How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-09-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying Diamonds View Post
^..I think you're taking what I said a bit too literally; I was talking about new clothes really. Thinking about old clothes I'd happily covet some original Balenciaga, please.
But aren't charity clothes old clothes?

MsCrow,I share the same sentiments for 'works in progress' I think it's just a matter of what are people really after. Some could be called rather 'pragmatic', so for fashion it's natural for them to want to wear it. It's not enough to have it for its beauty, it must be practical. My main concern is rather something intangible: in the realm of thoughts, feelings, ideas (which sometimes passes through the appearance of the object, but not always evident --I always have to justify what I collect, for some people). It gives life depth and meaning. But of course it's nicer to have both sides, it's just that sometimes I'm drawn to women's wear which I can't wear for obvious reasons.I really like your post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCrow View Post
I bought them because they are a moment of an idea, the crystallisation of some thought processes of the designer which culminate in the prototype on the dummy.

Most of what I've collected actually never had a price to begin with. I was fortunate to be invited to some showrooms, ateliers etc and in spending time with the people, they give me whatever I'm fascinated by.. and without asking, mind you XD. I also like to collect random remnants of things (ie cutting grandmother's curtains), although not quite fashion and designed, but still somewhere in the same category...
I would definitely not like to go the "shopping" route.. There was a documentary on the child artist Marla Olmstead, and a perfect example of that type of collector near the end of the film--if anyone's interested. I buy, but I don't go out with the intention of buying. I want to live life and have stories entwined together with what I collect on the way. Souvenirs :p

Last edited by gius; 06-09-2010 at 04:54 PM.

07-09-2010
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
But aren't charity clothes old clothes?

No, contrary to popular belief, most charity shop clothes have been donated to the shop by people who don't want them anymore, therefore remaining wearable and often very new.

07-09-2010
V.I.P.

Very new as in what? The design is old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying Diamonds View Post
In my opinion, clothes are made to be worn. For me, slipping on a wonderful garment is like hanging a painting on the wall - it's immediately in its element, it was made to be there and therefore, it is happy to be there.
If you're going to say one thing, but mean another, you should put both points across in your post.
I think Boomer has posed a good question to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
So, if one of us went into a vintage store and found a real Coco Chanel piece from the 1920s, that was not realistically wearable, would we not want it because we couldn't wear it out to a party?

07-09-2010
Geometric Discharge

What is it that is so difficult to understand? I think that clothes are made to be worn and not displayed, obviously if it's verging on an antique it's not going to be worn.
Is a bit of common sense too much to ask?

07-09-2010
V.I.P.

If you are going to mean antique, then you should say antique. That is common sense. Of course "old" can mean more than one thing. It is a general term

Last edited by gius; 07-09-2010 at 03:35 PM.
12-09-2010
front row

Oh, i would! If i had the money i would buy it, even if i put it on the wall and admire it! And why not? Somebody here have a good quote from Warhol : "I'd rather buy a dress and put it up on the wall, than put a painting, wouldn't you?"
I have a Dior jacket that i adore, it's gorgeous and i love to wear it!

16-09-2010
windowshopping

Pondering...
I joined these TFS boards specifically for this thread. I found it through a search trying to find different definitions of "wearable art". This discussion has brought up some really really juicy points! I thought I might contribute a bit...

It seems to me that everyone is actually debating whether fashion is an applied art, a fine art, or a decorative art. It's obvious we have disagreements but it seems to me they stem from how we perceive fashion's place in that dynamic. It can change over time, too, so that makes it even more complicated.

At this debate's heart, though, are really three questions: Do you collect fashion, if so why, and what do you do with your collection?

I think there are greater ramifications for the industry as a whole when one steps back to think about what's "worthy" of collecting... Do designers do their work with that in mind? Do specific lines tend to be more "collectable"? Is there a potential market in the future for more attire that is less practical/wearable?

Could vintage clothing dealers be considered gallery owners? Could clothing be considered soft sculpture, and displayed in museums (or homes) as such? Will the china hutches of the future (that contain rarely used delicate dishes) someday stand side by side with a glass closet display case?

What of all the attire that's already displayed in museums? What is the difference between appreciating the design/crafting of those pieces versus how we appreciate a painting?

Fashion has made social/political commentary just like our other great works of fine art, so what's the difference? Has it not contributed to how we perceive our world just as radically as some of our great artists responsible for impressionism or cubism or other artistic movements?

I think it's interesting to ponder. It's simply how we understand fashion's function (or lack thereof) that colors our collecting sensibilities. And I'd venture to guess that fashion may be developing new functions (or unapologetic lack of it) more and more everyday...

24-09-2010
windowshopping

Absolutely! If one could afford it, why not? After all, fashion is art, in one of the most practical meanings of the word.

08-10-2010
front row

I would collect rare haute couture pieces. That of course, if i could afford it.
So for now, i'm collecting designer shoes.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello89 View Post
maybe it was, but today it's a business. brand are sold like any clothes, there isn't any art spirit in there : Couture is hard to sell, so msot of couture house are talking baout stopping that type of activity....they make campaign, they talk about "marketable" faces... And truely, if fashion didn't bring any financial interest, wouls it still exists ? maybe yes, but it won't be the fashion we know today. so no, today, since companies invest in fashion in order to take an advantage from it, fashion is a business and not art. Karl Lagerfeld said it by the way !

I think it's safe to say that much of what is labelled as 'art', these days, is business and not art, too, though.

Whereas, I would disagree with Uncle Karl, somewhat, on this - because I think some fashion, whilst undoubtably also business, can be art too.

09-10-2010
trendsetter

It's all very well saying that clothes are made to be worn, but I think it's a very good thing that there are private collectors, who will buy and store clothes without wearing them, as how else will we have a physical record of what has been produced, in the future?

If everyone just bought clothes to wear, they would all wear-out and there would soon be none left in good condition!

I know some design houses keep an example of everything they make, but many don't, unfortunately.

Personally, I tend to collect bags and jewellery (mainly the latter, actually), but I do buy a few (what I feel are) exceptional/iconic R-T-W clothes, with the vague notion that I may wear them someday; but that, if I don't, then so be it.

Last edited by chloehandbags; 09-10-2010 at 02:22 AM.
18-10-2010
rising star

I personally would buy fashion as art! After all fashion is it art!
If a piece of clothing is aesthetically inspiring and innovative, why not?

V.I.P.

^ agreed

scenester

im not sure if this was already mentioned in the thread..but there are people who collect nike sneakers and never wear them. Personally, i feel this is a waste. I used to constantly get yelled at by my mother for not wearing my new clothes! The art part of fashion for me, comes from how you wear it, how you put it together, etc.

29-10-2010
windowshopping

I think I would only buy and collect pieces if they were wearable. I'm not one to spend a boatload of cash on something I'll never wear...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
art, buy or collect, fashion