How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-09-2010
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
I can see what you are saying with the last bit....but it all comes down to if your ideas resonate with the style of the photographer. The very best ones are quite recognizable, yet never repetitive.

One mystery to me is why I find fashion photography so fantastic. I really think some of the best art of the last century came from Vogue and Bazaar. I was never too much of a fashion person...so I don't really understand why the imagery would be so striking to me compared to all other art forms. Is it the fashions itself or is it something about the dynamics of the situation? Or is it the beauty of the people - the minds of the creators, the bodies and, I would argue, feelings of the models?

Obviously, considering my cluelessness about what makes me like fashion photography at all, I can't explain what makes a good fashion photographer. It just looks right or it does not, and for every case I could give a detailed opinion as to why, but I do have a hard time coming up with a general rule.

I like what MulletProof said about capturing a soul. Or capturing the ideal person who should be waring that particular dress.
Photography should be an art but when necessary, it can be boiled down to a sort of "science", and that's where I spent a lot of effort as I didn't always have the privilege to work with a true photographer artist, the Guy Bourdins who already have a powerful and original composition/image/concept in his/her mind before they shoot. I am lucky if I get one who will wait with me for half an hour to capture an unusual image, eg. a huge wave or a larger than life plane flying overhead.

I hope I don't sound rude as Mulletproof is one of the posters here I respect tremendously, but a stylist can't be too abstract (eg. "Rob, please capture the soul of Sasha for this shoot.") about what he/she is trying to achieve with the shoot or the photographer will not have a clue, especially if it's a bread and butter job for them, and many of the entrenched ones at magazines have lost their enthusiasm years ago. That's where the stylists who care really have to develop their own "methods" to get the shoots they want. That's what I meant by science, but the result could actually have a quality that is spontaneous. Hope I have made the travails of a shoot better understood.

Last edited by Zazie; 07-09-2010 at 01:45 AM.

10-09-2010
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
I hope I don't sound rude as Mulletproof is one of the posters here I respect tremendously, but a stylist can't be too abstract (eg. "Rob, please capture the soul of Sasha for this shoot.")
...i'd like to see that!

this made me smile...
:p

really- i often wonder how some stylists do it...
grace coddington is someone i'd really like to watch on set...
she always comes back with great images...
without fail...
no matter who she shoots with...
(not that she shoots with anyone who isn't pretty amazing...but still...)

i wish they had shown a little more of her on set in that vogue movie...
i kept waiting and waiting for it...but it never happened...

i really do think it helps if the photog gets the clothes though...
ie- "the dress is amazing from the back so let's find a way to shoot it that way"...
OR- "i have an amazing idea for a rear view shot- do you have a dress that works better than this one that she is wearing..."

the best photogs that i've worked with always get that and their pics are always better...
that's what i mean that it has to be about the fashion first...

22-09-2010
V.I.P.

I don't know if it belongs here or if it is its own thread, but a question that has been bouncing around in my head is is Steven Meisel still the top fashion photographer? If I go by recent history, say the past two years I would say that he has been eclipsed by Mert and Marcus. However, he is still the top dog if I go by career body-of-work, however again if I go by career body-of-work, then Patrick Demarchelier and Peter Lindbergh are contenders for the distinction.

Last edited by agee; 22-09-2010 at 09:06 AM.
26-09-2010
rising star

Count how many times editorials in Vogue Italia were shot by specific photographers in the last 12 months. Those are the top shooters. The editors there don't screw around when it comes to great images and setting international trends, and the designers know it.

V.I.P.

To be sure VI is top tier, but it also has a signature look so there are photographers whose work is not regularly featured in VI because their aesthetics do not necessarily align.

Another barometer, although it is not the be all, end all are campaigns and in recent seasons it has been Mert & Marcus, Meisel and Testino (based on my memory and scan of the campaign thread). I am not a big fan of Testino but I can't deny that he has been booked for some high profile work. I also remember reading that Demarchelier was the most booked photographer in 2009.

29-09-2010
windowshopping

variety but still being able to tell who it is...

27-10-2010
windowshopping

Energy, being in the moment, being in charge, energy, and creativity...no need to even have great technical skills

30-10-2010
rising star

I think being able to communicate is the most important thing for any editorial photographer. You have to be able to tell a story and get your point across.

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
Why do they have to love fashion - to produce beautiful photograph or to intuitively know what separates a specific garment from another and present that aspect?

Or is it more that they can't have a complete disdain for fashion because that leads to that the editors and photographer can't communicate well...?
I think there is a difference between "loving" fashion (devouring information on fashion, knowing all the best designers etc)

and "loving" the look.

The former is not necessary for a fashion photographer, the latter is essential. I do not have an in-depth knowledge of fashion as such but I do love the way clothes look on a good model - it is a type a beauty that cannot be found anywhere else . I try to capture that look in my images and it doesn't matter if I know the name of the designer or not.

On the other hand I am definitely not a "great" so take this with as many grains of salt as you want.

13-12-2010
windowshopping

.. also a bit of luck

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, great, makes, photographer