How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Fashion Pack
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

19-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchCactus View Post
^ Cool set! Her legs are to die for.
and she KNOWS it...
notice how we barely even see her face!?...
it's ALL LEGS...

always play to your strengths...

...very nice......

24-08-2011
fashion icon

What a cool interview..

24-08-2011
girl who fell to earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
thanks for posting...
i've been curious to see the entire catalog...

not sure how i'm feeling about it yet...
i don't know if it's a good thing to view the images one by one the way they are doing on the barneys site...

i think i need to see the whole thing at once in print form before i can really get an understanding of it all...
cause right now it just seems random to me...

question:
are they posting the credits for the clothes and you just aren't posting them?
because i would think that they are sort of important in a dept store catalog...

:p...
good question! the impression at the moment is so much more about the women than the actual clothes they're wearing...

is that intentional? the woman makes the clothes and not the other way around?

24-08-2011
V.I.P.

^ I think the pictures are for the display too, not just the catalogue.

I think the interview with karl is fine, they disagree sometimes and that's life. I prefer to hear more about her upcoming projects, though I think she doesn't know much yet.

24-08-2011
Vogue Paris Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
question:
are they posting the credits for the clothes and you just aren't posting them?
because i would think that they are sort of important in a dept store catalog...
:p...
No no they are posting the credits for the clothes. I'm just too lazy to repost them and I personally think the pictures and quotes are more interesting I actually haven't once looked at those credits. Sorry!

Last edited by FrenchCactus; 24-08-2011 at 01:24 PM.

25-08-2011
fashion elite

mary is in stella (obviously) and victoire is in alaia.

25-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
No no they are posting the credits for the clothes. I'm just too lazy to repost them and I personally think the pictures and quotes are more interesting I actually haven't once looked at those credits. Sorry!
i understand -
but i think we would all appreciate it if you would post the credits actually...
because she STYLED the images...
so she chose all the clothes and decided who would wear them and how...
and that is really the point of the pictures...
it's what she DOES, you know...as a stylist...

thanks...

25-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyM View Post
good question! the impression at the moment is so much more about the women than the actual clothes they're wearing...

is that intentional? the woman makes the clothes and not the other way around?
no...definitely not...
it's because someone was too lazy to post the credits...

it is called Carine's World...
so it's just stuff and people she likes...
it's all explained in all the articles about this collaboration...
so - it's all about carine...

Last edited by softgrey; 25-08-2011 at 10:44 AM.

25-08-2011
V.I.P.

^yeah. we knew that already...

25-08-2011
Vogue Paris Intern

If someone wants to posts the credits, feel free to do so

25-08-2011
girl who fell to earth

Quote:
If someone wants to posts the credits, feel free to do so
i added the clothing credits to your post

26-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKnardi View Post
^yeah. we knew that already...
yeah- then you all should have known to post the credits too...
duh!...

31-08-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
When Carine Roitfeld resigned from Vogue Paris in December after a decade at its helm, the fashion world was left to wonder what the smiling, sultry arbiter of French chic would do next. Eight months, one department-store collaboration, at least two major styling jobs, three charity galas, and a curatorial project later, the answer is clear: a lot.

Roitfeld’s latest endeavor, Irreverent (Rizzoli), is an aptly titled 368-page album of photographs culled over her 30-year career. Among images from some of her most famous, and most provocative, shoots—including Eva Herzigova posing with a lot of bloody boeuf for The Face in 1997 and last year’s plastic-surgery story with Crystal Renn—are intimate, endearing snapshots of Roitfeld’s partner, Christian Restoin, and their children, Julia and Vladimir. (In Roitfeld’s world, the personal is the professional and vice versa.)

It’s not in the stylist’s nature to look back, and with this project completed, she’s enthusiastic about what’s ahead. Which, in addition to Irreverent’s release on October 18 (proceeds benefit amfAR) and a book she’s doing with Karl Lagerfeld that’s scheduled for December, might include . . . eyeliner? “I have so many proposals in front of me, cosmetics or even a clothes line,” she told Vogue during a recent phone conversation from France. “I didn’t say yes or no.”

While there’s been no lack of work since her departure from Vogue Paris, Roitfeld has missed the regular dialogue with her audience. And this, it seems, has left her with a lot to say.

On life after Vogue Paris
“Everyone says I’m more relaxed. The moment you leave a big company after ten years, even though I was very happy there, everything looks different—like a bird in a cage, even if it was a golden cage. I have freedom and freedom has a price, but in another way I enjoy this and maybe am more serene, more quiet, more cool, more calm.”

On releasing editorial control
“I did a story for [the September issue of] V, and we had a lot of fun. But if it was my magazine, I would do all the text, looking for old pictures, looking for jewelry, for everything. Here I just did my story. It was still interesting because I could go further. It’s very nice to be a guest, but you like to receive people around your own table.”

On her fame
“I think everything came with the blogs, because I worked 20 years ago, and 20 years ago no one was talking about me. I didn’t change. Maybe I was at the right moment. But sometimes I say, What is so interesting about me? I am just doing photo shoots. It’s not something that extraordinary. I’m not a great artist, I’m not writing books, I’m not a painter, and people in the streets ask me for a picture or a note and I say why? But I think it’s better to appreciate it, because maybe it’s not forever.”

