How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Fashion Pack
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

11-09-2011
V.I.P.

style.com

11-09-2011
V.I.P.

There's was Carine for Barney's party in New York yesterday.

Quote:
Carine Does Karaoke

While rap brats Odd Future were performing at Alexander Wang's party at Pier 40, a very different headliner was being urged to the stage across the West Side Highway at Westway. At Barneys New York's karaoke party celebrating Carine Roitfeld and the debut of her campaign for the department store, the man of the midnight hour was none other than Valentino Garavani, who brought down the house with a fabulously unironic version of "My Way." It wasn't a moment, it was a moment (see video) .

"Done, over—absolutely no one is going to try to top that," said a voice in the audience. But some brave souls did, including Roitfeld, who, having earlier performed a feel-good duet with Anna Dello Russo of Wham!'s "Careless Whisper," now turned her attention to Carly Simon's "You're So Vain." We've heard a rumor that fashion sometimes takes itself too seriously. Kudos to Roitfeld and Barneys creative director Dennis Freedman for devising an evening of entertainment that put a smile on everyone's face. Even before Val got up for his encore, it was clear the night had been "Unforgettable."
style.com

11-09-2011
Vogue Paris Intern

I love the Givenchy skirt she wore to Alexander Wang!

11-09-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Cutting Loose at Carine Roitfeld’s Karaoke Party in a Strip Club

"This place looks like it could be in a Cassavetes film, no?" Carine Roitfeld said on Saturday evening, gesturing around the room at Westway, a former strip joint near the West Side Highway where she was celebrating her collaboration with Barneys for the fall campaign. "I wanted to dress and look like a Cassavetes woman, so I went for vintage tonight," she said of her shimmering gold dress. "I would love to be a Cassavetes actress tonight. And singer," Roitfeld told The Cut. "I'm going to sing."

We smiled and nodded, thinking this was idle party chatter.

Fashion folk poured into the party as the evening progressed; we spotted Stefano Tonchi, Bruce Weber, Klaus Biesenbach and Cathy Horyn in the crowd. Alexander Wang stopped by before heading to his own party, across the street.

And later, as promised, Roitfeld jumped on the runway — undoubtedly used by the strippers in the club's previous incarnation — to launch the karaoke with a gleeful rendition of George Michael's "Careless Whisper." Roitfeld's bravery loosened up the crowd and Simon Doonan followed, rocking "Nasty Girl." Stefano Tonchi joined Anna Dello Russo in a duet. (Actually, Dello Russo joined almost everybody on duets.) Karolina Kurkova wasn't surprised; she said Carine likes to have fun. She's funny, for sure," Kurkova said. "We're having karaoke at a strip club; how awesome is that? I said to my husband this is our first time together at a strip club."

Around 11 pm, Valentino Garavani and Giancarlo Giammetti swept into the party with an entourage, and, yep, Valentino got on the stage and sang "Unforgettable." For an encore, the designer belted "My Way."

Meanwhile, a few people told the Cut about their first creative encounters with the formidable Roitfeld.

Karlie Kloss:
The first time I met Carine it was in Paris, four years ago. She styled a Prada boutique, and it was the opening of the new store and she had me in a leotard with snakes, dancing around this boutique. She knew that I did ballet, and she had me dancing ballet with snakes around this boutique. Live snakes. It sounds like something out of a dream, but only Carine could make something like that happen. Yes, it was the first time I worked with Carine, and I was dancing with snakes.

Alexander Wang:
She came into my showroom about six years ago and of course I was star struck; I was left breathless. She knew exactly which look she wanted from the runway, she was like, 'You're going to make this for me so it's knee-length.' I go, 'Of course!' That was the first time. It's been a very fruitful relationship ever since.

Bruce Weber:
How could I forget it? We ended up in a barn up in Montauk with this beautiful girl who was a stripper, and we were doing clothes. And all the animals were watching.

Simon Doonan:
I used to live in the Rifat Ozbek showroom, under the racks of clothing, and Carine came by with Mario Testino and we all had dinner, it was really fun. And she was telling me how Mario makes her wear high heels all the time. This must have been the late eighties. That was before girls wore high heels, and even then, Carine was in a tight skirt and high heels. And she has essentially the same look [now.]
nymag

11-09-2011
tfs star

upload images

teampeterstigter.com

11-09-2011
V.I.P.

How I wish there was a video to this karaoke session. Don't care for Carine's choice of outfit to the Barneys party. Although I adore the Givenchy skirt on her - that's the Carine I love.

11-09-2011
V.I.P.

^^i sooo love this outfit! gorgeous givenchy skirt

11-09-2011
Vogue Paris Intern

Tommy Ton

11-09-2011
fashion elite

that givenchy skirt is hands down one of my favorite pieces for fall. and now my favorite style icon is wearing it so win-win!

11-09-2011
V.I.P.

She looks amazing in the Givenchy skirt. The look is so Carine. As for the party it sounds like everyone had a blast and Carine was the soul of the party.

11-09-2011
V.I.P.

I LOVE that gold dress. So 80s/90s mash up.

I never knew she styled Gwyneth's Vanity Fair September 2000 cover. It's one of my favourites.

11-09-2011
Vogue Paris Intern

Two of the videos playing in the Barneys windows, with images of her apartment in the first one. You can barely hear what is said in the videos when you are actually in front of the windows and what I personally saw was just 20' clips being played over and over again.

11-09-2011
fashion icon

OHh thank you for the videos.. Love them!!

11-09-2011
backstage pass

Yes thanks for the videos, Carine is amazing.

11-09-2011
front row

she is stunning.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, 2013, carine, roitfeld