How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-07-2010
V.I.P.

Interesting thread. i would def collect items as a collectoion - It is wearable art after all - well.. Some items arent but are worthy enough to be a part of a collection imo.

06-07-2010
V.I.P.

If anyone who is intersted in this hasn't seen The Secret World of Haute Couture, it is on YouTube I believe...what a great film- it relates to all of this! Some of these women are amazing (and Daphne is in it, too!!)

06-07-2010
backstage pass

Always
If that piece holds concept and/or history, it's worth every penny. Sometimes revisiting such pieces is like appreciating art

06-07-2010
fashion icon

In theory I think I would collect clothes as art but in reality its just not possible at the moment. I like the idea of owning a few select peices which I could never wear because eaither they are not my size or are to delicate to wear but instead displaying them in my closet (which would be HUGE) or else where in my home. Fashion is art so I see no reason not to buy into it. People spend so much time sewing these garments that they ought to be admired and appreciated.

06-07-2010
earthbound

i wouldn't buy clothes that are beautifully made and store them somewhere only as a collection piece... i tell myself that if it's so well-made and reflective of your own personality, then it should to be worn.

06-07-2010
no tom ford, no thanks.

while i don't count myself as a collector, i've bought many a designer shirt for a great night out only to have them stored in my closet for years to come never to be worn again.

Stitch:the Hand

not i. as much as i treasure design,i could never imagine myself purchasing something or even holding onto to something i already own purely for the sake of having it as an art piece. that's why i was forced to sell some of my things just because i hated seeing them just hanging in my closet. for me it has to serve some sort of function as a wearer otherwise i see no purpose. i'd rather much see something take on a new life.

07-07-2010
tfs star

Yes, I definitely do/would collect fashion as art. They are more than just clothing or simply just fabrics. It isn't about being vain or the status. I love the design and quality that goes into the garments. It's no different than someone that collect coins, stamps or Warhol paintings. I collect fashion that I love from my favorite designers. Of course, given that I have the money to afford it.

07-07-2010
V.I.P.

whose to say you cant buy wearable art...i consider some of the pieces i have, artful treasures but i also wear them.

07-07-2010
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
I still stand by what I said when this thread was new; I would absolutely buy certain pieces as art, assuming of course that I had the means and space to put the pieces onto a mannequin for display instead of a hanger. I guess I kind of look at it from the point of view that I'm never going to wear women's clothes anyway, and really the only way for me to enjoy them is to look at them. I'm too pragmatic about mens clothes for that though. I've never wanted to buy something just to own it.

But there are the times when I've been browsing in, say, Century 21 or Neiman Marcus Last Call, and I'll happen upon an amazing runway piece that clearly nobody wanted when it was brand new, and that will likely never be purchased in a discount store either. Instead it'll just stay on the rack, falling off the hanger every now and then until the hanging straps tear, being handled, pulled, stepped on, mangled, tried on by people who have to squeeze into it, and ending it's poor life looking like it came out of a dumpster before winding up on the final sale rack where, still, nobody will want it. When I see clothes like that I want to buy them just because I know I can give them a good home, like collecting stray/abandoned cats.

Is that sick or what?
I never feel that way about something new ... but I do feel that way about old things. Not clothes, but old houses, and the things that were in them ... and I am involved in animal rescue, so that too

Hey, you feel the way you feel ... nothing wrong with that. And you forgot the part where people get makeup on it because they don't bother undoing the fastenings properly

10-07-2010
V.I.P.

Very interesting thread. I would say yes (if I had the money) I know many people think fashion is a craft and not an art, but I'd argue that the distinction is not clearly drawn and the two certainly overlap. I wouldn't let it just hang around in a closet though, if I didn't or couldn't wear it I'd display it somehow

V.I.P.

I wouldn't. I read somewhere, likely on tFS, that fashion doesn't retain value. However if you're buying fashion which has a lot of historical or cultural value and is likely to be sought after in the future then it may be a good investment.

11-07-2010
no tom ford, no thanks.

^most art doesn't retain value either.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethii View Post
I wouldn't. I read somewhere, likely on tFS, that fashion doesn't retain value. However if you're buying fashion which has a lot of historical or cultural value and is likely to be sought after in the future then it may be a good investment.
But its not really about 'value' or resale in the end for a collector is it?
Its just knowing and loving what you own/collect.
Atleast thats what i think.

V.I.P.

^ I agree- it's not for resale value, it's just because you love it!! (He said- with over a hundred Polo shirts hanging in the next room- most of them unworn...)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
art, buy or collect, fashion