How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Fashion Pack
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

31-01-2005
V.I.P.

Anna Wintour (January 2005 - March 2010)
please post pics etc of Ms. Wintour..

31-01-2005
V.I.P.

are you serious after that pic of yours?

31-01-2005
fashion insider

I find that picture hailarious...I want to see more

31-01-2005
tfs star

LOVE it!!
I LOVE that pic & poster!!

anna is a notoriously callous cold & cruel human being. us vogue has declined under her watch year to year.
just waut til the new anna bio is published this month- we're all AHEAD of the curve- anna is about to be skewered!!!!

31-01-2005
fashion insider

^ I thought you worship vogue

31-01-2005
tfs star

nope
like the real fashionists I love Italian Vogue, paris Vogue, much of UK vogue & nippon vogue.
anna is reviled among the hardcore fashionists, surely youve heard?
I cant wait for that bio to come this month.
i do respect some of us vogues editors & photogs: penn & elgort precede anna by many decades, meisel too.
testino, mcdean, klein all do their best work AWAY from anna's frigid influence.
based on the last 3 months, glenda bailey's bazaar is kicking anna's ***.
onward to march!

01-02-2005
backstage pass

Wasnít there that problem with the Wintourís nanny a few months back? Animal campaigners dumped a bucket of blood coloured paint on the Wintourís doorstep. To cut a long story short, the nanny sued them for the effects the paint stripper had on her (she passed out and had to be taken to hospital.)

To be honest, Iíve heard of a lot worse that Anna Wintourís choice of wardrobe. Madonna was wearing that coat made of lamb foetuses. Wearing a dead animals skin is one thing, wearing the skin of a creature that has not even been born yet is another!

01-02-2005
tfs star

anna's maid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashion Puss
Wasnít there that problem with the Wintourís nanny a few months back? Animal campaigners dumped a bucket of blood coloured paint on the Wintourís doorstep. To cut a long story short, the nanny sued them for the effects the paint stripper had on her (she passed out and had to be taken to hospital.)

To be honest, Iíve heard of a lot worse that Anna Wintourís choice of wardrobe. Madonna was wearing that coat made of lamb foetuses. Wearing a dead animals skin is one thing, wearing the skin of a creature that has not even been born yet is another!
yes conde nast had to pay the ex-maid between $500,0000 & $1 million for her illness. madonna is no peach in the fashion stakes but her music is often pleasant. anna has had her moments as an editor but from most accounts shes a rancid human being and no friend to the animal lovers. us vogue is a mixed bag in this century and anna's sexless agenda disappoints.
i suspect anna's bio this month will touch on many enemies, many feuds and anecdotes of evil behaviour. I cant wait.

02-02-2005
tfs star

anna the cruel: new bio & ny post 2/1/05
ny post article 2/1/05 about new anna bio book r/o:....

February 1, 2005 -- THAT bob. That scowl. That bone-chilling glare.

Nobody inspires envy, fear and - apparently - hatred quite like icy editrix Anna Wintour, parodied in "The Devil Wears Prada" and now the subject of a biting unauthorized biography hitting stores today.

Jerry Oppenheimer's "Front Row: Anna Wintour: The Cool Life and Hot Times of Vogue's Editor-in-Chief" (St. Martin's Press, $24.95) chronicles her calculated climb to the most powerful job in fashion, starting with her days as a British schoolgirl, aching to be free of her itchy brown school uniform.

Even as a young teen in London - who already had her signature bob by age 14 - young Anna displayed the qualities that would someday serve her so well: obsession with the latest trends, desire to be part of the most fashionable circles, a weakness for older men and mostly, complete confidence in her own vision, which is widely regarded as brilliant, at least where fashion is concerned.

In fact, Wintour, now 55, was so focused on style she never finished high school - and by several accounts, still can't write.

But that didn't stop Wintour - seemingly nothing could - as she steamrolled her way to style supremacy, leaving bruised egos, trampled rivals, embittered assistants and broken friendships by her stilettoed feet.

http://[img]http://ad.doubleclick.ne...0874[/img]

Wintour, the daughter of a powerful newspaper editor and a social worker mom, began belittling other females from an early age, according to Oppenheimer's account.

Her former best friend Vivienne Lasky recalled how a young Anna would buy her stylish outfits as gifts - but the items were always a size too small. On other occasions, the rail-thin young fashionista would cook all of her pal's favorite meals.

Then, instead of dining with Vivienne, Anna - who would eat a single Granny Smith apple for lunch each day - would watch her chubbier friend eat while deriding her for her weight.

Their friendship lasted into adulthood, but began coming apart on one of many social occasions when Wintour shocked others with her bad behavior.

Rudeness was one of Wintour's most striking traits - whether it was cutting remarks directed at other women, not speaking to fellow guests at a party, not thanking hostesses or merely stiting in a chair sulking.

She also became an expert in the art of the diss.

One writer, who ran into her years after they'd worked together at a magazine, recalled running into Wintour in the street.

"I said 'Hello, Anna' but she just looked through me and cut me dead, just pretending she didn't know me. It was incredible," she tells Oppenheimer. Several other former colleagues had the same experience.

