How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Fashion Pack
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-09-2008
V.I.P.

Alyona responds to an anti-fur campaign in Russia

Quote:
Russian fashionistas say the campaign is doomed - not just because fur is supremely practical in sub-zero climes, but also because it is a status symbol. Russia's new rich wouldn't be seen dead without a fur coat, typically costing at least $50,000. "Fur is prestigious. We will continue to promote it," says Alyona Doletskaya, editor-in-chief of Russian Vogue. "If we had a climate like Greece it would be very different. But we don't."

full article here
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007...russia.fashion

24-09-2008
V.I.P.

on russian designers
Quote:
Sitting on a Lucite chair in her modern glass-box office, Doletskaya wonders if Russian design, despite its low profile in the last century, could reach a critical creative mass, much like Belgian design.
“They are sending very strong statements — sophisticated, subtle and ironic,” Doletskaya says. “Russian fashion is very new, and exciting, and it could happen.”

full article here
http://www.sptimes.ru/index.php?acti...story_id=20725

24-09-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Autumn collections apart, many of Russia's big spenders have been left reeling by the bursting of the bubble. However, Alyona Doletskaya, the editor of Russian Vogue, seems almost unbothered by the Russian mega-rich. Their purchasing power is crucial for keeping the most lucrative advertisers on aboard. But the 40-year-old Doletskaya does not regard them as her main target readership. Instead, she talks enthusiastically of "a very quickly growing middle class. There are, of course, the nouveaux riches. But they don't constitute 150,000 Russian readers." She argues that the definition of a prosperous Russian has undergone a radical change. "Four years ago, I would have known exactly what a `new Russian' was. It was a banker with a Mercedes, whose wife drives a BMW and doesn't work. He wears Versace and has three bodyguards. She has 18 hours of massage." Now, though the chauffeur-driven rich still exist, she believes that a different kind of Russia has begun to appear. "PR, consultancy, lawyers, computers, advertising. It's very different."

She emphasises Vogue's dual role - "both reality and dream: very close to earth and very glamorous" - and is excited at the letters that have come in response to the first issue from all parts of the country, from people who have neither the time or money to order anything from Cartier or Gucci, but who still get pleasure from lapping up Vogue. This is shopping terapia, in the words of a Russian Vogue headline, - even if it comes without the shopping. One of the enthusiastic letters comes from a woman in the Siberian city of Novosibirsk, who declares: "I was so depressed and then - oh miracle! - I saw the magazine in a kiosk window. I hugged it all day. Now I'm reading it and am happy."

Russian Vogue may sometimes seem unattainable. There are a clutch of foreign names who are involved with the project. But almost every article has a Russian frame of reference which Western editors would scarcely recognise. A fashion shoot with schoolchildren takes as its implied context the rituals played out on the first day of the Russian school year; the headline to a selection of classic Vogue photographs refers obliquely to a once-compulsory and soporific work by Lenin, the Concise Course of Communist History; the writer Tatyana Tolstaya reminisces about shoes and stockings in her Soviet youth; Russian designers and models get a spread of their own. In short, this is more than just a foreign Anschluss by dictators of fashion from abroad. Russia, old and new, is a tangible reality.

Doletskaya, who studied American and English literature in the Brezhnev years, talks proudly in her inaugural Letter from the Editor of a favourite old photograph of her parents, whose "taste of the era, beauty, and youth" made them look as though they "could have come from the pages of an old Vogue". In short: style was possible, even in the old USSR. Dressed now in elegant black-grey-black simplicity (Dolce & Gabbana, Max Mara, and her favourite, Jean-Paul Gaultier), Doletskaya remembers with awe when she first saw a copy of the magazine. Her father, a surgeon, had been sent it by a colleague in the West. "I couldn't believe my eyes. I kept that magazine for years."

Her direct exposure to the West, too, is relatively recent. She first visited the US eight years ago as a translator for a group of Russian architects. She remembers visiting a supermarket - and being overwhelmed. "I began to cry. It was a very strange feeling. I thought: it's so simple, there's nothing complicated. What prevented us from having all this, too?"

From tears in a supermarket to launching Russian Vogue is a remarkable transition in just a few years, as Doletskaya herself acknowledges. "I sometimes have to pinch myself and think: is this true?" Admittedly, Vogue provides an unlikely reason for giving any kind of hope about the direction that a society is going. But Doletskaya's enthusiasm is partly infectious. In the West, Vogue is associated with snootiness. In Russia, it may prove to be more down to earth.
full article here
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=artBody;col1

Last edited by sethii; 24-09-2008 at 09:01 AM.
24-09-2008
V.I.P.

vintage Alyona (she was vogue editor at this point)

vassiliev

24-09-2008
V.I.P.

very tiny images from a dinner in London, prior to an economic forum.

kommersant

24-09-2008
V.I.P.

Global Luxury Forum

en.rian.ru

24-09-2008
V.I.P.

Editor-in-chief of the Vogue Russia magazine Alyona Doletskaya smiles and holds one thumb up as frontman of the Aerosmith rock band, Steven Tyler
takes a picture of her at a party hosted by the Vogue magazine in Moscow's restaurant The Apartment.
(Photo ITAR-TASS / Alexander Kurov) via aero247

24-09-2008
V.I.P.

more from the 10th Anniversary Party of Russian VOGUE in Milan

getty

26-09-2008
front row

she looks so classy in that navy blue dress!

i must admit though, i originally searched for her thread because i loved her voice so much in those style.com collection videos.

V.I.P.

I wonder how long she lived in London....she attended school and university there? She doesn't have any Russian accent.

28-09-2008
V.I.P.

Front row at Fendi, Jil Sander, Marni, Prada, Versace s/s 2009

style.it

28-09-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethii View Post
I wonder how long she lived in London....she attended school and university there? She doesn't have any Russian accent.
She is a linguist. I read in interview that she listened to tons of tapes in English. She perfected he skills in language for a long time, that's why she speaks it sooo well.

I wonder if this rumour she might replace Anna W is true?

28-09-2008
V.I.P.

Who is the guy with her?

28-09-2008
I love you too

^ maybe it's Simon Robins?

I think she looks really great on the new pics! Such a lady

28-09-2008
V.I.P.

They are so cute together , esp. giggling in the 4th pic above

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags