How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-06-2010
Looking Up

^ That's not necessarily true. A lot of people who buy overpriced clothes just buy them so they can associated with money. Many people don't care about quality, they just wanna look "cool" and "rich" wearing whatever.
That's why loads of brands will plaster their names and logos and monograms on simple shirts; they feed off people's insecurities that if they buy their stuff they'll look "rich" and "chic" and "stylish".
Fashion prices continue to rise while their quality decreases. Gucci is what comes to mind here. Their clothes are RUBBISH, yet their prices are insanely high. They're priced AT LEAST 200% more than what they're worth.
I will GLADLY and HAPPILY pay hundreds/thousands of dollars for designer of clothing that is actually worth it. Unless you're a label's ambassador, buying overpriced clothing just for "brand image" is just shallow.

26-09-2013
fashion insider

“Sometimes I think the people who buy our clothes live in a parallel universe. Hell, we can’t even afford our clothes.” - Proenza Schouler’s Lazaro Hernandez admits that high fashion is high priced.

27-10-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkammern View Post
As it's been said, Chanel is not a brand of which we can say the prices are all that overhyped.
Quality is impeccable, they ensure a constant brand buzz that is in no way cheap (how much does it cost to fly an army of +30 topmodels to the other side of the world, for an average 1/2 minute on the runway?), and they treat customers extremely well.
Chanel doesn't just hand you a glass of champagne when you are a client. They throw events and parties to which you are invited, send Christmas gifts (perfumes, flowers, silk squares...), they welcome you to visit their showrooms, late store openings... they keep a very VERY close relationship with a large number of their clients (this is not just a TOP10 big spenders kind of thing).
I've bought Chanel for many years and since 2008 the quality has drastically decreased. It is not worth today's prices.
I've bought pieces without inspecting them, got home and had to return them because the bag was uneven, the clothing stitching was loose etc. They immediately exchange it without even looking but the fact I have to now inspect every item unlike before is rather concerning.
For one bag they were happy to exchange it but the other one was even more uneven and of course Sydney was the only Australian boutique to receive the bag and I wasn't going to wait for an Asia Pacific version when 2 of the bags were already off.

No amount of champagne or christmas gifts compensates for a constant stream of mistakes.

However, I do agree the brand keeps up its' reputation and the resale value is high though it is unwarranted for newer items.

27-10-2013
Power to the 99%

^ Yeah, I don't like being forced into the role of unpaid inspector either. I haven't felt like that about a brand before, but I did feel that way about an online retailer that shipped known defective merchandise. And once when I bought a mattress (and not a cheap one either), it had a number of defective springs, so I had to take immediate advantage of my guarantee. I wondered if I were the first to take delivery of these defective items.

In these cases, I simply don't do business with those retailers again.

Have you considered switching away from Chanel? Or just buying vintage?

27-10-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
In these cases, I simply don't do business with those retailers again.

Have you considered switching away from Chanel? Or just buying vintage?
In one instance I bought a diary that had a huge scratch all down the inside flap. I didn't even open the box for 2 or so months and when I did I was furious. $1300 for a scratched diary. I didn't even bother complaining because I was just so angry. So many things wrong with their newer stock.

I have permanently switched to hermes now except for a few vintage jewellery pieces I buy from resellers.

If people want to buy from chanel I totally support them but in Australia you definitely need to check the stock before you pay.

28-10-2013
101st monkey airborne

I would think it would be cheaper to hire your own tailor/seamstress to make bespoke clothing than to buy brand name luxury items. You would not only be guaranteed a truly one-of-a-kind look, but you could be assured of quality work. Awhile back, I read a blog of an ex-pat teacher who worked in Thailand, and she reported that if you made even a little more money than most people, it was expected that you pay someone to sew your clothing for you. Kind of like what I've heard about Brazil, where everyone has a maid/housekeeper, including those who work as maids and housekeepers.

I suppose if it's all about the label sewn into it, this just won't do. But if the quality of mass luxury goes down while the prices go up, I can see smaller designers and ateliers who design strictly for a local and limited clientele drawing more business. There are loads of local designers and tailors everywhere who aren't looking to rule the entire world of high fashion.

front row

'Louis Vuitton's prices are just too extreme': Kanye West takes a stand against the famous French fashion brand

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz2j6bHloWD

29-10-2013
Power to the 99%

^ It's good to see Kanye speaking out about something so truly important. What will his next issue be, I wonder? I think it should be something to do with floral prints.

29-10-2013
trendsetter

^

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)
17-11-2013
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtticusFinch View Post
'Louis Vuitton's prices are just too extreme': Kanye West takes a stand against the famous French fashion brand

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz2j6bHloWD
thats so cool to see someone like him speaking out about this!!

17-11-2013
scenester

when I see some woman walking down the street, their outfit are completely honest because they have just dressed in 'designer' gear. i personally believe fashion, and being 'fashionable' is about styling what you have! I think its fair if you want to buy yourself something special, like a chanel bag, something your going to keep for a life time. but people who are constantly purchasing new season designer clothing, i just feel bad for them because I feel many of them are just self concious about their personal style and are trying to compensate for the fact that they cant style themselves! I know that's a bit of a generalization and their are people who aren't like that, but it does seem a bit ridiculous!

P.S awesome forum!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
designer, fashion, high, price, worth