How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-03-2011
Amour Comme Hiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
arrogant--and the ultimate in elitism,pretense,ego....self-absorbed and pompous. this is the part of fashion that i unequivocally loathe with passion.

my feeling is,it amazes me how much a designer of his status is often allowed a pass on certain matters but the moment an indie designer presents something in a different manner....be it and installation,static or just anything of an esoteric nature....they immediately get dubbed 'pretentious'. and let's not forget,their work still gets seen and is allowed criticism. why is that?

of course,that is tom ford. he's always been arrogant and always will be arrogant. i'm sure all of his celeb friends got to see the collection though....you can count on that.
Most of them were probably modeling it...

I'm going to have to go with pretension. I can understand an Alexander Wang, DVF or Celine being afraid of knockoffs; they make real ready to wear. His clothes are practically couture in terms of their intricacy and formality; I doubt Forever 21 is going to make bank doing a knockoff of a long, sequined skin tight red carpet dress. Fashion is art; art is critiqued. That's the way things have worked for hundreds of years, long before Twitter and fast fashion.

02-03-2011
barcode

I'm confused as to why people are discussing the concern of his clothes being knocked off. As far as I recall his main reasoning for not making images of the collection readily available was his concern that being able to see them immediately and repeatedly after the collection is presented would eventually result in potential clients losing interest in the clothes due to overexposure, which frankly is a pretty legitimate concern. I mean can anyone honestly say that they aren't already sick of seeing this season's Prada and Marc Jacobs pieces despite the fact that they're just now arriving in stores?

And let's not kid ourselves by thinking that just because his pieces employ a high level of craftsmanship and detail that the clothes are safeguarded from the fast fashion industry. All of those fringed pieces he showed for spring are exactly the kind of thing that those companies could very easily knock off, not that the result will look anywhere near as expensive as the real deal, but that's not what fast fashion is about at the end of the day.

02-03-2011
fashion icon

I would call Ford's model brilliant if it could be employed by other designers to the same effect. As it stands his exclusiveness relies heavily on his celebrity status, celebrity friends, and fashion insiders buying into the notion that his designs are some holy grail worth signing over their first-born children to uphold.

If an unknown designer tried to hand editors a nondisclosure form I suspect that designer would remain unknown since he would be viewed as pretentious and not be given the time of day.

Regarding the knockoffs, no one is suggesting the clientele for Tom Ford will be interested in knockoffs. It's precisely the opposite. Seeing cheap people running around in cheap versions of any designer item can lessen its appeal. Think of all the Louis Vuitton knockoffs and fake Birkins.

02-03-2011
fashion insider

I think he's brilliant for the fact he creates such a huge fuss about very little substance. And his celebrity buyers will think they are getting something special when in reality is not different than what any other high profile designer is capable of churning out at the drop of hat. It's like he knows he wouldn't stand a chance if he really had to compete with everyone else, it's a cowardly approach but apparently good for business.

For my part , he is so secretive that becomes irrelevant. When we get to see his secret shows no one is interested anymore.

Last edited by Les_Sucettes; 02-03-2011 at 06:55 PM.
03-03-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownpleasures View Post
Neither.
Merely pretentionism and vanity.
I agree with this. Although, I do appreciate the idea of not seeing a collection til the season for which it was meant is closer. Instead of being pretentious and ~exclusive, I almost wish he would be radical and show spring during fall season and fall during spring. You know, do something actually exciting instead of a show that just instigates another "Hmm" a couple months later.

fashion elite

Neither. I don't see much point in showing a few months later after everyone else and all the privacy. What would be better is showing the collection 6 months before the clothes hit the store and unveiling the campaign at the same time or something like that. It'd mean that the consumers would be able to have more 'impulse' purchases after the initial hype from the press since consumers will have the actual clothes to look at rather than reading blogs etc. Personally it'd make his work be more than a mere blip in time, that I always miss, as currently it's out of sync with everyone else.

Last edited by purplethistle; 03-03-2011 at 05:42 AM.
03-03-2011
scenester

Free individuals can do whatever they want - Tom Ford included.

Personally, I understand the rationale behind his desire to not see his clothes knocked off by H&M or Topshop. But at the same time, I don't understand why critics were banned. Why not force them to wait until May/June to post their critiques like the magazine editors? I just think it's strange to ban only the journalists/writers.