On fostering young designers
“Here in France I’ve seen some very good young designers, but they don’t have this ability to be good businessmen, too. I think America gives you this. Maybe one regret I have about Vogue Paris is not to be more helpful for young designers. It’s true when you have a magazine, you have more power to help. My last issue was dedicated to young designers. OK, it was the last issue, but it was a beginning.”

On the American work ethic
“I love your energy. You’re very quick to react and jump in projects and have a lot of enthusiasm for all projects, I think much more than in France. This I really like. In France, August was a very quiet month. This August [in New York] was not really a holiday for me because I have so much cooking with my book, with Barneys New York [Roitfeld styled and appears in the fall women’s campaign], with V. So I say, Oh, my God, this is America, it never stops.”

On the role of cigarettes in photos
“The book is dedicated to my husband, who quit smoking seven months ago. When he decided to stop smoking, I said, My God, it’s too bad I didn’t try to help him to stop before. Now I decide I will never use a cigarette again in any shoot. When you’re doing fashion pictures, you’re talking to lots of figures; some are very young, and they’re like sponges. So if your girl is smoking a cigarette, they can say, Oh, my God, it’s smart to smoke a cigarette, it’s good for the look, so I’m going to have one, too. And it’s totally stupid. It’s an easy solution to make a picture more interesting, but it’s not the only solution. And now it’s like, forgive me for all these cigarettes I’ve put in all these issues.”
vogue.com

31-08-2011
Vogue Paris Intern

^ On fostering youg designers, I remember a show with Mademoiselle Agnès that aired in France a few seasons ago. She was complaining about the lack of energy and spotlight on young emerging designers in France. Anna Wintour, whom she interviewed, was very negative about the Parisian scene and Vogue Paris about that. And it's only after that episode that Vogue Paris started writing about young designers.
There are some very good designers in France. French Elle has showcased them for years. Vogue Paris was just too busy talking about Balmain and the other high luxury brands to give them some pages.

02-09-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Questions for Carine Roitfeld

By ANDREW GOLDMAN
Published: September 2, 2011

Before you became editor of French Vogue in 2001, you were best known for being an inspiration to Tom Ford. And in your new book, “Irreverent,” you include a handwritten note from him in which he writes that he’d like to take you out for a romantic dinner. What exactly is a romantic dinner like between a gay man and a straight woman?

Ask each woman that ever met Tom, and they will tell you that they were under the charm of Tom. O.K., Tom, unfortunately for the woman, is gay. But he is very not so gay. Even the way he touches a woman, the way he puts his hand on your back or the way he opens the car for you, he’s a gentleman. You’re dying that he likes everything you’re wearing, everything you’re doing, because his taste is very important to you. You want to seduce him all the time.

People have said that your December 2010 issue that Ford guest-edited was not popular with the bosses at Condé Nast and that it’s the reason that you no longer edit the magazine.

Not at all. I decided to leave before this issue because I was doing French Vogue 10 years, 100 issues. A lot of people say I was fired because of this issue, because of the little girls dressed in mom clothes.

Also the picture of the elderly couple making out and the plastic surgery fashion shoot with a model wearing bandages all over her face decked out in couture and jewels.

It was very, very controversial. Old couples, kids, surgery. But it was not done on purpose because I was leaving. It was done before that, you know.

There was a lot of bondage in the magazine during your tenure.

The reason I call my book “Irreverent” is because there were a lot of pictures that were very irreverent. Maybe I could call my book “Forgiving” because maybe I made a lot of errors too. But did you know that for Japanese people, bondage is like an art. In Japan you can learn how to make a bunch of flowers. This is an art. Tea ceremony, it’s an art. And bondage is an art, too.

I heard a rumor that you had a scale in your office on which you weighed the women who worked for you. You once said of your staff, “All my girls are very skinny and very chic and very beautiful.”

It’s true there was a scale in my office, but I had it because I was doing a lot of traveling. And to travel, each suitcase cannot be more than 25 kilos. So it was a scale to weigh the cases. The rumor is more fun.

You’ve mentioned before that people say you resemble Iggy Pop. You’re an attractive woman. I’ve wondered, did someone actually say that to your face?

I don’t know who was the first person, but monkey see, monkey do, so a lot of people just repeat it. Maybe it’s because I am quite skinny, or because I have big eyes and dark circles under them. It’s true he’s not the most handsome person today, but I don’t think it’s bad. I would prefer if they said, “You are a beautiful version of Iggy Pop.”

You’ve been spending a lot of time in the United States, working with Barneys. What major fashion mistake are Americans making right now?

I think that Americans, they love comfort more than Europeans. Americans created the T-shirt, the sweat pants, and they create the best sporting shoes. When I see a woman in the street, sometimes I think, Oh, it’s a bit too comfortable the way she is dressing, you know? And not in a nice way.

I also understand you’re not into fur these days.

I like fur, but there’s a sort of smell on it that now I don’t like.

Well, it smells a little like a dead animal, right?

Yes, exactly. But not sheepskin. Sheepskin is different. But I can’t say I will never wear fur again because I will lie. Maybe tomorrow I’m going to see a beautiful mink coat, and I’ll really want it, even if there is some smell in it. I will put perfume on. Mules I’m sure I will never wear.

You’re always railing against mules. What did mules ever do to you?

I hate mules. I hate the noise when someone walks with mules. Clomp, clomp, clomp. I think it’s very not chic. I don’t even like a flip-flop. I don’t like this noise. I don’t think I’ve used mules one time in a story.
nytimes.com

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, 2013, carine, roitfeld