How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-09-2005
V.I.P.

Would you buy/collect fashion as art?
Sorry if there is already a similar topic to this...if there is feel free to merge

I remember reading an article in magazine a few months ago, that went into certain people's closets and broke down all their items, designers that they liked and how it reflects their personality, and so on....

anyways, one of the women that they featured said that her wardrobe didnt really consist of any color and that she was more into using accesories to make a point....she then said that she had gotten into the habit of buying certain clothes just because they were beautifully made, even though she knew she would never wear it....

so would any of you do this.....spend money on a piece that would never see the light of day just to have it....do you think its worth it to do something like that?

i look at it this way......people spend hundreds, sometimes even thousands of dollars on a painting or a sculpture....if you think about it....there are pieces of clothing that are so detailed and so different that they could be considered art.....not to mention the fact that it's something a designer thought of, then sketched, then had made and then put it on a runway...

so what do you guys think?

Last edited by jssy4eva; 05-09-2005 at 01:13 AM.

05-09-2005
tfs star

I've bought vintage pieces from the 1800's mainly to admire their sheer beauty.

05-09-2005
barcode

Oh definitly, I couldn't actually wear any haute couture pieces but if I could afford them I'd buy them just to own them.

05-09-2005
Push it to pop it!

I once found a Christian Dior suit at a thrift store and bought it, just because it was Dior, even though it was too big for me... That is a tad different from what this thread is about though.

I definitely agree with spike though.

05-09-2005
backstage pass

For sure, it sure beats spending thousands on a drawing imo.

V.I.P.

I'm doing this all the time - buying vintage dior pieces (especially shoes) that i never wear but are soo beautiful i just have to own them and be able to look at them, or vintage handbags (gucci, ....). i recently bought a great galliano dress, which is just beyond words for me, and i swear i will never wear it, i'd be too scared to ruin it......
and, as spike said, haute couture would be the ultimate purchase for me, just to own it, i'd be the happiest person in the world!!!

05-09-2005
fashion icon

yeah, I get into arguments with other students (I am an art student) about the value of clothes. They don't see anything odd with someone paying several thousand dollars on a drawing or painting that could have taken less than 30 minutes to do and less skill than a 5 year old with a set of fingerpaints but they find it so bizzare when people pay less for a couture garment that took over 50 hours to make and 20 years of sewing knowledge to complete.

05-09-2005
rising star

I buy stuff I would never wear just because it's such a beautiful piece, that has a certain something about it. I don't think I'll ever wear this second-hand fully sequined and therefore oh so heavy poncho with bright purple flowers embroideried on it (ok, it's kind of hard to describe it!) I bougt some time ago. But I just think it's such a great piece, unlike anything I have ever seen before, I just love looking at it :p

05-09-2005
Power to the 99%

For me, no. I do buy things other than clothes just to look at occasionally, but most everything I buy has a job to do. For example, vintage lighting and lamps in my house, 1930s silver and dinnerware. My kitchen is filled with 1920s and 30s stuff that I actually use.

Anything in my closets I either have worn, am wearing, or will wear.

I know some vintage clothes, shoes, etc. are extremely delicate--I wouldn't use or wear something if using it would destroy it. I'm carrying a vintage bag right now, and expect it will hold up fine--it's very well made.

06-09-2005
penniless sitar player

Fashion is definitely a respected form of art and worth buying, even if it's never intended to be worn...
Armani's work was displayed at the Guggenheim in 2000-2001. The Met hosted a Chanel exhibition this past summer.

06-09-2005
scenester

I remember going to a Gucci store (outlet even!) with my mother, and we both just stood and stared at the purses that were marked DOWN to 10 000 euros. They were so beautiful... unlike anything I've seen in my life.
So, case in point, I would definitely buy fashion as art.

etre soi-meme

yes, of course..
i collect mainly vintage pieces that i could/would never wear plus i keep old fave items just for my collection..
i wouldnt say it's because i regard the items of my collection as 'art' not at all, its just a collection as other people may collect dolls or old books or stamps

06-09-2005
backstage pass

I wouldn't, I'm heavily into the functional purpose of clothing. But I guess I follow fashion as if it were art, the fun is not only in owning it, but also in hearing about it.

06-09-2005
Unveil Yourself....

I would love to own fashion as art! I think it would be perfect to have this big room in my house decorated like a fashion museum, with mannequins wearing super beautiful (vintage) couture pieces. So I would definetly buy it...

twitter.com/ErikP87
06-09-2005
etre soi-meme

Japanese fashion collectors do that MrDale
hope one day your dream will come true

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
art, buy or collect, fashion