How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / Hommes
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-10-2009
V.I.P.

^ It definately was for me..he's just so handsome

18-10-2009
windowshopping

He was interviewed on NPR last month. A streaming replay as well as transcription are online.

Quote:
LINDA WERTHEIMER, host:

I'm Linda Wertheimer. This is TELL ME MORE from NPR News. Michel Martin is away.

Coming up, New York Governor David Paterson signs a bill banning a derogatory ethnic term from all state documents. We'll tell you what and why.

But first, it's time for the Next Big Thing. That's our regular feature, spotlighting trends or people who everyone will be talking about in the future. Today, we're talking to Daniel Liu. He's your typical guy next door if you happen to live next door to the fashion runways in New York.

At the age 26, he's a rising star among models, and there's something else that distinguishes him. Daniel Liu is one of the few Asian-American male models working now in the U.S., and he joins us. Daniel, welcome to the program.

Mr. DANIEL LIU (Fashion Model): Hi, Linda, how are you?

WERTHEIMER: Pretty good. Could you just first just tell us how you got started? How did you get into modeling?

Mr. LIU: Well, I got into modeling when actually my mom entered me into a modeling contest, which I won, and then my sister took some photos from that contest and sent them into the Ford Modeling Agency.

WERTHEIMER: And then Ford, just like that, called you?

Mr. LIU: Yes.

(Soundbite of laughter)

WERTHEIMER: Well, now, the fact that you jumped off the page for some big players like the Ford Agency, that must mean that you've got some kind of a look that they want. Do you know what it is? Could you describe it?

Mr. LIU: You know, I don't know if it's, like, any one thing. I've been told I've got very strong cheekbones. I've definitely got the height. So…

WERTHEIMER: Slender, athletic and all that. We looked at your look book, so we saw. We saw quite a lot of Daniel, as a matter of fact.

Mr. LIU: Yeah.

(Soundbite of laughter)

WERTHEIMER: Now, I've got to say I love the hair.

Mr. LIU: Well, thank you.

WERTHEIMER: Is this a - do you think there's a sort of a sullen look that is something that maybe magazines are looking for? You look very solemn in all your pictures.

Mr. LIU: You know, that was just for that shoot. I think magazines are looking for different looks all the time. There's so many different-looking models, so it really just depends on what the magazine wants at the time.

WERTHEIMER: So how do you feel about having somebody tell you - I mean, what do they say to you? What do they tell you that they want? Like, think of the last magazine. What did they tell you they want you to look like?

Mr. LIU: I think a lot of times they have a certain idea in mind, but they also want the model to kind of channel their own energy into the photo shoot. So you know, you work with a photographer. You kind of talk to the art directors, and you find out what they're looking for, and then you do your best to give them the look that they want.

WERTHEIMER: So it's like acting, only totally silent.

Mr. LIU: Yeah. Yeah, actually, you know, some photographers will tell you they want you to pretend like you're acting. They really want to get that live look when they're shooting you. They don't want it to look so scripted.

WERTHEIMER: Do you find it easy to step outside of your own idea of yourself and into their idea of you?

Mr. LIU: I do my best.

(Soundbite of laughter)

Mr. LIU: Yeah.

WERTHEIMER: Well, so how's the work? Do you think that Asian-American models are in demand? Do you worry about being accepted?

Mr. LIU: You know, I don't worry about being accepted. I think the world's definitely ready for just models of all types.

WERTHEIMER: So diversity is the key?

Mr. LIU: Yeah, you know, I mean, diversity's great in my opinion.

WERTHEIMER: Working very well for you, certainly.

(Soundbite of laughter)

Mr. LIU: Yeah, I hope it continues to work for me.

WERTHEIMER: So where do we look for you? Any big projects that we might - where we might see you, like fashion week or TV commercials or something?

Mr. LIU: Well, we've got New York Fashion Week coming up. I'm going to be going to a lot of auditions for the runway shows coming up this month. So I'm pretty excited about that.

WERTHEIMER: Okay, well, and you were going to say?

Mr. LIU: And well, I'm also on hold for a couple of projects. I don't know if they're going to go through yet, but I am on hold for GQ China.

WERTHEIMER: Oh, my goodness.

Mr. LIU: For a 10-page spread, which I think is huge for someone just starting out. So…

WERTHEIMER: Well, congratulations on that.

Mr. LIU: Thank you.

WERTHEIMER: Daniel Liu is a model with the Ford Modeling Agency. He joined us from our New York bureau. You can see pictures of his work on our Web site. That's the TELL ME MORE page of the new npr.org. Daniel, thanks.

Mr. LIU: Thank you so much.

Copyright ©2009 National Public Radio®. All rights reserved. No quotes from the materials contained herein may be used in any media without attribution to National Public Radio. This transcript is provided for personal, noncommercial use only, pursuant to our Terms of Use. Any other use requires NPR's prior permission. Visit our permissions page for further information.

NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by a contractor for NPR, and accuracy and availability may vary. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Please be aware that the authoritative record of NPR's programming is the audio.

windowshopping

Also, did anybody catch him posing for the PRPS sale on GILT last week? I wish I had dl-ed more of the shots...

images from GILT

Mr. Magic

Thank you for the interview
I'm listening to the interview right now and he sounds fine

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015
19-10-2009
boop

One of the most beautiful men I've ever had the pleasure of seeing up close and personal. I love that everyone is loving him.

19-10-2009
V.I.P.

God he looks amazing at Baby Phat!

19-10-2009
windowshopping

^^^He sounds VERY fine, indeed

11-11-2009
Mr. Magic

Finally his GQ China ed! He's so versatile

New York Travel
Ph: Blair Getz Mezibov
St: Grant Pearce

scanned by 很大很大

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
11-11-2009
V.I.P.

Wow, thank you so so much for posting these shots! Love all the b&w ones, especially the 6th in the first row! He's just so handsome!

15-11-2009
windowshopping

these are great images thanks flashbang (and ???? - ?)...anybody know how i can get my hands on a hardcopy of the november GQ China from an overseas location (i.e. Minnesota the middle of nowhere America)?

front row

Nice body

Mr. Magic

Another Uniqlo ad

nicolaformichetti

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
30-12-2009
Mr. Magic

SURFACE (#80) — THE TRAVEL ISSUE
HOMME TEAM