How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-10-2012
rising star

There are different types of blogs. I like On The Runway for the serious, informative posts and well justified opinions, but I also passionately read Searching for Style for the humor, honesty and common-sense approach. I do not always have to agree with a blogger to admire her or him, as long as they have something interesting to say (knowledge and experience in the fashion industry are crucial) and a pleasant-to-read style of writing. It also helps to make a good use of photos and graphics.
I also love it when a blog has an original idea behind it rather than just being "all about fashion". One of my favorites is arthistoryformodels.blogspot.com that mostly focuses on the links between fashion and fine arts.
I am fed up with people posting their own outfits. The one exception is Susie Bubble, but she does way more than that.

12-10-2012
V.I.P.

I think it's about the person...I can't explain why I'm drawn to certain people or why certain people seem to blow up while others don't. Like with movie stars, I do think blogging stars have to have that undefinable IT, you know? You have it or you don't. Oh, and of course it helps to have a nice big bank account.

Even though I know people like BryanBoy and Rumi gets clothes free, they can't all be for free and I often wonder how they aren't in massive debt.

13-10-2012
Power to the 99%

I am not a huge reader of blogs, but writing quality is a primary factor for me. If the writing bores me (and I have been amazed at the inane content some people will post), I won't be back. As others have said--a point of view, taste--it doesn't have to be mine (and in fact it's guaranteed not to be), but a specific POV is important. And of course it should be beautiful--layout, font, photos, white space. The quality of content should be obvious on the first page, or I won't click any of the links. And ads--the ads, if any, should not be distracting or seem to be the main point of the blog's existence.

14-10-2012
rising star

I also agree about the writing and the general layout. Even if some are genuinely trying you can still see a lack of personality through the bland writing.

18-12-2012
windowshopping

Is it favourable to write a lot of your opinions on your fashion blog? I'm not a strong writer and would only post photos of my outfits with captions on where I bought them from. But when I look at other fashion blogs they tend to have a little introduction about this or that. Do people actually read those? I would assume viewers (who are busy) would just look at the pictures and if they are interested, look to see where it was bought from. Thoughts?

21-12-2012
windowshopping

I've seen many blogs that are visually stunning yet emotionally void. Often they have what I'd call superficial followers- people who have added them and only occasionally pass by to take a quick glance at the new eye candy and say "Oh, nice!" or "Gorgeous!" but have no real emotional connection or attachment to the blog.

So like many of you, I've come to notice that the most successful blogs are the ones that make you feel as though you can live vicariously through them. Whether it be the kind of information they share or their style of writing- it's the voyeurism that grows readership.

So a successful fashion blog is: Visually appealing, personal to an extent, well written, and informative on some level.

backstage pass

I am in the process of developing my blog. I am currently struggling to decide on the exact direction my blog should take. I don't want a personal style blog. I want to write about fashion, including both the trends/collections, as well as the business. I want to pose questions to the readers (not that I expect people to respond, as I will only be a small blog). I guess it will be a combination of text and visual.

Would any of you go to this kind of blog, when you can just go to fashion websites? I would be running this blog for my enjoyment, but I don't want to be talking to no one, or for people to click-off straight away...

27-12-2012
fashion insider

^I definitely would. I prefer to read about how other people see fashion and the fashion industry than look through outfit posts, most of which are pretty identical, and some of which are slightly interesting on a superficial level. I think text not only brings the reader and writer closer together, but also adds intelligence and depth to a blog. Blogs with text, to me, are more interesting than blogs with just images.

But it might be different for other people. I know that a lot of people only visit other blogs for reasons of marketing their own blog, or to briefly leave a comment like "so pretty!" to make their mark their own mark. I guess they would prefer to quickly glance at some images and put something in the comment box. I think a lot of style bloggers also don't really care for or know much about fashion, and blog to express their own style or to connect with other people.

front row

Photos photos photos. I only read personal style blogs (and a limited selection at that) and I'm not interested in runway review at all, or blogs that post editorials or even pluck a bunch of photos from stores for the most part. High quality images and actual photography from different angles and different comp not just a girl smiling at the camera. And none of these blogs by uber narcissists who post bikini pics or close ups of their faces, ew. I don't read the text especially if its longer than a few sentences -- not interested. And I prefer blogs with girls who are closer to average height, who aren't blonde and preferably are woc. Oh and Aren't full of high end stuff. It's nice if you throw in a lifestyle or beauty post once in a while.
Posted via Mobile Device

02-01-2013
front row

Oh I should also add that I don't mind collars and sponsorships, although I get why ppl do because it can ruin the authenticity of the bloggers style. Although it really depends in the blogger -- for some it's really obvious but others are still good at taking sponsored pieces and making them their own. I think it's smart marketing on behalf of the designers and shops plus I gift myself so I can't hate. I do like blogs where the incorporate emerging designers regularly instead of constant pieces from romwe and zara
Posted via Mobile Device

08-01-2013
windowshopping

I like blogs with original content, be it images they've taken or images taken of them.
My goal is to have my blog 100% made up of my own images of fashion (events, stores, people etc.), it's hard though.

tfs star

I used to love Bryanboy because he was funny and crazy. Now not so much. So because of that Ive switched to this boy. The name is in Thai so I cant really write it down.

LINK

30-01-2013
backstage pass

^ I find that bryanboy used to be clever, but now I find that some of his content is a bit...patronising (for lack of a better word). I like blogs that poke fun at fashion, not at people who are in/follow fashion. I find some of his comments a bit snarky, but maybe that is me just reading it in the wrong tone in my head??

I have just done a few test posts on my blog to test formatting etc. I am hoping to cover some local FW shows in March and some of the events surrounding that, as I really want my blog to include original content.

windowshopping

I like blogs that aren't minimalistic. Sorry let me rephrase, that- people who aren't minimalistic. People who will show me inside of their homes, the clutter of clothes and art. It may be clutter for them but it is sure as hell entertaining for me. And most importantly I like the people to be beautiful- they don't have to be skinny or traditionally beautiful either. They are sometimes beautiful freaks.

As for celebrity bloggers they are funny/quirky purely because they DIY'd themselves to fame and you can see it first hand through their archives- maybe not people like Bryan Boy who has a lot of fake crap on random blogs about his past written about him, but others like Susie and Tavi you can definitely see their progression. It's like a weird/awesome nostalgic feeling looking back to 2009 etc.

scenester

The solely own content is the must (it's why my blog is 100%... mine.)

The balance in quality between written content and images are important. Common argument "everybody can take pictures, not everybody can write so it's why my blog is better than yours" works both ways and convincing article with poor photography is as "bad."

A propos minimalism - it's the most overused and in general misunderstood term on the blogosphere right now. It's really hard to find a true minimal persona. In my understanding, the minimalist doesn't need i/e to draw a headboard over the bed; small things like that.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
blog, fashion, good, makes