How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Fashion Pack
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

06-10-2008
tfs star

@ Chloe via StyleantheCity blog

anna @ chloe.jpg

06-10-2008
front row

I've just translated the interesting parts, it is too long
sorry for the mistakes.

IL CASO DELLO RUSSO (The Dello Russo Case)

"I'm obssessed with image" says this young woman which Helumt Newton once reffered to as -fashion maniac-. "It's true, clothes are like a disease for me. I collect them, maybe I'll wear them just once but I have to own them. I have 4000 pair of shoes. My entire house is a closet, I even invaded part of the kitchen and the basement . When you enter my house is like going into Barneys because everything is tagged and enveloped in a maniacal way. My true weakness is jewelery because I think that it makes a difference in an outfit. And since I come from the south of Italy when I was a little kid I used to look upon Barese women and I wanted to wear jewelery like them."

Anna was born in 1962, has a bachelor in Italian Literature and Art History. In 1986 she moved to Milano to attend a prestigious master at the Domus Accademy. Gianfranco Ferrè was one of her teachers.
Her first job was at Donna magazine, which lasted only one month. Then she met Annalisa Milella, a journalist who, at that time, worked for Conde Nast. The two began collaborating and after 8 months Anna is at Vogue Italia. She will work there for 18 years (for the last 6 years she is the director of L'Uomo Vogue). Things are going well but in 2006 she decides to leave and become a freelance. The official version of the story says Anna was tired of being in charge of men fashion and wanted to go back to feathers and laces. The other version says her "activity" as a professional consultant were incompatible with her role at the magazine. She made such a huge amount of money that she caught the attention of the Revenue Authorities and the Journalist Association. Anna says "No one ever made me choose: I gave up the previlege of the direction to dedicate to other interests. But it's not only about logic, also deontology: being a freelance gives you more freedom" When asked about stylists Franca Sozzani says "At the beginning you just style for your magazine, but when you understand how it works you have to decide. I cannot allow that people working at my magazine are doing the consultants at the same time". She couldnt have said it clearer.

When Anna left Vogue she had a fancy goodbye party where Sozzani declared "It happens in almost all the respectable families to have a divorce, but since we don't have children we do it pacifically. We are still going to see eachother" And in fact Dello Russo has still an office in the milanese quarter of Conde Nast. She is fashion director and creative consultant for Vogue Nippon. But the biggest part of her job consists in giving her creative contribute to designers and maisons. "I feel I'm much more an art director rather than a stylist. I make up the story behind a show, take track of the direction, realize the communication: I let the brand grow."
It's being said that she has a lot of important and international clients, but she denies. "It would be a mistake (to say it's true), you could outshadow the brand's fame. Im called to make the cake but all the ingridients are already there."

Her wedding dress was made by Dolce & Gabbana " It was a gorgeous dress, it had a chiffon train, 18metres long, I eventually used it to make my curtains"

About her job she says "It's a lot about luck. My hobby is going shopping and I get paid to do it everyday for the rest of my life. Plus you make good money and can allow yourself many luxuries. But off course, you go through sacrifices as well. You learn to consider your physical shape and appearence as a necessity: because it helps to establish a good image and its good for your mind as well. To stay young and to challenge yourself are essential things. If you give up and start wearing your slippers you risk everything. To say it briefly, this job teaches you the rules of the game in a ferocoius way. So always be curious, keep yourself moving, leave the door open and keep your eyes focused. It s hard but it is worthed."

She has a strong Pugliese accent and some people make really bad jokes about it. Someone swears to have heard Anna confusing The Tenenbaums with the Talebans. We asked if, in her opinion, it's fair to allow mean comments due to fame. "It's like soccer. There you have a lot of money involved and high competion, like in the fashion bizz. When you are choosing players for your soccer team you don't want anyone to take your best player, so some teams will play hard. But eventually everyone comes back to the market and you choose the best one. (??I didnt really get it....) Anyways it's true what they say. I can't write or speak well because I'm dyslexic. Sometimes I say incomprehensible words, I make up names, mix different tongues but fortunatly I express my work through images. And no one can tease me about this because in the world of fashion everyone understands it."

When asked about international collegues she says: "Everyone has a strenght. The english people sell very well because their editorial style is a little avant garde, they are always the first at looking for new ideas. We, Italians, have a very beautiful product that no one can beat, for quality, efficiency and tradion. the French people have that allure, in Paris you can feel a fantastic glamour at each show. The americans have the money and the power, can you ask for more?"

translated from "Alla corte di Re Moda " by Fedi and Serlenga, Salami editore

06-10-2008
windowshopping

^ thanks for the translation, where is the book available ?

06-10-2008
front row

I think you can buy it online at hoepli.it, in italian.
It was first presented a week ago during fashion week so I don't know if it is already being sold out of Italy.
Here it is already a must-have.

06-10-2008
fashion icon

Thank you soo much for the translation London13! I need to spread some more Karma before adding to yours, but will definitely do next time!

07-10-2008
front row

you're all welcome =)

08-10-2008

i loved that article
she seems so straightforward
do you think she is actually dyslexic, or does she just get confused sometimes?

Last edited by arlekindearrabal; 08-10-2008 at 04:36 PM.

08-10-2008
fashion insider

like the Style&thecity shot

08-10-2008
V.I.P.

thanks for translating Londoner13 !!

she seems really thoughtful about her role in the industry, definately very self aware and focused.

11-10-2008

anna appears twice in the current 'on the street' over at the ny times

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ure/index.html

13-10-2008
tfs star

^^^ Thank you!

Here are the pics:

anna d.jpg anna d 1.jpg

source: same as above - NY Times/On the Street

13-10-2008

thx for capturing those!
i really love the prada look
not so convinced by the night-time balenciaga, though...

13-10-2008
fashion insider

^agreed!! love the first look. so fierce!

23-10-2008
fashion insider

she has an amazing taste

25-10-2008
boo

source: me

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2008, 2010, anna, dello, january, russo, september