How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-07-2010
rising star

Why are Menswear adapting Womenswear trends
I searched and didn't find threads that is about this topic, so I am starting one;]

In fashion, menswear are generally more restricted than womenswear, in terms of fabric, shape, structure, form... What we see in menswear shows are mostly shirts, cardigans, jackets, suits etc... but recently, many designers are trying to push the boundaries of their menswear line, creating dresses, skirts, and using fabrics that are normally used while creating womenswear, but why is that?

It's great to push boundaries, but from my opinion most of the consumers who buys the brand's product would rarely look at those pieces or further more ignore it.

I am just curious to know why menswear are slowly adapting some trends that we only see in womenswear before, and who are they trying to target?

13-07-2010
fashion icon

Great topic! I agree that the average, everyday male would not wear things like men's leggings, skirts, etc., but I still find it fascinating that designers are putting things like that on the runway. I also think it's funny that 'gender-rules' decide what is appropriate for a man and a woman to wear, but women are increasingly becoming more accepting of menswear trends in womenswear. For instance, some women love throwing on a blazer with every outfit because they think it looks chic, which I also love to do. However, men are not as accepting of feminine trends in menswear. I just think that there are a lot of unwearable things that are shown on the runway, in general and maybe designers are experimenting with menswear to satisfy their creative outlets. Maybe they are hoping that there are a few brave men out there who will actually wear more feminine outfits.

13-07-2010
scenester

The question is why not?..

If anything a designer can be way more creative with menswear than with womenswear, just because there is so much unexplored territory.
Is the customer ready for this?.. the main public probably not, only the more daring men will wear such looks (or the guys who dress up just to get attention from being 'different')..

If it all doesn't look too forced on the guy or the runway, bless them and go ahead and be creative! Menswear has been in the same box for way too long. It's nothing too new, I mean men used to get dressed up more than women back before the French Revolution (damn you!)... I can't see why we can't have a bit more fun back in our clothing!

13-07-2010
V.I.P.

^ I agree.

I have to say, it's been a few years that I find observing the menswear fashion world a bit more exciting than womenswear, at least in editorials.. the implementations of silk, soft prints, tulle, layers that resemble (and often are) skirts.. perhaps catwalk fashion gets a bit too literal, I think the best way to get a realistic picture of what is going on and how it's supposed to be translated into the real world is by looking at magazines, such as AnOther, which I think does an excellent job at showing the integration of femininity into womenswear without attempting to look controversial or gimmicky.

In some way, I don't really think it's as much womenswear as it is softening up, finding romance in clothing and encouraging men to explore and achieve liberty through fashion.. and it is happening.. 8 years ago, men would laugh at the idea of carrying a clutch, now a lot of fashion-oriented men do and it's acceptable and they're as masculine as ever. and I think heels are up next!.

Based on personal taste, I hope skirts (with bare legs- I love it as a layer on men) don't reach the streets.. something about it that's a bit of a turn-off from me.. probably a silly macho taboo I find admittedly very hard to adjust to .. and I hope mainstream magazines don't mislead it and take it as a 'the more feminine the better' trend.. cause I think this is a good time to make men feel confident about their masculinity and not being afraid of joining fashion with the same passion as women, for unlimited time.

As for the last question, I think they're targeting fashion-conscious ones for now, but it's bound to reach everyone!

Last edited by MulletProof; 13-07-2010 at 06:11 PM.
14-07-2010
no tom ford, no thanks.

i personally think that the mark of a great designer or a great house remains the ability to translate the spirit of a collection or a season across all product lines from menswear to anything else. while we might think of it as radical when it comes to the more avant houses, it's actually not all that revolutionary in practice at the more subdued of houses from burberry to ralph lauren to michael kors to paul smith. and at the major fashion labels, it's so commonplace it's often overlooked especially at houses like gucci or prada or jil sander or balenciaga. i find the trend it's most interesting when it occurs at fashion-forward houses like givenchy or lanvin or chanel because they're actually proposing something new in the way we all should dress and it bleeds over to their menswear, womenswear, jewelry, handbag, and shoes. that's a complete vision and that's what fashion's all about.

style.com

front row

If men did not wear something different, men's fashion would not move forward. That sounds disgusting. Speaking vaguely of course.

rising star

I love that Givenchy jacket

It is good that menswear are finally evolving, but I guess it will take a long time for the majorities to finally accept the evolution, but I guess thats what fashion is all about, either incredibly a head or behind

