How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-07-2010
boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahslope View Post
I'd think I'd actually find an opposing opinion on my view of tumblr authentic, if someone who disagreed with me didn't have a tumblr. Tumblr is the poor man's blogger.
Unless someone here is working for Tumblr, I fail to see how their opinions would be inauthentic due to using the software itself. For someone who complains about the narcissistic tendencies of their generation it is more than a little snide to be automatically dismissive of the opinions of your fellow posters... I trust that everyone in this thread is speaking their mind and sharing their real opinions, whether or not they use a certain blogging tool.

Last edited by Luxx; 12-07-2010 at 01:23 PM.

12-07-2010
windowshopping

I've found reading all of this quite interesting, and I think it also speaks to the perceptions around blogging and the different types. Blogs are a place to express - whether it's personal style, fashion commentary, or even just personal opinion. The critiques are endless on everyone's blogs, but I think that's the hidden beauty. The best thing about blogs is that they are free - you don't have to pay to subscribe (much like a magazine), and they're interactive. I will agree that forums (such as this) are the best way to have a dialogue, but having them through blogs are also great.

I know it sounds childish and frivolous, but if you don't like a blog, you're not required to bookmark it or read it. I think there's something in human nature where everyone wants to be heard and for their opinions to be validated, and blogs are a great way to accomplish that. I know I sound like Suzy Sunshine in all of that but realistically it's everyone's prerogative to their opinion and to ignore...exercise yours.

Are some blogs pretentious? Absolutely. Do I agree with every blogger's opinion? Of course not. Solution? I just don't read them. They're not detracting from the space in the blogosphere.

12-07-2010
front row

Quote:
I know it sounds childish and frivolous, but if you don't like a blog, you're not required to bookmark it or read it.
if i could give you double karma i would.

12-07-2010
front row

From reading back a few pages I can agree with many peoples points of view.
I believe that it is important to post about what you find interesting and what kind of things you would like to read. For example when talking to Susie Bubble for my dissertation she has never gone in a certain direction for anyone.
Obviously you don't want to get too self indulgent....

I think it is true though if you don't like a blog you won't read it again. It's the same with magazines or newspapers. If your not digging it you won't pick it up again.
I don't think people have to be 'insiders' either or that they are people who want to be in the industry. I think the thought behind the blog is the main thing.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouschic View Post
I've found reading all of this quite interesting, and I think it also speaks to the perceptions around blogging and the different types. Blogs are a place to express - whether it's personal style, fashion commentary, or even just personal opinion. The critiques are endless on everyone's blogs, but I think that's the hidden beauty. The best thing about blogs is that they are free - you don't have to pay to subscribe (much like a magazine), and they're interactive. I will agree that forums (such as this) are the best way to have a dialogue, but having them through blogs are also great.

I know it sounds childish and frivolous, but if you don't like a blog, you're not required to bookmark it or read it. I think there's something in human nature where everyone wants to be heard and for their opinions to be validated, and blogs are a great way to accomplish that. I know I sound like Suzy Sunshine in all of that but realistically it's everyone's prerogative to their opinion and to ignore...exercise yours.

Are some blogs pretentious? Absolutely. Do I agree with every blogger's opinion? Of course not. Solution? I just don't read them. They're not detracting from the space in the blogosphere.
A+
There's a lot of useless whining going on in here. Criticism is fine; there's a reason why I don't read 99% of PS blogs. But a lot of what's being said smells of a bit of jealousy imo.

Scroll bar + red x .....learn em, use em, love em.

12-07-2010
flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:

you're funny...

i don't think you sound even remotely childish or frivolous...
but i do think that everything you said is quite obvious and i think that we all know that we have the option to ignore what we don't like...
just as we have the option to discuss what we don't like and/or why we have that opinion...

some may choose to ignore...
some may choose to discuss...

it's really the same thing...
people expressing themselves in the way they like best......

:p

* and in a way...
the bad ones do detract...for multiple reasons...
not that they take away space...
but that they take UP space and make it harder to find the good stuff...
and also...
it's guilt by association...
if you have a blog...and everyone starts hating blogs because of all the bad ones...
it's bad for the good blogs because people aren't going to be reading/finding them...

not so good for anyone that......

the personal expression part is good though...
i think everyone here would agree with that...

welcome to tFS...

Last edited by softgrey; 12-07-2010 at 05:46 PM.
12-07-2010
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post
Unless someone here is working for Tumblr, I fail to see how their opinions would be inauthentic due to using the software itself. For someone who complains about the narcissistic tendencies of their generation it is more than a little snide to be automatically dismissive of the opinions of your fellow posters... I trust that everyone in this thread is speaking their mind and sharing their real opinions, whether or not they use a certain blogging tool.
I should've re-worded my sentence better. As I didn't mean to insinuate that using different software is inauthentic. That's ridiculous. What I was trying to say is that with each tumblr I see, people's intents with the photos seem inauthentic. I can never tell if I'm reading the opinion of the blogger of the tumblr, the reblogger, or the blogger who is reblogging the reblogger. To me it just feels as if some people who have tumblrs go "Oh look that's a cool picture that will make me seem deep and cool." The actions of some of them feel very glib. As for calling me snide,the people who were replying in defense of tumblr had tumblrs themselves. So right away they're already subjective to it. I just wanted to see if anyone who didn't have a tumblr would share their opinion on it. Which you don't seem to have, so thanks for sharing your opinion on it.

