How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Fashion Pack
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-03-2012
.my prison is your brain.

It's funny, I love what she has to say about style (her old blog was amazing), but I've always hated the way she actually puts together an outfit...

12-03-2012
V.I.P.

Didn't know she had a blog. What age is she, approximately? Anyone know? I think I like that last casual outfit I posted best, except I am not sure I'd put the blue shoes with it. But cute top, pants, bag and jacket - she looks really youthful there. In pictures in general she seems to look great dressed down.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 12-03-2012 at 01:16 PM.
12-03-2012

^ Here's a link to her old blog, she quit it when she started at Barneys, it's amazing:
http://iloveyourstyle.com/

12-03-2012
V.I.P.

Merci beaucoup!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
13-03-2012
tfs star

HeatherAnne, I totally agree with you. For me Amanda's appeal lies more in her boundless fashion enthusiasm and knowledge. While her style comes across as very sincere with a sense of humor, the actual styling/orchestration of pieces she chooses to wear (together) does at times lack a certain critical design eye and that 'effortless' innate style quality.

I think Amanda's style is more bred than born and therein lies her charm; her life-long dedication and constant evolution, refining and re-defining of 'style.' I like the idea of an uptown gal subverting expectations (Chloe Sevingy style) by mixin it up with downtown, street influences; I think Amanda and the likes of Tory Burch, helped inject some individuality and diversity among the staid, straight-laced, ladies who lunch, socialite crowd.

tailored

Quote:
Amanda Brooks, Barneys New York’s vice president and fashion director, has resigned and will be relocating to England.

Brooks joined the retailer early last year, and was one of chief executive officer Mark Lee’s instrumental hires to overhaul the retailer’s creative leadership and position it for growth.

“To be the fashion director of a store with such a unique and inspiring vision has always been a dream job,” Brooks said. “I have had the pleasure of working with an incredibly talented team but have resigned to temporarily relocate to England with my husband and children in the interest of further pursuing other opportunities. It is a personal decision and I will miss working with the Barneys team.”

At Barneys, Brooks was in charge of the retailer’s overall direction of trends and how they were interpreted, working with designers, the store’s visual and merchandising teams, as well as key Barneys executives, including creative director Dennis Freedman and chief merchant and executive vice president Daniella Vitale, to whom she reported.

Brooks, who is married to English artist Christopher Brooks, is a well-known figure in New York fashion circles. She joined Barneys from William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, where she was director of fashion, and previously served as creative director at Tuleh. She also penned the book “I Love Your Style: How to Define and Refine Your Personal Style.”

Barneys is not planning to immediately replace Brooks.
wwd.com / march 15, 2012

trendsetter

^ interesting! I wonder what's Amanda's next project!

fashion icon

Wow! I'm actually surprised she's left Barneys.

15-03-2012

Wow, she certainly wasn't there long at all. I really liked what she was doing at Barney's. Their blog, website, and brand promotion in general improved a lot under her. They also seemed to pick up a lot of great new brands in her short tenure. Hope whoever comes next can continue what she started. I'm excited to see what she takes on next.

15-03-2012
V.I.P.

wow, didn't see that one coming! why would she quit a job like that? I really wonder what those "other opportunities" are, or maybe she just quit to spend more time with her family in England?

15-03-2012
V.I.P.

Quick turn-around at such a high-profile job. Hopefully she is happy in England - am also curious about the other opportunities.

16-03-2012
V.I.P.

gastrochic

17-03-2012
V.I.P.

^I guess that's another Alaia skirt? lucky girl...

19-03-2012
flaunt the imperfection..

*julie gilhart is somewhere having a good laugh, right about now...

21-03-2012
tfs star

Wonder what happened? I'm not shocked by her resignation but given her history it did seem like a nice if not the most obvious match.

Yvonne Force Villareal, Jeanne Greenberg and Amanda Brookes attend Creative Time's annual benefit at the 69th Regiment Armory on May 6, 2009.

source: zimbio.com

Attending the Thom Browne Spring 2012 show:

source(s) zimbio.com

Quote:
Socialite Amanda Brooks holds a book signing at the Polo Ralph Lauren boutique on Fillmore Street.

Itinerary: Fly fishing in New Mexico, lol. She looks gorgeous anyways. Amanda always dresses accordingly. Her shoes match the table :p

source(s): imgs.sfgate.com & wwd.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
amanda, brooks