How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-07-2010
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zazie View Post
First, blogs are put out in the public domain. They are thus fair game for critique and commentary. If you are bold enough to put yourself out there, you should be able to "take it" when people disagree or dislike your contents. We can also switch off TV shows we don't like to watch, but does it mean we cannot express opinions about it? So we are "exercising" our prerogative here, as you seem to champion, I don't get why you have to tell us "if you don't like it, don't read it." Why can't we read what we don't like, and then comment on why we don't like it? It is a social phenomenon that has significant impact on this generation's thoughts, attitudes, etc., we should rightly comment about it.
Actually I completely agree with you. I was just trying to join the dialogue on this as I actually do read and sift through a lot of blogs and do get really frustrated with their contents. Quite honestly up until recently hadn't really found a place that was having such a candid commentary about what was coming out of it all. Blogging has certainly made an impact on the way that people view fashion, social interactions, and the world in general and to be able to have a space like this to comment on this is really beneficial. The feedback and commentary is a huge part of the way it evolves. Believe me, I agree with a great number of the posters on this thread about what has come out of the fashion blogging community.

I really do apologize if my earlier comment was off-putting, it was just a thought I had when I was reading through the thread and thought I would share.

12-07-2010
flaunt the imperfection

does anyone think it's narcissistic to have a blog?...

12-07-2010
fashion elite

I wouldn't say narcissistic. I would say anyone with a blog has a certain sense of confidence, which some times may not be backed by talent or astuteness. But that only matters with certain types of blogs (ex. personal style, advice).

and inaya's tumblr made me believe tumblr was cool.

Last edited by nyc_art_style; 12-07-2010 at 11:59 PM.
13-07-2010
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post

well it fits in the digital-exhibitionistic world with facebook and other social network sites

13-07-2010
scenester

I think a lot of fashion blogs are kind narcissistic
...the ones I read and get inspiration from (there are very few of them) seem to aim to have some sort of genuine interactions with the readers...I think that is what really sets a blog apart from others
the narcissistic ones I think come across as nothing more than real slaves to fashion and trends

13-07-2010
windowshopping

Bloggers are here to stay
Everyone should be free to express their opinions, you don't need to have qualifications to be able to have an opinion on fashion. How you express that is entirely individual, and if someone doesn't like it don't read it.

I have my own blog, and I have an opinion, but I don't have the means to do the work experience on no pay, that is required to get in to the industry, so I made my own opportunity. The magazine Editors feathers are ruffled, becuase they believe they should have all the privileges, anyone can be a blogger, but a good fashion writer will always rise to the cream of the crop.

clever ain't wise

Well at this point, it's not really about whether there should be blogs or not. Everyone has one. Personally, I think many the best blogs are about images. That which cannot be said, and is unlikely to be completely boring. Preferably arranged in a way to - quite alone - convey a mood, a feeling, a moment in time. Obviously, that's reflected by my own interests.

Since I rarely read fashion magazines but just focus on the images all this talk about how important writing is just kind of weird. Does anyone really care? Unless you are as fun as Diana Vreeland, and I mean, who is, name one? Isn't it just about applying some elementary rules and the rest is name dropping?

It's very hard to write anything interesting about art or fashion. It often gets very narcissistic and banale.

The images are really it for me, that is what it is all about. Hence, writing to show good taste, connections and language skills does not interest me. I'm sure someone looking for an employee might, though, and I suppose that is partly what many personal style blogs are about.

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 13-07-2010 at 04:32 AM.
13-07-2010
boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post

Is it narcissistic to have a Facebook? A MySpace? Twitter? To put all your music on Last.fm, to have a picture of yourself in existence online, etc, etc, etc. The argument could be made that any of those things are relatively narcissistic, but I think we are living in a time period wherein all those things have become normal in a way, at least for my generation. Almost everyone I know has an identity online in some respect and I think a blog is just another online outpost, it depends on the person behind it. Though admittedly I think some people have used their blogs as a means of tapping into their inner narcissist, I find it unusual that some people post pictures of themselves in various various states of undress online. I've seen people do it and I never quite understand the purpose of it.

Though maybe I'm just jealous of their willingness to let it all hang out

Last edited by Luxx; 13-07-2010 at 08:15 AM.
13-07-2010
boop

RE: Blogs and commentary

Yes people should be able to comment, but at the same time people often forget that the person they are talking to has feelings. Every blogger should be prepared for mean comments but they should also be prepared to know when to put their foot down. There is constructive criticism which is always a good thing and then there are plain ol' trolls which no one should have to put up with. Ultimately a blog is a personal site and if the person doesn't want to deal with people insulting them (some comments border on harassment - to say you don't agree with the person's opinion is one thing but to say they deserve to die or unleash a string of curses or threats is another thing and those comments do happen, I've seen them) or posting off topic junk (spam comments are the worst - who wants an advertisement for shag rugs all up in their blog) it is really their call.

