How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
13-07-2010
  106
front row
 
Maxxierie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Malaysia
Gender: femme
Posts: 313
I actually hope that Tavi doesn't get bored and move on to whatever. I like her ingenuine take on fashion. Yes, it can be abit naive and we may disagree with her at times but isn't that the fun of it all?

You've gotta give the bloggers some credit for memorizing all the fashion facts. Eventhough, I would think that sometimes it's just superficial fashion knowledge but hey, maybe they have their own reason. Tavi's style is very subjective. You may think twice about it or just deem it unfashionable.

The sudden burst of bloggers everywhere is like all those fashiontrends. You know... the dishevelled look with ripped tees and acid-washed jeans that were all the seasons but now, they've been put back into the farthest reaches of closets. Even, Balmain has moved on. I'm just hoping to see how far all the bloggers will go and whether they will make fashion history.

  Reply With Quote
 
14-07-2010
  107
front row
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brisbane
Gender: femme
Posts: 388
ones i do not understand are the ones by "designers" who produce some of the most horrible looking and badly sewn garments i think ive ever seen.
regardless... you have to respect people for having such high confidence in themselves...

__________________
yours truly, madeleine louise
www.wekilledcouture.com
  Reply With Quote
14-07-2010
  108
windowshopping
 
sublibrarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 19
^ Balmain is a borefest already xP

If I had to pinpoint one reason why I think blogs are relevant is because of how highly complex and how many layers the whole phenomenon has. Diversity plays a big part. Even the clutter itself is interesting and speaks volumes about how things spread.

There is enough space and audience for everything. I don't think we should disregard blogs that don't process their content as easy because in the process of selection and screening itself there is an identity being poured into the blog. In the same manner, blogs that only go by obvious trends might not appeal to some of us, but I am sure some people with a less bookish approach to fashion do appreciate it.

People inhabit their blogs like they inhabit their lives and there is always the allure of being the bystander, peeking through the window searching for worlds vaster than our own. Glad there's plenty.

__________________
you used that brush for the cat and ruined my voodoo love spell .Golden Acapulco.
  Reply With Quote
14-07-2010
  109
backstage pass
 
Susanna-Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Gender: femme
Posts: 702
About the overinflation of blogs ... The thing is, even if there were less blogs, that doesn't mean that they would be of better quality. More may be better, because if you're looking for a blog or blogs on a specific subject, yes, your search may require a little more patience but chances are you'll find at least one of quality. It's like looking for gems in the rough, but I rather like that.

__________________

Last edited by Susanna-Cole; 14-07-2010 at 09:04 AM.
  Reply With Quote
14-07-2010
  110
front row
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brisbane
Gender: femme
Posts: 388
^^ fantastic way of looking at it

im just wondering why there are so many negative feelings towards other bloggers when the majority of repeat posters in here actually have blogs... it just doesn't seem very supportive

__________________
yours truly, madeleine louise
www.wekilledcouture.com
  Reply With Quote
14-07-2010
  111
front row
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brisbane
Gender: femme
Posts: 388
maybe im just a big hippie and want everyone to just get along

__________________
yours truly, madeleine louise
www.wekilledcouture.com
  Reply With Quote
14-07-2010
  112
V.I.P.
 
FASHIONLOVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_art_style View Post
i agree with you on most points, especially the ones i quoted. however, i do feel that bloggers are here to stay. the internet isn't going anywhere, so bloggers certainly have nothing to worried about. perhaps big companies will find a way to blog creatively and that's how the bloggers we know of now may get pushed out. but i don't think they're a fad.

but you are right, they don't really contribute. i have a blog, but i'm certainly not using it as a one way ticket to fashion week. so what about the bloggers who do get those opportunities? what are they adding to fashion? just their opinions... but is that good enough? and i haven't seen a blogger yet whose personal outfits are so outstanding that i feel they make a dent on fashion. i do admit that i feel that tommy ton of jak and jil (and others in his category) are valuable with their fashion week imagery. However when you add that up, it's like 3 people. So what about the others? What about Tavi, and Bryan Boy, or even Rumi? Should they enjoy the success they have been given? What are they going to do in order to convince us they've earned it?

i agree about those and a few others, most of us love looking at their pictures from fashion week.

but the others, i think they ve been given too much power. i also think it depends on the designer, if they like the blog they invite you to shows and send you freebies. based on what?? i have no clue, pure luck i guess??

__________________
Stars Are Not Born, They Are Styled
fashionablymode.blogspot.com
  Reply With Quote
14-07-2010
  113
V.I.P.
 
FASHIONLOVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusilla_ View Post
^exactly. Not everyone who has a fashion blog even wants to use it for what you say, or wants to use it as a stepping stone to a career in fashion.

