How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-11-2008
windowshopping

Well this is my first post

But, as an inspiring fashion photographer, I can tell you that our "great ones", started out just like me. No agency models, No designer labels, No makeup/stylist teams...all we have is our eyes..our creative visions;that once become "unique" will then launch us to greatness.

24-11-2008
windowshopping

^Unless you're Terry Richardson and your dad is also a photographer. Connections can count for a lot, I think it's worth mentioning.

No worries bChan

24-11-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_McCoy View Post
^Unless you're Terry Richardson and your dad is also a photographer. Connections can count for a lot, I think it's worth mentioning.

No worries bChan
I so wish I was the love child of Steven Meisel and Annie Leibowitz
I would be SET!!!!

front row

Quote:
Women are encouraged to get married and have kids before they're 30, which doesn't bide well with the demands of fashion photography. Plus there is the misconception that a certain degree of sexual tension is lost if the photographer is female which I think is ludicrous (not to mention one-dimensional - it implies fashion photography only has sexual tension to offer).
The fashion industry still has a thick glass ceiling and photography is not the only area of the industry in which women find it hard to advance and excel. After all, once women get into those top jobs on magazines and at ad agencies, they pull up the ladder to make sure none of the sisters get a look-in. And then there is the fact that the upper echelons of the industry are dominated by white middle-class male chauvinists in suits and ties and homosexual misogynists. Of course, there are a few lesbian misogynists exercising power as well.

But hey! If it's any consolation, there's a glass ceiling for straight men in many areas of Fashion, particularly the media. Fashion photography is the one area in which straight men are relatively unhindered by their gender, ethnicity or religion although membership of certain sects is undoubtedly an advantage, particularly in the United States. Learn Photoshop and take up Kabbala or Scientology. Or get adopted by someone famous... LOL!

PK

windowshopping

yes, connections make it happen quick!
Quote:

No worries bChan

Connections make it happen faster than lightning.....
but it can happen if you are good...

04-12-2008
windowshopping

Connections certainly seem to make a difference, I know this as I've moved to Sydney where I have no connections and I'm struggling for sure... of course I'm no and have never been a super star, but I was able to make a small side living back home.

windowshopping

I agree with what I read:

-the eye for the good light, the good model and the good selection

-a personal vision/signature, that is still risky cause it can be boring after a while, especially when you start...

-personality

-and connenction. For me that's the most difficult part. I moved to Paris and I didn't known anyone and I'm not a "public relation" kind of person. I had to do a lot of efforts to start to work, but now it starts to pay.
And if you have ambition in this field or you are the son of steven miesel, or you have to manage to make a lot a PR work. Fashion it's also PR.

windowshopping

sometimes I feel its' if you have a big mouth or not... seems like some photographers shout so loud they drown out the more humble of us

rising star

This is sort of like asking why you need a director on a film set. The photographer is usually the traffic cop on the set, making decisions about when things move ahead and what needs to wait or go faster. Someone has to maintain the balance between the departments. That and the eye, already mentioned.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by from_LA View Post
Connections make it happen faster than lightning.....
but it can happen if you are good...

Connections matter but in the end it's your portfolio that speak louder than words. Just because someone can get you in contact with top editors and PR firms you might be turned down faster than lighting if your previous work isn't up to scratch. It's the creativity that's the most difficult part. Just like not everybody can become a director like Steven Spielberg, aiming to rival Testino will not work out for everyone no matter how skilled you might be at lighting, fixing settings and pressing the shoot button.

A photographer does more than just adjust the lighting and snap the pictures. There is creative side to it which separates the amateurs from pros like Testino. Give a furnished apartment, a camera and a model to four photographers and I can gurantee you that all of them will provide shots completely different from those from the other photographers.

The vision is high important as a photographer needs to communicate the message by playing around with light, angles, colour balance and location. A good fashion photographer also knows how to direct a model telling them how to pose and whatnot.

windowshopping

Honestly I HATE Juergen Teller and Terry Richardson's work compared to the many many other great fashion photographers out there.

If you had to prioritize by importance what makes an image good it would go something like this

1. Creativity
2. Lighting and how it is set up (see #1)
3. Camera

Personally I shoot with a Canon 10d and will soon be shooting with a 5d. There are tons of people out there who take great shots with cheapy rebels and tons of people who take horrible photos with very nice and expensive cameras.

clever ain't wise

What are the qualities of a great fashion photographer?
The question popped up in another thread where we were discussing why there is such a small number of well known fashion photographers these days.

Quoting MMA: ""...it's easy to take a picture, but it's much more difficult to have a personal vision." - Does the photographer have to have a vision?

What other aspects can you think of?

06-07-2010
V.I.P.

Gah, such a difficult question, ILJ.
I will refrain from attempting to break things down from an objective approach and just speak from what makes a great fashion photographer for me.

First and foremost, as MMA says, a vision, I think you need to conceive and digest fashion in your own terms.. have a passion that's already gone beyond impressionable or alterable states, strong enough to ditch trends and adjusted into your own personality in order to project your own quirks through the lens.. which is such a rare ability these days, there are only a handful of photographers that you can identify right away and not necessarily for physical elements.

A great fashion photographer would also value beautiful clothes and the personality of the models he works with.. he would understand the role of a muse and not just project his own thoughts but be able to go through the eyes of his model and extract at least a small percentage of what makes the model internally distinctive.. he should know how to capture a soul.. either while in character or as mere human being. A forgettable picture often involves a model captured in a forgettable way.

Besides finding his muse (s), I think an ideal fashion photographer would also care enough about fashion to find a strong team that compliments his work (styling, hair, makeup) and nurtures his aesthetic through a humble exchange of ideas and inspiration from the vision of those he works with.

I also think a great fashion photographer is not afraid of defying tendencies and being faithful to what he finds excitement in.. he would explore and maybe even exploit shapes, locations, moods, and be able to stick to them until satisfied and have the ability to move on when he's no longer interested despite commercial success. Comfort and sincerity is key to warm up the hearts of viewers.
A great fashion photographer takes on a journey through fashion, plays with it, provokes it, teases it, respects it, and finds liberty in growing in it, and making it grow too in some way.

I might come up with a few more ideas for this.. I think about this quite often, especially when encountered by the work of Terry.

Last edited by MulletProof; 06-07-2010 at 08:45 PM.
06-07-2010
chaos reigns

I think that all great fashion photographers must have a style ... this style in particular has to be so polished and strong that makes you know who took a picture just by looking at it ... as well, the photographer has to be unafraid to collaborate ... they have to trust the team and be open to suggestions and collaborate ...
Another important thing is that the photographer has to have a passion for both photography and fashion ... and I think most of them have to keep up with the shows and whats going on on their media (at least until they have a name and still some do)

V.I.P.

Let me ask a question, is what we see on the fashion pages most likely the "vision" of the photographer, stylist / fashion editor or the magazine's editor in chief or the ? I ask the question "likely" because I know that one party is responsible for 100% of what we see, but what is most likely?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, great, makes, photographer