How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-06-2010
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
For some perspective, or an interesting comparison, the occupations with the highest suicide rates are in the medical field (physicians, dentists, and veterinarians).

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...t-suicide-rate
The fashion industry might not have the highest suicide rate but the cases of young models killing themselves has escalated in the last few years.

27-06-2010
don't look down

It doesn't get included in statistics for everyday professions, but the military has a fearsome suicide rate, but I don't think there's any sensible way of comparing the experience of working in the fashion industry with serving in the army, they're very different things.

27-06-2010
you soft and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Stylin View Post
The fashion industry might not have the highest suicide rate but the cases of young models killing themselves has escalated in the last few years.
I know that, if you read my post I just posted an interesting comparison. Which I don't think is off topic in this thread.

Last edited by softgrey; 29-06-2010 at 11:29 AM.
27-06-2010
Power to the 99%

^ It's interesting that most of the jobs mentioned (doctors, vets, military) involve or can involve death. I know of someone who was a military photographer during the Vietnam war. Sounds fairly innocuous, until you find out his job was to photograph the contents of body bags. How in the world would they expect someone to survive that job?!?!?! He ended up mentally ill, institutionalized, and finally committed suicide.

28-06-2010
don't look down

Another article - from the Guardian - looked at the issue of models and suicide, and one of the points it touched on was the issue of age in the industry:

Quote:
One of Italian fashion's senior figures, Giorgio Armani was quick to point the finger at fashion. "This world is too closely linked to youth and makes it seem like life ends at 22," he said after hearing of Nicon's allegedly tangled romantic life.

"We need to make the young understand life is beautiful from 23 onwards as well," he said. "There will always be disappointments, including in love, but they must be faced up to without tragedy."

29-06-2010
boop

I think this all goes back to the fact that mental illness is still veiled in this shadowy grey area. Instead of looking at the actual problem - which as far as I'm concerned is the lack of adequate treatment for mental diseases, coupled with a lack of true understanding and a society that still stigmatizes people for seeking help - people try to pin it on something that is ultimately irrelevant. People outside of fashion have to deal with the same demons that cause suicide. Working any stressful job will take its toll and this is an especially unforgiving industry filled with people who are artistic and many times those people are especially sensitive.

That said, I don't think that working in this industry has anything much to do with it. It is a difficult industry, a cruel industry and at times a heartless and baffling one, but every single business on earth is maddening in its own way. Fashion does have a lot of very young people though, which is an added peril and on the whole it is simply more visible, if something happens we hear about it and it plays out in the media.

29-06-2010
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post

That said, I don't think that working in this industry has anything much to do with it. It is a difficult industry, a cruel industry and at times a heartless and baffling one, but every single business on earth is maddening in its own way. Fashion does have a lot of very young people though, which is an added peril and on the whole it is simply more visible, if something happens we hear about it and it plays out in the media.
I'm not so sure about that we hear about it. There are some well known cases where people just dropped out of sight and died without anyone except people in the industry knowing...not sure to what extent that has changed yet.

01-07-2010
boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
I'm not so sure about that we hear about it. There are some well known cases where people just dropped out of sight and died without anyone except people in the industry knowing...not sure to what extent that has changed yet.
In the wake of Alexander McQueen and the model rash of model deaths, I don't think that suicide in fashion is something that us unheard of. Is every individual case of suicide well documented, no, but I think this is something that has happened enough that we know it is an issue.

01-07-2010
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
Also add onto that the unknown models that are less successful or in other markets that are seldom focused on

06-07-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
I think this all goes back to the fact that mental illness is still veiled in this shadowy grey area. Instead of looking at the actual problem - which as far as I'm concerned is the lack of adequate treatment for mental diseases, coupled with a lack of true understanding and a society that still stigmatizes people for seeking help - people try to pin it on something that is ultimately irrelevant. People outside of fashion have to deal with the same demons that cause suicide. Working any stressful job will take its toll and this is an especially unforgiving industry filled with people who are artistic and many times those people are especially sensitive.

I agree.

Usually its lack of success in just about any profession which can lead to suicide. Its just with the fashion industry - its almost always in the spot light so there is more heat on it.

Frozen irony.

'Creativity is akin to insanity'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/10154775.stm

07-07-2010
God Save McQueen

Quote:
In the wake of Alexander McQueen and the model rash of model deaths, I don't think that suicide in fashion is something that us unheard of. Is every individual case of suicide well documented, no, but I think this is something that has happened enough that we know it is an issue.
I agree. We don't hear about every suicide that ever happens. We hear about fashion related suicides because there is a level of fame involved and as fashion followers we are particularly sensitive to it. It makes a good news story to talk about the beautiful and successful model dying, but ignores the fact that depression affects all walks of life. Having a great career (or a terrible career) doesn't make someone immune.

08-07-2010
Power to the 99%

I just got around to reading the April issue of Vogue (Gisele on cover) I believe it was where they printed excerpts from Kim Noorda's diary? Here she is a very established and well known model who's been working for these designers for years, and to read about how she's treated ... honestly, I hope all the people who were mean to her read it and were well and truly ashamed of themselves.

I have certainly dealt with my share of jackasses at work over the years ... but it was never about my looks and my health. It was never anything like that personal. Then when you add in the fact that these girls are so young when they start ... and really still so young when they finish. And that what gets them strokes at work is likely to also be compromising their health--perhaps more so the older they get. I believe Kim is 23 ... that's still a baby--not in the modeling world, but in real adult terms. I got my first real job doing what I do now when I was 23.

If you haven't read that article ... you really should.

There's something really misogynistic and dangerous about this skeletal ideal.

08-07-2010
front row

I don't think they are associated. Working in the fashion industry may be stressful and lonely but I think depression is a very individualised mental disorder and I don't think you can look at these people and say that their involvement in the industry was the reason they committed suicide. I don't think that pointing fingers helps in cases like this either, if we want to identify a problem with their suicides we should be looking at the high numbers of suicide and depression in general and getting better treatment for those affected.
I also think that there is certainly more media coverage of suicides in the fashion industry because like someone else said it makes a good news story to talk about the demise of a beautiful model or a successful designer. This doesn't necessarily mean that depression is more prevalent in the industry, it just means there is more coverage of it.

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
I just got around to reading the April issue of Vogue (Gisele on cover) I believe it was where they printed excerpts from Kim Noorda's diary? Here she is a very established and well known model who's been working for these designers for years, and to read about how she's treated ... honestly, I hope all the people who were mean to her read it and were well and truly ashamed of themselves.

I have certainly dealt with my share of jackasses at work over the years ... but it was never about my looks and my health. It was never anything like that personal. Then when you add in the fact that these girls are so young when they start ... and really still so young when they finish. And that what gets them strokes at work is likely to also be compromising their health--perhaps more so the older they get. I believe Kim is 23 ... that's still a baby--not in the modeling world, but in real adult terms. I got my first real job doing what I do now when I was 23.

If you haven't read that article ... you really should.

There's something really misogynistic and dangerous about this skeletal ideal.
I provide the link for those who are interested in read it: http://www.vogue.com/feature/2010/03/kim-noorda/. Thanks fashionista-ta .

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, increased, industry, risk, suicide, working