As for fashion bloggers who do have a wider impact, I think Susie Bubble is head and shoulders above the rest- she started off as an outsider but her blog won her enough recognition for her to be hired by Dazed. And her outfits most definitely do make a dent in fashion, largely because she follows her own instincts and doesn't really drool all over whatever's 'hot' at the moment (whether it's Balmain or Celine) but does her own thing. And I have noticed that things she tries out when most people still think they're too 'weird' and 'out there', sometimes tend to show up as styling ideas a while after she tried them out (early example: woolly jumpers with PVC leggings, in 2006).

Absolutely. Everyone's got to start out somewhere, the idea of the validity of opinions going by a hierarchy of who's "important" enough to say it really bites. Surely the logic of an argument should be seen irrespective of who makes it?

PS: FASHIONLOVA, I often find the blogs of people with 'real', non-fashion jobs more interesting than blogs by students or fashion insiders- Kingdom of Style (Queen Michelle is a graphic designer, though she blogged about losing her job a while ago) and Dreamecho (who is an electrical engineer, and who sadly doesn't update that often) are two great examples of just that. Though I do admit, I like 'insider' blogs like Libertylondongirl and Disneyrollergirl too, they're well-written and informative rather than just being faff.

i do follow kingdom of style and she s one of the bloggers i like. she s creative and obviously dedicated to fashion.

don t get me wrong i read sea of shoes blog and lifeintravel and rumi s all the time, but like i said, i don t find they contribute to fashion evolving, other than their blogs being like a print ad for a designer

__________________
Stars Are Not Born, They Are Styled
fashionablymode.blogspot.com
  Reply With Quote
14-07-2010
  114
V.I.P.
 
FASHIONLOVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberwyn View Post
Harsh but true -- I agree with most of your points here. There are blogs out there with people who are actually in the industry. Those are always the most interesting blogs, and it's something I try to change with my own blogs.

But blogging isnt going anywhere.
i know blogging isn t going anywhere but those bloggers will be replaced by new ones, without a doubt

__________________
Stars Are Not Born, They Are Styled
fashionablymode.blogspot.com
  Reply With Quote
14-07-2010
  115
V.I.P.
 
FASHIONLOVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
In the case of Sea of Shoes, judging the the type of commentary I've read around (especially in this very forum) regarding her social position, opportunities and age, I think it's understandable that she decided to make feedback less accessible for people that, resented by the fact that she's around their age and enjoying a lifestyle that doesn't strike them as 'fair', would probably just drop destructive criticism and walk away.
Her 'email me' method is the traditional one, more traditional than the 'leave comments' one.. it actually feels more sincere in some way.. leaving comments in public and clearly just the positive/flattering ones can be very self-serving in some way, and then it also serves those leaving something vague (e.g. 'you and your tights are so cute!') for the sake of promoting their own blog.

I think the blog of that girl represents a lot of things that have derived out of the fashion blogger phenomenon:
In one hand you have a young girl that clearly has a thirst to learn and challenge herself and her viewers through the material she acquires, she understands it surprisingly well, or at least pretends to do so, but generally that's just very rare in bloggers, most bloggers, let's be honest, have no clue on what they're talking about, they will praise a collection or an editorial but are not visibly interested in what's behind it, in making you wonder, in publicly and fearlessly attempting to break down in pieces what they're presenting and putting it back together in their own way, they just want to have that collection in their blog. Her circumstances and 'special access' do help her, but autodidacticism combined with receptiveness to process it is a very very rare combination that has nothing to do with social background and that girl just has it. What's unfortunate about her blog and also quite representative about other/most bloggers is the increasing attention that leads to an increasing need for consumerism in order to keep people interested, and before you know it, your blog is more about latest acquisitions than actual expression and experiments of your own personal style, which, for someone young, is too much pressure EVEN IF you have easy access to whatever you want.. mostly because being young is the time to experiment, explore, make mistakes and find what belongs to your skin and makes you feel like yourself.. once you've even figured out who you are!. I find that a constant switch of wardrobe, a desperate incorporation of what's trendy and trying to decipher what's on the horizon to be 'ahead' of the road yourself and stay relevant, all through something as personal as style can be, is very limiting, it makes you miss the incredible freedom of intimacy and turns you into a victim of the boutique-like rules set up for your blog by yourself and by the demand it generated. I think so much phasing, fickleness and keeping attention as the main priority is what ultimately makes someone with great potential become less of an individual, settling for what appeals to others and consequently, more prompt to be forgotten. Not before inviting their readers to be just like that.

Attention is such a scary weapon and I'm not sure most people are as prepared for it as they think they are.

(I was going to say what's on the other hand but got carried away with the first one that I just forgot it, I should get back in here tomorrow )

Susanne-Cole, don't apologise for long posts, that's what this entire section was created for, to discuss things 'in depth'.. as long as we don't end up discussing YOUR blogging strategies in depth, I think it's great to read what everyone has to say about it. :p

i still don t know what to think about the email only thing.
and yes i agree with you, she now has to keep her readers interested, and i have to say she s been very boring lately
another thing, i don t think a 16 yr old should be wearing thousands of dollars worth of clothes no matter how rich her parents are.
she obviously doesn t work for it. and it s just nowhere near what real 16 yr olds wear.

