How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Fashion Pack
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

30-09-2011
Vogue Paris Intern

Carine at Colette

Colette Twitter account

30-09-2011
V.I.P.

Fabulous look: love the sheerness on that skirt.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

01-10-2011
MON
V.I.P.

She`s everywhere! I`m starting to get sick of it. I love Carine but it`s just too much and too overwhelming.

* I thought she wanted to do new things, why a new Magazine then?

01-10-2011
fashion icon

I would suggest that a new magazine is in fact a new thing for her. For one, its hers.

01-10-2011
Vogue Paris Intern

Carine at Gaultier

style.com

01-10-2011
V.I.P.

Are those shoes in #423 the same as the ones TTH (Taylor...) has been wearing? They look very similar.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

02-10-2011
Mr. Zhivago

I hope her magazine uses beautiful font like Vogue Paris did under her.

02-10-2011
V.I.P.

^I think the fonts used in Vogue Paris, at least until 2008, were Fabien Baron's work, so he should be the one credited for them.

02-10-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarsha View Post
Carine is launching magazine in September 2012!!!

lexpress.fr, translated via google
I loved this interview ... but it was translated by Google ... which means you loose a lot in the translation ...it's so literal, word by word. So ... I'm going to clean it up some, hopefully to make it a bit more easy to understand:
Quote:

Carine Roitfeld: "There is a very fine line between accepting gifts and being bought"

When, a few days ago, I received and offer to meet with Carine Roitfeld, along with a handful of French fashion bloggers, to discuss her book, Irreverent, I almost fell off my chair. Would the ex-Editor in Chief of Vogue Paris be interested in the Web? Skeptical, I nevertheless agreed, excited at the idea of ​​exchanging a few words with the superstar of the fashion press.

So, yesterday morning I spent an hour with Betty, Matthew, Caroline, Nardjisse and, ahem, Carine. She came into the room at the press office 20 minutes late, offered a warm apology, laid her disturbing green and bronze eyes upon us and began to talk about the book. When I had read her words in interviews, I felt like she was talking about something else. With good grace, she stuck to her plan to talk about the design business. She was uninhibited with no waffling, seeming to try to prove to us that she had her feet on the ground, even if we we know she still lives in a parallel world which is much more chic than ours.

You mentioned in the press, about a big project you were working on. Can you tell us more?
It will be a magazine. I would love to do four times a year. Initially I wanted to do it on the Internet, but it's a lot of investment, a lot of time, I do not know if it suits me. I know that now you have to go with the Internet, and the photos are of very good quality on iPad, but things quickly go out of style on the Net. We'll start with the paper issue ... in September, in English.

You have already found a name?
Yes. I can not tell you, I'm trying to see if it is not already filed, but I think it suits me, it's pretty rock and roll. I could call it "Carine Roitfeld" like Oprah Winfrey did and put me on the cover every month, but I'm not sure if this is what people expect. At the moment everyone is seeing me a lot, I'll even do a signing at Colette and it amuses me, but after a while I will want to stop.

You have an idea who will come to you at Colette?
No, it's not my list. It will surely be very street, very young, as in the Vogue Fashion Night. You do not choose your audience, it is your audience that chooses you. I am delighted that it is young, it keeps me young myself, that means that I'm not an old grandmother. I do not feel jaded.

Back to your magazine project. How will it be different from Vogue?
I do not want to compete with Vogue. Besides, I'm not sure they see me as having a very good eye. It will not be easy for me to run a magazine independently ... to go up against them. It's like a little earthen pot pitted against against the iron pot. But I still have friends willing to support me. I would like to succeed in mixing a lot of very different people, as one would invite guests for a dinner.

A photo session was improvised, which brings us to these comments:
Wait, can I manage it? My husband will still tell me that my hair is flat. Do you know what I'm wearing? This shirt, it is not identifiable, right? It's an old Balenciaga. Also the skirt because the stars. It's a Dolce. Anyway I have not finished the total look, I does not look like it's right off a runway, does it? And that's an old jacket Junya Watanabe. It is classic, it's great, right? I keep them a long time, it's expensive clothing.

At the same time, brands still must offer their lines to you, right?
Not really. They offer many handbags as they know very well that it's not my thing. Okay, I admit that I was very spoiled, but I belong to no one.

The photo shoot continues.
You saw the cover of iD ? For the French, it is the greatest compliment. In fashion, it's better than the cover of Vogue you know. It's an iconic magazine, and there was not one stylist on the cover before me.

Caroline noted that she (Carine) is more than a stylist. Carine hesitates.
Maybe, but I have a problem when I travel. At the customs they ask me my profession, I do not know what to say.

Icon?
Oh no, stop! I've always been ashamed to write "Editor". I found it very pretentious. It took me years to get used to it. Now I do not know. Finally I put "Fashion Editor". That said, I started writing, I could put a journalist. I have my press card, for that matter.

Does having your press card and consulting seem compatible to you? It has often been criticized for writers.
It's complicated. When you have your press pass, I think 70 or 80% of what you earn should be journalistic. The rest can be something else. Today I am doing more editorial work than advertising campaigns. But it is a taboo subject. You do not have a fashion editor who is not also consulting. In any case, there are only ten and they are the same ten running.

But now they are supposed to no longer do Vogue .
Yes, that's fine, although I do not think that's true. Ethically, it is not normal to do both, but it is a tradition that has lasted 20 years in this environment. In the U.S. things are different because magazines pay their writers well, which does not give them the desire to go elsewhere. Here, if you are not very well paid, you tell yourself that for two days of publicity work you can earn more than one month of (writing) work, so you begin to ask questions. I find it difficult to change the rules of the game, but right now I think there are too many abuses. It's like getting gifts. There is a very fine line between accepting gifts and being bought.

How do you not feel like you are being bought?
I spend a lot of money in the shops. I am much into Rick Owens, I often spend at Balenciaga. Givenchy's different, Ricardo is a friend, I have his skirts. It's like the SNCF, the children do not pay for train tickets. You need to have benefits, but also learn to set limits. This I bought (she shows her blouse), also (the jacket), but I have been given (the skirt). Everything is about balance.

Last edited by BetteT; 02-10-2011 at 04:38 PM.

02-10-2011
V.I.P.

terrysdiary

02-10-2011
V.I.P.

I don't really understand her quest for another magazine... what's the point? she could have continued at vogue...

03-10-2011
V.I.P.

saywho

03-10-2011
fashion icon

Care backstage at Givenchy..
looking amagazing!
http://buro247.ru/fashion/news/2489.html

03-10-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKnardi View Post
I don't really understand her quest for another magazine... what's the point? she could have continued at vogue...
That's what I don't understand either. She said she left VP after ten years to do something different and now she's going to create a new magazine? Many of her recent statements are kind of pretentious and that's why she's starting to annoy me.

03-10-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKnardi View Post
The fact she is going to make magazine makes me more sure that she was fired from Vogue Paris and she didn't left it.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, 2013, carine, roitfeld