03-03-2011
fashion elite

Quote:
My theory is that his real motive is that he does not want his clothes to compete with other design houses for attention during the RTW seasons so he is withholding his stuff until a less congested time in the fashion cycle.
That's the most logical explanation I've heard for these over-hyped shows.

fashion icon

I think his strategy will backfire. I honestly can't recall what his last collection looked like. I'm sure it's been photographed in editorials but I couldn't pick his collection out of a line-up.

03-03-2011
front row

Neither...

He's famous enough to market his name without a public fashion show to market his brand. Tom Ford is a business/market genius. He knows doing this will give his brand more prestige and exclusivity.

Last edited by Menace; 03-03-2011 at 11:36 PM.
04-03-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
Neither...

He's famous enough to market his name without a public fashion show to market his brand. Tom Ford is a business/market genius. He knows doing this will give his brand more prestige and exclusivity.
i completely agree with this. it's merely people's pre-conceived notions about the designer (as a man) that make this an issue whatsoever. versace atelier has not made a public presentation in years....we did not have a debate over the brilliance or arrogance of donatella versace. ditto riccardo tisci for givenchy couture. it's really a simple business decision. tom ford has rightly assessed that it's not in the best interest of his brand or his person for the shows to get subjected to the negativity that more public shows bring on.

it's like a bunch of old ladies in montgomery alabama screaming and yelling at how mundane a performance of the new york city ballet. why would the new york city ballet feel the need to go out of their way to publicize their shows and subject themselves to that criticism when that's not even the audience they're trying to appeal to.

V.I.P.

^I don't really feel like you can compare the Tom Ford presentations to the Versace Atelier or Givenchy couture because even Donatella and Ricardo allow editors to view the collections without signing waivers and such. Plus, we definitely see pictures of the collection right after it is shown.

I maintain my stance. time will only tell if this is truly brilliant or not....who knows how long he can rely solely on his name

04-03-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
I'm confused as to why people are discussing the concern of his clothes being knocked off. As far as I recall his main reasoning for not making images of the collection readily available was his concern that being able to see them immediately and repeatedly after the collection is presented would eventually result in potential clients losing interest in the clothes due to overexposure, which frankly is a pretty legitimate concern. I mean can anyone honestly say that they aren't already sick of seeing this season's Prada and Marc Jacobs pieces despite the fact that they're just now arriving in stores?

And let's not kid ourselves by thinking that just because his pieces employ a high level of craftsmanship and detail that the clothes are safeguarded from the fast fashion industry. All of those fringed pieces he showed for spring are exactly the kind of thing that those companies could very easily knock off, not that the result will look anywhere near as expensive as the real deal, but that's not what fast fashion is about at the end of the day.

Excellently expressed - thank you. And I quite agree.

Consider the excitment of 'anticipation'. This is what fashion used to be about prior to the coming of the internet. Today everything is about 'instant' - instant messaging, instant gratification, etc. Fashion used to involve the process of building one's collection and having the editors of magazines report on the 'rumors' of a designer's choices for colors, skirt lengths, the cut to a jacket, accessories, etc. It was, believe it or not, very exciting.

It is past time to lengthen our attention span, relish the coming of the new collection, and anticipate the beauty of the designer's vision. I think Mr. Ford is making a return to something he remembers as being the proper way to conduct business. History is on his side - he has already demonstrated that he knows how to deliver the goods to his customer base. He will not disappoint...

fashion icon

Quote:
It is past time to lengthen our attention span, relish the coming of the new collection, and anticipate the beauty of the designer's vision.
Isn't that what we do in the 5-6 month period between the Spring and Fall Shows?

04-03-2011
barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastical View Post
^I don't really feel like you can compare the Tom Ford presentations to the Versace Atelier or Givenchy couture because even Donatella and Ricardo allow editors to view the collections without signing waivers and such. Plus, we definitely see pictures of the collection right after it is shown.

I maintain my stance. time will only tell if this is truly brilliant or not....who knows how long he can rely solely on his name
Not true. Between the time that she was still doing shows and the last few seasons Atelier Versace collections were only visible on the Versace website during the season for which they were designed, meaning we had to wait 'til late summer to see fall, and late winter for spring. It's only recently that images are made available right away.

Last edited by Spike413; 04-03-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
arrogant, brilliant, ford, secret, shows, tom