At the same time, Wintour, by all accounts a striking young beauty, was highly skilled at manipulating men, who fell about her feet by the heap.

One former editor recalls: "She would sit totally silent, her legs tucked under her in a catlike position, wearing these beautifully pleated wool skirts, and she would practically put her thumb in her mouth. I will not swear that she put her thumb in her mouth, but my impression was she was about to. She was like a baby doll . . ."

Another tells Oppenheimer: "She looked frail, she looked fragile, and obviously that appeals to a lot of men. Anna would stand there with the fringe hanging down over her eyes, looking very sort of helpless, a waiflike look, but far from being a waif, and the men would line up."

And line up they did.

Before she married South African psychiatrist David Shaffer in 1984, Wintour dated more than her share of older men, mainly British authors, editors and gossip columnists (and, oddly, Monty Python funnyman Eric Idle).

Often, Wintour juggled several at once, and it was up to her poor assistants to keep her boyfriends away from one another and cover for Wintour.

One assistant recalls how "one of her most important roles was making excuses to Anna's many suitors when she was off with someone else . . . 'She was involved with two and three persons at the same time sometimes.'"

When Wintour finally settled down with Shaffer - whom she started dating while involved with another man - the less-than-glamorous shrink seemed a surprising choice for a woman so clearly dazzled by handsome rogues.

"Despite all of Shaffer's love and support over the years, Anna is said to have gotten bored with the marriage, just as she got bored with the length of skirts, or photographers who had served their purpose, or assistants who didn't act slavish, or designers who no longer turned on her fashion juices,"Oppenheimer writes.

Wintour eventually left Shaffer in the late '90s, for the sexy multimillionaire John Shelby Bryan, who remains by her side.

Career-wise, Wintour has always one goal, which she pursued with ruthless ambition while working her way from a London shopgirl to a $12,000-a-year assistant to fashion jobs at various magazines, including British Vogue and New York magazine.

So desperately did Wintour want to be No. 1 at American Vogue that when she finally landed her first interview with Grace Mirabella - the editor at the time - she couldn't contain her desire.

"Grace [Mirabella] said to Anna, 'If you came to Vogue, what job would you like?' And Anna said, 'Well, actually, the job I would like is your job.' Mirabella instantly terminated the discussion and had Anna ushered out," Oppenheimer writes.

But the curt Wintour was never one to worry about other people's feelings - and loyalty, apparently, meant little.

When she was hired as editor in chief of British Vogue in 1986, she started firing people right away - "among the first to be fired, curiously, were close Wintour family friends and longtime colleagues of her father," writes Oppenheimer.

One of them Alex Walker, a film critic, was in New York years later and decided that he'd put his grudge aside and go into the Condā Nast building to say hello to Wintour.

She got on the phone to the lobby, thanked him for coming and hung up.

While in London, she also drove fashion director Grace Coddington to quit - even though Coddington had been one of the people who'd helped her get the job.

As one New York magazine editor tells Oppenheimer, "her goals were very clear, and they weren't about human relationships. The reason she never had any good friends was because she decided friends were not going to be the answer for her."

Even with few allies, Wintour was nevertheless adept early at getting people to do her work for her, and had a habit of surrounding herself with talented people, even if she drove them mad.

"It was widely known and joked about that she couldn't put any of her styling talent into words on paper," recalls one former colleague who had to write Wintour's stories for her.

By 1988, Wintour had achieved her goal at long last - and remains today the world's most influential fashion editor. She's launched the careers of Tom Ford, Stella McCartney and Zac Posen and most recently featured Melania Knauss - Mrs. Donald Trump - in her wedding dress on the Vogue cover.

S.I. Newhouse called her "the greatest Vogue editor of them all," designer John Galliano calls her his "fairy godmother" and her Vogue sidekick Andrā Leon Talley says, "the Red Sea parts when she walks through the room."

And no matter how many crumpled former assistants are tossed from her office in tears, there's another one ready to take her place. "When it involves Anna," a highly placed Conde Nast executive says in the book, "it's a bitch-eat-bitch world

18-09-2005
windowshopping

I look up to Anna Witour .... I think she's awesome!

19-09-2005
backstage pass

^gaha. you're a coldhearted bitch then!

i think she's just dandy, because she is the ultimate stereotype of a magazine editor- bitchy, cold, and a hardcore social climber.

i think that in 'how to lose a guy in ten days' the editor was based off of anna wintour a bit...remember the bob? and how she wouldn't let kate hudson's character write anything meaningful?

however, i respect anna wintour and even admire her for the quality of the monthly articles that are ... memoirs? memories? etc? some of my fav. articles in my article collection are from that section.

and who's the editor of like USWeekly or Star? Bonnie? Now that's just gross.

give me anna over bonnie any ****ing day of the week!!!

22-09-2005
windowshopping

she looks great! as always!

28-09-2005
V.I.P.

Has anyone from the Fashion Spot worked for Anna Wintour?

28-09-2005
backstage pass

I'm not a fan but I would love to see her and Karl and all the big names in the industry beat up Tara Subkoff. Oh yeah.

28-09-2005

^lol

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2005, 2010, anna, january, march, wintour