How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-06-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by quink View Post
However could you call well tailored clothes art?
Anyone saying it isn't doesn't understand fashion. Period.

30-06-2011
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiecheeks View Post
Anyone saying it isn't doesn't understand fashion. Period.
Isn't it called craftmanship?
If a furniture maker makes the perfect table, is it called art?
Even if it is just a normal wooden table wit 4 legs?

I'm not trying to say fashion isn't art because sometimes it is.
However not always.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by quink View Post
Isn't it called craftmanship?
If a furniture maker makes the perfect table, is it called art?
Even if it is just a normal wooden table wit 4 legs?

I'm not trying to say fashion isn't art because sometimes it is.
However not always.
Yes, you're absolutely right. I wasn't making that distinction. But then again, it's rather hard to find words to cover how I feel about fashion, or anyone for that matter.
Craftsmanship is a better word, but art has a more romantic feeling too it. I'm a romantic, sorry!

12-09-2011
backstage pass

So who else is damn tired of Nicola Formichetti and all those stupid, stupid panda bear gif.s

14-09-2011
windowshopping

Fashion Industry is distorting more and more. I was shocked that even nowadays the nationality, politics views matter in the world of fashion, where aesthetics should be the ones that matter. Recently, a fashion designer from Uzbekistan was rejected from NY Fashion Week on the basis that she's from Uxbekistan!!! That's dishonest and heartless. just read the articles below:

"A scandal exploded around the upcoming fashion event of the season. The daughter of Uzbekistan’s president, a young designer who successfully presented her collection on NY FW 2010, was withdrawn from the 2011 list of the participants for the only reason: her nationality.

This decision was made last-minute and came as a shock for Gulnara Karimova and her team, who came to New York, ready to present her latest collection for the label “Guli”. Moreover, this was followed by a massive campaign in the US press against Gulnara, all focusing on the fact that she is from Uzbekistan. The quality of her work and the originality of her designs were never taken in consideration. So, should a talented designer, the first Central Asian to participate in NY Fashion Week, be held back solely because of political and nationalistic reasons? And how many talents are left behind because of reasons we are not aware of?

When the news spread, internet exploded with tweets and statuses supporting the Fashion part in the Politics VS Fashion war. The Human Rights Watch Organization, which had its reasons for attacking Gulnara (as Uzbekistan didn’t give this organization an accreditation earlier this year), pointed out many unproven facts to force the management of the NY Fashion Week to cancel Gulnara’s show. And of course the NY FW organizations, supported HRW, because they saw it as an opportunity to use it as a good tool of PR campaign based on «Ethically correct culture», so it makes designer from Uzbekistan a victim of this PR.

Politics mixed up with repressing national minorities turned into killing the dream of many young aspiring Central Asian designers we may never hear about. Gulnara, apart from creating designs for her own fashion label, cares a lot about growing young talent in Uzbekistan and is currently the head of a national organization supporting creative youth.

Now, after this scandal and a huge amount of negative press coverage, she is still fighting back not only for her fashion, but for her country as well. Is it fair, mixing up fashion with politics? You decide. For thousands the response is obvious."

~Anonymous
wornandtornmag.com
*do not post links as credits, please*

Last edited by MulletProof; 14-09-2011 at 11:49 PM.
03-11-2011
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiecheeks View Post
Yes I know Chalayan is making money, and yes I know Lacroix's downfall was later than we expected. But they obviously need money to make their art. It's not about the fast rush of making lots of money over the backs of the easy fashion customer the way Gucci or Burberry do, or the highstreet for that matter. They love clothes or clothing people, and that's what they exude. That is fashion too. And actually, in my opinion, that's the base of fashion, love of well tailored clothes.
I agree, fashion is nothing without talent and the passion that those designers put in their work; the money is 'just' the tool to let them continue their job

windowshopping

To the statement that fashion is a business. You could say that about anything. Fine Arts is a business. Film making is a business. They are all obviously businesses.
All paintings are made to sell. There is no painting without the money to buy all of the material.
You could say painting is an art, but is it art when someone paints a square with four perfect sides and thats it?
I just find it odd that people often bring that up in conversation about fashion when it is obvious of all art industries. It is all about the intentions.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, industry