How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-03-2011
windowshopping

arrogant and pretentious.
I think today with all the live streaming, blogs etc to use such strategy is like to spit against the wind, look at the burberry prorsum - you could buy the clothes just after the runway ends and still it stays desirable during the season for which it was made. I think it doesn't matter WHEN the clothes sells, if it sells WELL - before the start of the season or during the season. the borders of 'seasons' itself are quite symbolic these days. like I could wear today spring-summer, resort or pre-fall or just get smth straight from the aw runway and what of all these is more relevant? it's all such a mess and we got used to it

as for the knockoffs - it's just for different people. the ones who could afford real TF would never buy fake, the ones which couldn't - will never buy real TF, so to each their own. Zara and H&M could copy anything in just 2 weeks, so if the photos will be published let's say in late June - as soon as mid July you could see a knockoffs, after all that's why it's called fast fashion) so in this regard it's also pointless

and I think that exclusiveness of the brand could be achieved by other strategies

04-03-2011
barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat11l13 View Post
arrogant and pretentious.
I think today with all the live streaming, blogs etc to use such strategy is like to spit against the wind, look at the burberry prorsum - you could buy the clothes just after the runway ends and still it stays desirable during the season for which it was made. I think it doesn't matter WHEN the clothes sells, if it sells WELL - before the start of the season or during the season. the borders of 'seasons' itself are quite symbolic these days. like I could wear today spring-summer, resort or pre-fall or just get smth straight from the aw runway and what of all these is more relevant? it's all such a mess and we got used to it

as for the knockoffs - it's just for different people. the ones who could afford real TF would never buy fake, the ones which couldn't - will never buy real TF, so to each their own.
Zara and H&M could copy anything in just 2 weeks, so if the photos will be published let's say in late June - as soon as mid July you could see a knockoffs, after all that's why it's called fast fashion) so in this regard it's also pointless

and I think that exclusiveness of the brand could be achieved by other strategies
But that's not really the point. I don't think any super high-end fashion labels worry about their potential clients buying the knock off instead of the real thing. They worry because the knock offs dilute the luxury and exclusivity of the real thing.

And there is logic to that. Think about it, does anyone consider a genuine Louis Vuitton monogram bag truly luxurious anymore now that the monogram, real and fake, is literally everywhere you turn?

Last edited by Spike413; 04-03-2011 at 10:23 PM.
05-03-2011
trendsetter

Once you appreciate that he's not trying to produce fashion, as such, just beauty, it's a perfectly acceptable stance to take, IMO.

I would say it's neither brilliant, nor arrogant, really; just sensible.

05-03-2011
French Chic

[quote][quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
versace atelier has not made a public presentation in years....we did not have a debate over the brilliance or arrogance of donatella versace.
Sorry for the OT comment here, but I believe it was well documented that when Versace stopped showing their Atelier line in Paris, that it was due to costs. So I doubt it was arrogance on Donatella's part anyhow.

Back on topic, my answer is neither or a little bit of both. I think Ford can and just does, what the hell he wants nowadays and folks can pick the bones out of that until they are blue in the face.

Last edited by Northern Star; 05-03-2011 at 06:14 AM.
06-03-2011
windowshopping

Fair enough it'll be less busy when he brings them out but who's interested by then and people who were always going to buy Tom Ford aren't going to settle for knock offs just because they exist.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
arrogant, brilliant, ford, secret, shows, tom