uh I thought the blog was about fashion? And then they all do these cheesy photo shoots with millions of poses. If you're not a model, dont try and imitate one.

And then there's the fact that the general taste level for bloggers seems to be...nonexistant. I can count on one hand how many personal style blogs actually wear cute outfits. And the most popular blogs seem to be the people with the WORST style, and the ones who look like they're on drugs or something.

10-07-2010
fashion insider

Out of curiosity, I went o take a look at Tavi's "mood boards". These are terrible, there's no sense of the dynamics of the PAGE, and no rhyme or reason to the outfits. A mood board isn't about outfits - it's about a "mood", time period, colours, textures, types of clothing and accessories, light/shadow, etc. - and there should be a series of these that are arranged in such a way as to "sketch out" the look of the entire editorial, the close-ups, the middle, the perspectives, the long shot, etc. This is so amateur, silly, exactly what an immature teenager would do, nothing that would make her BETTER than a professional. I feel really sorry for the stylists-in-waiting. Ugh, I hate bloggers. They are like Reality TV stars, and suddenly, a lot of talented TRAINED, dedicated professional actors and actresses must make way for them.

10-07-2010
boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMagAddict View Post
But the moment you start thinking you know yourself completely, you begin to die a little.
Beautiful and true.

I also have to defend tumblr, I have been sporadically updating one and I think that it is a nice way to just take in pictures / quotes / etc. It is a very stripped down form of blogging but interesting all the same. I tend to think of tumblrs as moving / changing mood boards that say something about the person who is posting. Everyone's selection of images is different and it kind of makes for a window into their aesthetic sensibilities.

10-07-2010
front row

^I agree, tumblr isn't all bad, but I can't say I'm 100% behind the idea of 'more pictures, no words'. It's like people on the Internet these days have ADD so bad that they can't stand to read so much as a paragraph on a blog page. And some bloggers can write really well, too.

I appreciate Susie Bubble, Wendy Brandes, LibertyLondonGirl, the Queens at Kingdom of Style, and many, many lesser-known bloggers (like dreamecho) for actually having things to say and saying them rather than just reducing their blogs to a series of pretty pictures going 'look how great this is'! but it's rather sad that the words "fashion blog" in common parlance these days tend to mean either a series of 'personal style' pictures or talking about insider experiences of the fashion industry.

I also feel a bit like the bigwig blogs have practically taken on 'insider' status, in a lot of ways- and blogging started like an 'outside looking in' kind of exercise, now for many bloggers (the bigwigs, as I call them) the experience of their readers feels more like the blog authors are 'inside looking out'.

10-07-2010
backstage pass

One of my biggest pet peves of fashion bloggers is how many think "tfs" and "weheartit" and "tumblr" count for fair credit for photos. I'm like, "Oh geez, thanks for narrowing it down, should be super easy to find who those photos are by now." Credits like that are almost worse than none at all. Not to mention, many post fashion editorials here with a complete list of correct credits (it's not as if you can post pictures without a source here) and then people ignore those and exchange crediting the photographer for "tfs".

And I especially don't like it when people give me credit for photos I post, when I provided them with the photographers names (and sites, if they have one) for every photo. I'm like, it's not my photo, don't give me credit, give the photographer credit! If I don't know who the photo is by, I don't share it/post it. The only occasional exception I make is for old vintage or antique photos, I mean I still credit if I can, but it's trickier cause sometimes the photographer is no longer living and certainly doesn't have a website nor have they left any traces online to follow in a search.

As far as photos-only-blogs, I like to see all bloggers bring something of their own to the table, so to say. I don't like to see that all a blog's content is by others. I like to have a sense of who that someone behind-the-blog is and for them to be bringing something original that they've made to their blog. Such as I can't take good photographs, so I feature others, however, save for the title quote, all the writing is my own. A balance is nice anyhow.

rising star

I really like the definition of those sub-categories

I personally use street style blogs as an inspiration for colour & outfit combinations and specific focus blogs (classic style) for info that I need and don’t intend to spend money on.

The biggest prob I have with most blogs is the classic internet problem: people spreading "opinions", what actually qualifies them in giving advice in any kind? where do they get their info from? do they do it for free or get paid for it?…

And I have to say that I’m an old school internet user, I always have and will always prefer boards! Many users, same interests, piled up information, multiple opinions, time saving

10-07-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnstLudwig View Post
The biggest prob I have with most blogs is the classic internet problem: people spreading "opinions", what actually qualifies them in giving advice in any kind? where do they get their info from? do they do it for free or get paid for it?…
Well, what makes you qualified enough to say they're not qualified enough? I mean there are some cases when it's made obvious someone has no knowledge on what they're speaking about, and I agree that's frustrating and irritating. But honestly, you'd be hard pressed to find those without opinions, and who withhold from ever sharing them. And after all, what you have posted is simply your own opinion.

Perhaps, you're referring to only specific cases (though you did say "advice of any kind"), however, if you mean people freely sharing their opinions and advice in general, I don't personally have a problem with it. And frankly, I don't very well like people that don't seem to have any opinions of their own, that say, "I don't know," all the time and won't loosen up and share what they think. I believe everyone should be entitled to have and share their opinions.

But hey, maybe I misinterpreted what you were meaning to say, and if so, sorry for the rant.

rising star

I'd think I'd actually find an opposing opinion on my view of tumblr authentic, if someone who disagreed with me didn't have a tumblr. Tumblr is the poor man's blogger.