But they should say in advance what their policy is. I like how Tommy at Jak and Jil made a post flat out saying his policy on comments. That way there is no confusion.

Last edited by Luxx; 13-07-2010 at 08:32 AM.
13-07-2010
trendsetter

regarding narcissism... I don't necesarily join a blog with a narcisist actitude. Actually many people feel more comfortable on giving opinions and expressing themselves behind the anonymity of Internet,

However, It's true that narcisism exists and I see that more often in some streetstyle blogs.

windowshopping

fyi Tavi is 13 for the next 7 months or so. I'm not sure why people rag on her. Anyone of us here would die to be in the same position. I met her three seasons ago outside of Thakoon in NYC and she knew her stuff and knew EVERYONES face that was walking in...Editors, models, designers. I don't mean she was friends with them, but she knew their work, articles about the previous seasons' collections, what designs were in what editorial. What shoes they were wearing. I was blown away. Even though at the time, I thought she was knew all this because she was a child of privilege. It turns out, she's from an average family from a Chicago suburbs(or somewhere abouts).

I always hear people say "the industry is just using her". Fashion uses EVERYONE, but the fact that they care what a 13 year old thinks and does is pretty amazing to me.

13-07-2010
V.I.P.

To say anyone here would die to be in her position is an overstatement, not everyone here is a blogger and consequently, not everyone wants to be on a bloggers' top of the game.. probably hard to understand if you're a blogger, but.. there are still some non-bloggers left.

I visited Tavi's blog for the first time a few months ago, I don't know what the material is on a regular basis (and I certainly don't want to find out as her site took a while to load!), I just got to read a long entry on Terry Richardson's work and besides the fact that I happened to agree, it just felt genuinely sincere, very thought-provoking, and perfectly articulated without bordering into underage pretentiousness.. I know many people like taking credit off her, going as far as claiming someone's writing it all for her, but I think the nerdy passion that girl has for fashion isn't very different than the passion other kids of the same age share for computer games or sport (except they're not as ambitious) and they're obnoxiously well-spoken about their interest!, god knows how long it will last, maybe Tavi will get sick of it as she grows up and ends up moving on to civil engineering!, but what she does right now feels sincere, but it speaks about the new observers of fashion.. how fashion has gone beyond being a business of watch-and-buy and has become a field that anyone can browse through and publish an opinion out of it. I find that positive to some degree, except that, aside from the attempt to 'rave' about bloggers, I'm not sure the fashion industry has quite prepared itself to deal with these new informal viewers that have no compromises thus can scrutinize all the things that are 50 years behind in the industry (racism, sexual harrassment, etc.. ) and have rarely being addressed in the public eye, let alone questioned with such insistence and frequency.

I can't say I'm not intrigued on the direction fashion will take when all the big dinosaurs are out and the new ones are forced to respond to their new wide audience.. perhaps they'll realise people are no longer impressed by 'how I lost 50 kilos eating apples'/'how to get your husband back'/'here's an untalented new designer we want to push down your throat' kind of articles aimed at wealthy housewives, embrace all of their readers, and as they're competing with the amount of information online (free and accessible for everyone), they will hopefully start pushing the one thing most bloggers are failing to do - digging out relevant information and be more insightful. Here's hoping.

clever ain't wise

^I also read her blog first when she talked about Richardson. I didn't agree with what she had to say at all, really, and it was nothing new. However, her style is very creative and beautiful, the photographs turn out great and she is a very smart girl....still I find it a bit funny that Tavi and BB are the token bloggers. Not that they are talentless, because they are not, but they are just so very different from most editors etc.

Sort of the short, talkative, models...

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 13-07-2010 at 03:44 PM.
13-07-2010
front row

There are just too many fashion bloggers. You really have to search well in vast amount of blogs before finding the ones you really like. But I think that is a difficulty everyone is facing with the Internet.

fashion insider

I'm DEFINITELY *not* a blogger and do not intend EVER to become one, even one with thousands of shrieking teenaged girls and boys *dying* to be me. So what if she spends all of her free time poring over fashion trivia and memorize every detail? I don't doubt that anyone who invests that kind of time on fashion will not be able to attain that kind of knowledge. I have only seen her blog once or twice, and do not have an opinion on her or her blog. It does not impress me in any way. If you are referring to my critique, the "rag on", I presume, my opinion of her as a "stylist" is based on her so-called "mood boards", and they are atrocious (I gave my reasons). I have nothing personal against her, but her cut-n-paste effort is extremely amateur. There are bloggers with better lay-out pages on their blogs than her "mood boards". Maybe she'll become an outstanding stylist one day, but for now, she is somewhat ridiculous.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bloggers, fashion, thoughts