It's just that some designers are trying to "give" their menswear line a new breath of "fresh" air by creating pieces that uses the same pattern but in a different form (e.g. dresses) and it really confuses me, because they look like some leftovers from womenswear and put onto the male model, and it looks awfully fitted on some of them

Adapting trend from here and there is good, but over doing it is just somehow hard to watch. ALAUU I do agree, I guess it's because those menswear trends are somehow re-formed in shape to better fit women, but I can't really imagine they resize a tight dress into a mens shape and then men will start wearing it, that'd be a little awkward Well, we might actually see it in some editorials in the near future I guess, Fashion is definitely unpredictable

V.I.P.

not to forget we're also living more comfortably now.. external factors determining what we wear are getting less and less. the weather doesn't matter, our cars and homes are heated or air-conditioned --and not only that, but also affording quite a bit of privacy.. can easily get from place to place without being seen

but i prefer to say i'm lazy to walk than actually hiding :p

21-07-2010
Geometric Discharge

It's been happening for a long while; my tailoring tutor told me that the cuts of suits were getting more and more feminine and I was a bit like "Yeah." but didn't take much notice until the other day.
I tried on this tailored jacket from TopMan in a charity shop and it was literally just like a woman's jacket, the waist was a lot more fitted, it had a peak lapel though it was single breasted and the fabric was bordering on feminine (or at least, untraditional) colours. It was a lot more thought about, it seemed, instead of the very traditional tailoring design.
I can't say that I liked it much/it suited me well but that might've been just because I'm used to mannish tailoring, it was interesting though.

I think it depends on whether you think your customer will buy it.
As formerly stated, fashionable tailoring is slowly and subtley crossing over into a womenswear style, maybe that is the way to approach the delicate and unassuming males..

26-07-2010
backstage pass

I feel as if men are actually ready for a change. I know I am. Whereas I haven't gotten into the clutch, I have a friend who has a Tory Burch to match his every outfit. The kilt saw a small resurgence as well and really and truly I hope that's where this foray into womenswear as menswear goes.

What I mean is, as a man I could never see myself wearing a mini skirt, nor could I see myself wearing the pieces that Comme sent down the runway this summer... BUT, I could very well see myself wearing a kilt. I've actually actively seeked one. The difference to me is that it may be typically thought of as a womanly concept, a skirt, but it is done in a uniquely male way. The kilt drops low to normally below the knee or just above it. It's material is a little bit heavier and the make of the garment doesn't allow for the frilly fluttering in the wind type of deal. So to me, it may be a womanly concept but it'd one in a male way.

Man-bags, have grown on me... and more than likely once I find the clutch done in the right way, I'll be attracted to it as well. Heels definitely are next as, @mulletproof said. There was a resurgence of hard soled shoes, as well as boots and these typically come with a small heel. There was a report put out that showed that men were getting their shoes sent back to add a few inches to this heel. Done in the right way, I love a nice heel for guys but... never in my life would I condone a stiletto for a man. It has to be done in the right way. Mainly, heeled boots are what I see for guys, or heeled dress shoes.
But that's probably enough lol. This is my first post here... can you tell?

15-08-2010
windowshopping

i agree with ALAUU.. well its really mainly about experimentation. in todays century anything goes and now it seems that more men are becoming more and more open to new styles.

Some Like It Hot

I for one would not wear mens leggings nor a mens skirt, i do however like that houses like Givenchy are experimenting with different menswear styles and breaking the barrier, because to be frank I'm sick of menswear designers doing boring and bland collections that consist only of suits, it doesn't for me portray a real mans wardrobe, i don't know many men (apart from workwear) that wear a suit everyday for casual wear, it would however be something i would associate with my granddad wearing now and in his youth, and on the mention of skirts i was surprised to see such a huge retailer like H&M sell a skirt for men and what would interest me the most is to see what sales figures were like for that item.

no tom ford, no thanks.

^i'd say lots of men do wear blazers on a daily basis as casual wear.

backstage pass

I think it's great.

Womens wear has taken a lot of cues from menswear, so I think that it's just as fine for menswear to take cues from womenswear.

Men usually don't have much of a range when it comes to fashion, especially when you go to stores.

The leggings and skirts won't be for everyone of course but I am sure there are some men that have been wanting something like this and they will be able to finally get that.

Who are we to deny men the right to express themselves?

18-08-2010
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Not for me @ all. The excitement of men's wear is in designers trying to interprete and make the existing menswear rules into something new and exciting. No skirts or leggings anytime soon..plus we men have horrid legs no one wants to see them in a mini skirt with leggings

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
adapting, menswear, trends, womenswear