How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-09-2005
Power to the 99%

What fashion problems need solutions?
As a followup to the innovation thread, what do you think are today's most pressing fashion problems that require solutions?

[hope I posted in the right place ...]

02-09-2005
front row

- How can fashion challenge us mentally/emotionally/spiritually without also challenging us financially?

- How can fashion achieve a more ethical relationship to the environment and to people (both those who make it and those who purchase it)?

- How can fashion be more decentralized and adaptive to local climates, customs and cultures? (as opposed to the current highly-centralized model... e.g. Fall in Texas is very different from fall in New York, but you won't see this fact acknowledged by the typical collection shown in Paris or New York during fashion week)

- How can fashion address a diversity of body types and remain marketable and profitable? How can individual designers choose to target specific ideals of the body that have been historically overlooked or rejected by fashion without it being career suicide?

- How can fashion contribute to political, ideological, and cultural dialogues without resorting to printing text on things? Instead of putting the message *on* the medium, how can the medium become the message?

...just a few, I'm sure there are more.

-The Baron

02-09-2005
tfs star

How can high fashion separate itself from the high street in order not to be copied just before the goods even hit the salesfloor - Especially with regards to the fact that H&M, Zara etc. are increasing their quality constantly. Should they simply ban the press from the shows or do we need laws to protect the brands from copyists??

02-09-2005
slightly dizzy

^ Prada (for instance) is supposedly not showing everything on the catwalk, they keep things secret. You see the show and get a feel of it, but a lot of stuff you haven't seen turn up in the shops. Pretty clever, they get the PR from the show and still surprise customers and snub the copiers. Maybe.

02-09-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Baron
- How can fashion challenge us mentally/emotionally/spiritually without also challenging us financially?

- How can fashion achieve a more ethical relationship to the environment and to people (both those who make it and those who purchase it)?

- How can fashion be more decentralized and adaptive to local climates, customs and cultures? (as opposed to the current highly-centralized model... e.g. Fall in Texas is very different from fall in New York, but you won't see this fact acknowledged by the typical collection shown in Paris or New York during fashion week)

- How can fashion address a diversity of body types and remain marketable and profitable? How can individual designers choose to target specific ideals of the body that have been historically overlooked or rejected by fashion without it being career suicide?

- How can fashion contribute to political, ideological, and cultural dialogues without resorting to printing text on things? Instead of putting the message *on* the medium, how can the medium become the message?

...just a few, I'm sure there are more.

-The Baron
I like all of these alot

As a fellow Texan, I couldn't agree with you more on #3. I've often wondered how our friends down under deal with this, since their seasons are opposite ours?? Perhaps one of them will read this and enlighten me.

I would like to see a Rugmark for fashion.

Here's another one ... I'd like to see a single garment handle the problem of a day that starts cold and ends warm. Would give a whole new meaning to transitional clothes

PS Welcome to tFS

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 02-09-2005 at 09:08 PM.
02-09-2005
trendsetter

Great topic, and some very enlightening posts! I'll be thinking more about this...

Welcome The Baron, I love your username.

02-09-2005
loaded and locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta
As a followup to the innovation thread, what do you think are today's most pressing fashion problems that require solutions?
j.lo

02-09-2005
Stitch:the Hand

^to elaborate...by dis-allowing celebrities to fill the calendars every season with their rubbish.....

03-09-2005
Unveil Yourself....

The biggest fashion problem I think, is that people need to stop underestimating personal style. People need more personal style, more interpretation, more creativity and way less dictation by clebes and H&M, copying from tv and copying 'what ever she has'.

twitter.com/ErikP87
03-09-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Dale
The biggest fashion problem I think, is that people need to stop underestimating personal style. People need more personal style, more interpretation, more creativity and way less dictation by clebes and H&M, copying from tv and copying 'what ever she has'.
Funny you mention that ... I was flipping thru Bazaar last night and saw an article called Personal Style that proceeded to lay out ... 8 rules!!!

1 Cinch your waist
2 Put on a necklace
3 There's something about an Empire waist

and so on ...

Now I know fashion journalists know what personal style means! I'm just not sure they want the fashion sheeple to know. It would probably be perceived as anti-commercial ... this kind of thing is what I consider a true fashion crime.

03-09-2005
Proponent of Plaid

Someone needs to invent some women's shoes that are comfortable, practical, and don't look like little-old-lady shoes!

backstage pass

More reasonable prices.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishahoi
j.lo
I agree mishahoi and scott!

But, in all honesty, I do think it is one of fashion's current problems that any random celebrity who appears to have a somewhat interesting personal style is given their own clothing line. I'm not trying to sound elitist, nor am I saying that only fashion-school graduates should be funded. However, I think it is a shame when said celebrity is given so many resources to start their own clothing line while VERY talented independent designers are going under each and every day due to lack of funding.

Sometimes these celebrity fashion labels work (I think John Malkovich's Uncle Kimono is sort of interesting), but most often they disappear after two or three years and millions of dollars of wasted money. How many struggling independent designers could have been supported for that?

Just my thoughts, of course.

John

Last edited by rach2jlc; 03-09-2005 at 09:57 PM.
04-09-2005
trendsetter

plagarism (sp?) by the high street (h&M) and the whole celebrity designer thing- sort it out! bloody beyonce designing i think its terrible that there are so many talented designers out there that have had all the years in fashion education struggling to get into the world they are passionate about and just because someone has a celebrity status and money from something else they decide to do fashion. these designers are'nt passionate about fashion i just dont think its fair.

MAKES ME MAD

04-09-2005
V.I.P.

i'm at a loss for words right now. good suggestions. welcome to the fashion spot
the baron!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, problems, solutions