__________________
Stars Are Not Born, They Are Styled
fashionablymode.blogspot.com
  Reply With Quote
14-07-2010
  116
V.I.P.
 
FASHIONLOVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizree View Post
Any smart blogger should be open to negative feedback. Trial and error was the key to human civilization. Failure to "handle" negative comments is quite silly because you can just as easily say "if you can't handle the truth then save yourself the pain and stop blogging".
if you put yourself outthere you d have to know that not only roses will be coming back
disabling the comments is like force feeding your point of view on people.

__________________
Stars Are Not Born, They Are Styled
fashionablymode.blogspot.com
  Reply With Quote
14-07-2010
  117
don't look down
 
tigerrouge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Béal Feirste
Gender: femme
Posts: 11,937
That said, given the faceless nonsense that often passes for 'feedback' on the internet, I can see why a blogger might choose a format where they can reduce the presence of abuse on their site. If someone wishes to keep the content of their site sounding professional and polite so that visitors can have a positive experience, I would see that as a practical decision, rather than the act of a dictator.

__________________
You're perfect, yes, it's true. But without me, you're only you.
Status: Online
 
Reply With Quote
14-07-2010
  118
V.I.P.
 
McClaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: United States
Gender: femme
Posts: 7,051
How is not putting up with negative comments force feeding? If someone doesn't like it then don't visit. If it's your blog, your domain then I feel like you should decide whether or not you want to put up with that stuff, I mean it's your blog why let others make it something you dread or don't enjoy. Like you have some sort of obligation to make it slightly miserable for yourself? I do allow comments but have a report button there. Some people just don't want to waste that kind of mental energy on negative posters. If you get people saying "that's ugly" or something along those lines then it's useless I'm more prone to listen to people who say "this is ugly and here is why..."
I don't know, I just think blogging should be something fun.

__________________
“The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows.”-Buddha

Last edited by McClaire; 14-07-2010 at 05:55 PM.
  Reply With Quote
14-07-2010
  119
backstage pass
 
Susanna-Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Gender: femme
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by wekilledcouture View Post
^^ fantastic way of looking at it

im just wondering why there are so many negative feelings towards other bloggers when the majority of repeat posters in here actually have blogs... it just doesn't seem very supportive
I suppose it's because there's enough bloggers that it's something like a new species and with this much company, it's unlikely that everybody will like and support everybody else.However, I'm not sure if you meant negativity towards the bloggers themselves or against the act of blogging to begin with or generalizations towards all bloggers (i.e., bloggers are all narcissists)? Because if it's either of the latter, two than yes, I could see how that would be awfully hypocritical. It's like saying, "I don't like you because you're human", when you're human to. Can't really hate on someone for blogging in itself, if you blog too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wekilledcouture View Post
maybe im just a big hippie and want everyone to just get along
Aw, don't worry, I'm the same way! I hate to see people fight, I feel sick about it, and sometimes act as peacemaker to a fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASHIONLOVA View Post
but the others, i think they ve been given too much power. i also think it depends on the designer, if they like the blog they invite you to shows and send you freebies. based on what?? i have no clue, pure luck i guess??
I'd like to know, as well, as I've been invited to events and fashion weeks and been offered freebies, asked to host giveaways, etc ... and it seems slightly ridiculous considering I don't even blog about fashion. And if any of these people actually read my blog (like they claim to in their emails), they'd probably have picked up my anti-materialistic spirit and realize I have no interest in being about "products" or "things", and no, I don't want your money!

However, I imagine these designers/companies/etc have strategies when extending invitations or offering products to bloggers. They're not being nice, in most cases, they want something from you in return, and think you'll be a publicity benefit to them. I think it has little to do with luck (except at maybe being found in the first place), but then again, I don't really believe in luck to begin with.

__________________
  Reply With Quote
14-07-2010
  120
front row
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brisbane
Gender: femme
Posts: 388
Quote:
I suppose it's because there's enough bloggers that it's something like a new species and with this much company, it's unlikely that everybody will like and support everybody else.However, I'm not sure if you meant negativity towards the bloggers themselves or against the act of blogging to begin with or generalizations towards all bloggers (i.e., bloggers are all narcissists)? Because if it's either of the latter, two than yes, I could see how that would be awfully hypocritical. It's like saying, "I don't like you because you're human", when you're human to. Can't really hate on someone for blogging in itself, if you blog too.
Yes the latter, alot of negativity towards the act of blogging - when most are actually bloggers. Its highly hypocritical.
And i wonder if there are not other reasons why people resent personal style bloggers...

__________________
yours truly, madeleine louise
www.wekilledcouture.com
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bloggers, fashion, thoughts
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.