10-07-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna-Cole View Post
Well, what makes you qualified enough to say they're not qualified enough? I mean there are some cases when it's made obvious someone has no knowledge on what they're speaking about, and I agree that's frustrating and irritating. I believe everyone should be entitled to have and share their opinions.
I firmly believe that too. Blogs are not just for one thing, and I agree it's blindingly obvious when people know nothing- for instance, the blogger who "reviewed" Givenchy's AW2009-10 couture collection and stated, time and over again, what a genius Stefano Pilati was for designing it (Stefano Pilati. Designing for Givenchy? And this when you have Google at your fingertips- come on!!!).

Quote:
I believe everyone should be entitled to have and share their opinions.
Absolutely! I actually think that a well-written blog can be a far more compelling read than one that's just "pretty", and a big chunk of text that doesn't go "things I did today" actually draws me into reading a post where it might put other people off.

Last edited by Drusilla_; 10-07-2010 at 04:31 PM. Reason: typos
10-07-2010
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahslope View Post
I'd think I'd actually find an opposing opinion on my view of tumblr authentic, if someone who disagreed with me didn't have a tumblr. Tumblr is the poor man's blogger.
Why is that? Personally, the more images and the less talk the better. I prefer dialogue when it comes to 99% of all people's writing. Very few people have the skill to write something lengthy that is really interesting, unless it's in a debate/discussion.

A lot of blogs with lots of writing are pretty pretentious - because they don't seem to censor themselves at all, not realize how trivial the thoughts are...some things are just better left unsaid...a lot of things. Really.

The whole Tavi and Bryan Boy on first row thing....it feels a bit like the fashion elite picked a couple of freaks that nobody can take seriously (but who do photograph pretty well) and throw them in as "see, this is all bloggers and internet people are - now you're old news, go away - what's the next thing on the horizon?".

11-07-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
A lot of blogs with lots of writing are pretty pretentious - because they don't seem to censor themselves at all, not realize how trivial the thoughts are...some things are just better left unsaid...a lot of things. Really.
True, and it holds good for pictures too- is anyone else annoyed by the tendency of some bloggers to post 10 photos of themselves in a single outfit?

I don't begrudge anyone the fantasy that they're a model, but when the only difference between the pics you post is the angle of your head or the coy expression on your face and it gets to the point where it slows down the speed at which your page loads, I'd say edit your selection of photographs (Rumi of fashiontoast at least has the sense to do this, and hers are pretty well-shot too). I really don't need to see 8-10 photographs of an AA dress and heels and, for variety maybe, a photograph of whatever they had for lunch.

11-07-2010
rising star

Quote:
Well, what makes you qualified enough to say they're not qualified enough? I mean there are some cases when it's made obvious someone has no knowledge on what they're speaking about, and I agree that's frustrating and irritating. But honestly, you'd be hard pressed to find those without opinions, and who withhold from ever sharing them. And after all, what you have posted is simply your own opinion.

Perhaps, you're referring to only specific cases (though you did say "advice of any kind"), however, if you mean people freely sharing their opinions and advice in general, I don't personally have a problem with it. And frankly, I don't very well like people that don't seem to have any opinions of their own, that say, "I don't know," all the time and won't loosen up and share what they think. I believe everyone should be entitled to have and share their opinions.
Hey I have 0 against freedom of speech, but if I waste my personal time on reading plain opinions they should at least be from people with a certain background (studied the topic, work in the industry…) otherwise I consider them superfluous

The history of a person defines the importance of their opinion (on a specific topic): Nobel price winner > student, Gerhard Richter > then a 16 year old boy who hobby-paints

11-07-2010
V.I.P.

it seems like anybody with a camera and an allowance from rich parents has become a fashion blogger.

i have yet to see someone with a real job who works hard for their money have an interesting blog. because so far it s only been girls who just go out of their teen years who get money from their parents and women who get money from their husbands.
and to be honest, that doesn t do it for me. style is not all about the brands you re wearing.
they re making it seem like if you don t have designer items you re not stylish
another thing is, all bloggers seem to be wearing the exact same thing. just like when am on the street and all girls are dressed the same, well bloggers managed to do that on the internet.
i just can t wait for this blogger thing to be over

sea of shoes had the chance to design shoes, and her collection was terrible. Bryan boy got a marc jacobs bag named after him, karla got a coach bag, i mean this is too much, don t you think.

i don t find that they contribute to fashion. few years from now nobody will know who they are

Last edited by FASHIONLOVA; 11-07-2010 at 09:27 AM.
11-07-2010
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnstLudwig View Post
Hey I have 0 against freedom of speech, but if I waste my personal time on reading plain opinions they should at least be from people with a certain background (studied the topic, work in the industry…) otherwise I consider them superfluous

The history of a person defines the importance of their opinion (on a specific topic): Nobel price winner > student, Gerhard Richter > then a 16 year old boy who hobby-paints
Actually, the fantastic thing about modern societies is that we went away from "What the minister says is always right" and instead set up a number of rules and apply those, thus allowing ANYONE who can make the proper argument as significant as another person whom people may listen to based on their position.

Naturally, holding a certain title means something. But it is important to remember it does not mean everything.

You simply have to use your own mind to assess whether something is worth something or not - there are no short cuts.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bloggers, fashion, thoughts