I called Tumblr the poor man's blogger, because it essentially seems like it? Alot more time goes into making your blog on blogger look really good as opposed to tumblr, no? I could be wrong though.That's where the poor man's blogger came.

I dare someone to show me a tumblr, that isn't anything from what I've described or mocked in my previous posts.

12-07-2010
backstage pass

micahslope, Oh, I better understand what you said before now, and do indeed agree in a lot of ways. Tumblr's feature of reblogging does seem almost like a cheat, does it not? It's like letting everyone else do the leg work and merely lifting a finger to hit "reblog". Easy, perhaps, too easy?

It took me over a year to reblog anything, and I still prefer hand selecting, writing, and finding my own content. I did eventually cave and have now reblogged a few times, but I use the reblog button very, very sparingly.

And yes, there seem to be numerous blogs that all look eerily similar there. This...
Quote:
"Oh look that's a cool picture that will make me seem deep and cool."
...certainly seems true, at times. Of course, in today's times, it's excruciatingly difficult to be original, anyhow. Still...

On Tumblr, there's also hundreds of decent looking and lovely templates to choose from and with just a click you can have something looking fresh and professional. However, I think mostly this is a good thing, I'd rather the convenience of this than the eye-sore of layouts I often see on Blogger (due to the fact that creating a personalized layout requires a certain level of skill). Forgive me, if that sounds harsh...

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
* and in a way...
the bad ones do detract...for multiple reasons...
not that they take away space...
but that they take UP space and make it harder to find the good stuff...
and also...
it's guilt by association...
if you have a blog...and everyone starts hating blogs because of all the bad ones...
it's bad for the good blogs because people aren't going to be reading/finding them...
That's a really good point - it does certainly make it difficult to find the good ones. And everyone has to find the bloggers that appeal to their style or taste or sensibility. I've certainly had to go through my fair share of style blogs I didn't like before I found ones that I do. It's also unfortunate when people or the media are exposed to blogs they don't link...it just contributes to creating a bad image and could possibly create a negative stereotype (which is the last thing the blogging community needs).

Just trying to contribute to the conversation and perhaps state some of the obvious. I think it's a great discussion that's going on, and it's nice to see some fresh perspectives on some of the mainstream popular blogs.

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
welcome to tFS...
And I can't believe I forgot it in my last post, but thank-you for the welcome. I think I'm going to quite like it here.

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahslope View Post

I dare someone to show me a tumblr, that isn't anything from what I've described or mocked in my previous posts.
Well I'm not sure if this tumblr will change your mind or not, but it's worth a try. tfs member inaya's tumblr stray souls is beautiful, obviously well thought out, and selective.

In my personal opinion I don't see why tumblrs have to be these deep meaningful blogs. I have a tumblr because I like imagery, I like sharing it and seeing it. It's as simple as that. (At least for me)

12-07-2010
fashion insider

Quote:

First, blogs are put out in the public domain. They are thus fair game for critique and commentary. If you are bold enough to put yourself out there, you should be able to "take it" when people disagree or dislike your contents. We can also switch off TV shows we don't like to watch, but does it mean we cannot express opinions about it? So we are "exercising" our prerogative here, as you seem to champion, I don't get why you have to tell us "if you don't like it, don't read it." Why can't we read what we don't like, and then comment on why we don't like it? It is a social phenomenon that has significant impact on this generation's thoughts, attitudes, etc., we should rightly comment about it.

Last edited by Zazie; 12-07-2010 at 09:57 PM.
12-07-2010
backstage pass

Zazie, well said, you make an excellent point, from a perspective not often thought of, I hadn't yet even thought of it quite that way, but all very true. After all, I don't like to turn on the news very often, because it tends to be on the terribly depressing side, but that doesn't mean I should ignore all that's happening in the world. In fact this a trap many fall into, it's in a sense like, "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil" and yet evil happens, and we should speak up and take a stand against.

Of course, blogs aren't really of the magnitude of evil forces, per se. Mostly, if we don't like it, it's not because it breaks our heart or that we don't want to bear any of others' burdens or anything of that sort, more so, that it's merely our taste. But we don't have to try to wash it away from all memory and pretend as if it never happened either. Commentary, even when not highlighting the bright parts, can be a very good thing indeed.

Last edited by Susanna-Cole; 12-07-2010 at 10:07 PM.
12-07-2010
Looking Up

Any smart blogger should be open to negative feedback. Trial and error was the key to human civilization. Failure to "handle" negative comments is quite silly because you can just as easily say "if you can't handle the truth then save yourself the pain and stop blogging".

12-07-2010
flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_art_style View Post
Well I'm not sure if this tumblr will change your mind or not, but it's worth a try. tfs member inaya's tumblr stray souls is beautiful, obviously well thought out, and selective.

In my personal opinion I don't see why tumblrs have to be these deep meaningful blogs. I have a tumblr because I like imagery, I like sharing it and seeing it. It's as simple as that. (At least for me)

OMG..
the first time i ever paid attention to tumbler was because i looked at the link at inaya's sig and went to her blog and such...

and OMG...
inaya's tumbler is ASTONISHING>>>...

it is...it really is...
i got lost in there for hours...
i want to go back there and visit...
again...and again...and again...

yeah- if tumblers are like that...
i like them...
:p

*and i don't have a tumbler...
i barely even have a blog...

Last edited by softgrey; 12-07-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bloggers, fashion, thoughts