How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Fashion Pack
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

01-02-2012
V.I.P.

^eh, no! she looks so awkward..

01-02-2012
V.I.P.

it`s due to pigeon-toes

01-02-2012
fashion elite

I love the shots of her and Tilda but now you've mentioned her being pigeon toed I can't like that picture. Otherwise it would be nice.

01-02-2012
fashion icon

my god her eyebrows are awful

01-02-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKnardi View Post
Yeah that's the point. Like a caricature of her.

02-02-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Label Basher View Post
Yeah that's the point. Like a caricature of her.
yeah I see! :p

02-02-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKnardi View Post
Where does she look akward?

03-02-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimoon27 View Post
Where does she look akward?
her posture in the pic is weird...

08-02-2012
Mr. Magic

Quote:
As we prepare to release our twenty-fifth issue of VMAN, guest edited by the indomitable Carine Roitfeld, Derek Blasberg sits down with our favorite tastemaker and style icon to discuss what it is that makes a man. Find out whatís in store for our upcoming Spring Fashion Issue, and why Ms. Roitfeld would rather see a good haircut on a man than too much skin.

DEREK BLASBERG Weíre very excited about your issue of VMAN. What are your first thoughts on menís style?
CARINE ROITFELD
I like trendy men, but I donít like fashion victims. So I wanted the issue to fulfill that vision. The goal was to make fashion look smart and believable.

DB You and I have spoken about what you think is a clichť version of menís fashion. I was shocked that you think sometimes too much sex is a bad thing.
CR
I was looking at several menís fashion magazines and I thought so many of them were so boring. They pushed sex so much that it became vulgar. The boys were naked just to be naked. For me, that is not modern. I want beauty and something that is truly interesting, not just a naked man.

DB Are you saying that people have forgotten the line between sexy and shocking?
CR
Yes. I like when a boy is very sexy; I liked when Tom Ford first put extremely sexy men on the runway. But I do not like it when male models start to look like sex toys. For me, thatís when they lose their beauty. Itís the same when a girl wants to dress weird just to be weird and get attention. There has to be a reason behind it. To do something merely shocking is too easy.

DB So, how did you put your version of modern sexy together for VMAN?
CR
To realize my issue, I imagined organizing the perfect dinner party. I started with the photographers, inviting some old friends like Bruce Weber and Peter Lindbergh, who Iíve known for years, and [Jean-Baptiste] Monidino, who I have always admired but havenít worked with in twenty years. And then I asked some new people too, like Nick Knight. It was my big dream to do something with Nick because we had never worked together before. Michael Avedon is a new talent too. I was happy to find him: He is the grandson of Richard Avedon, who we all know, but he has an interesting eye that is his own.

DB And then you filled the rest of the seats with the talent?
CR
Yes, exactly. I didnít want male models. I wanted handsome actors, well known singers, real men from Manhattan, and a few strangers that maybe a reader would not recognize but would want to know more about. And, of course, you need beautiful girls, so I would invite some of Victoriaís Secretís girls. This is a very interesting dinner, no?

DB Yes. I can only hope Iíd get the invitation too.
CR
Wait and see.

DB Is fashion different for men than for women?
CR
Fashion can be a difficult thing for men to follow. Itís not as literal. When I go to a menís show, I find myself looking more at the boys themselves than what theyíre wearing. The person is more important than the clothes in menswear.

DB So, youíre saying clothes donít make the manóbut they help.
CR
Yes. Itís interesting. You can put one outfit on one boy and he looks ridiculous, but on someone else it can look fantastic. That is what makes menís fashion difficult, but also exciting.

DB What is the first word that comes to your when you think about a stylish man?
CR
Effortless. Itís not chic for a man to look too trendy, like they care too much. You want the look to be cool. The clothes are part of this, but they are not everything.

DB Do you have any favorite menswear designers?
CR
I look to different designers for different things, and it all depends on how I feel. Sometimes Iím thinking what Iíd buy for my husband. But then, perhaps, I want something more daring and sexy, so Iíll look for a man in a leather skirt. I will say this: When it comes to a menís show, the casting is more important than the clothes.

DB Thatís an interesting observation.
CR
Look at Dior Homme. When Hedi [Slimane] was there, the casting became this new idea. And then other brands started following him, and even today we still see his type of boysóvery slim, slouchy, often from street castingsóon the runways. In menswear, the casting can be a bigger trend than fashion itself, and that is very unique.

DB Is styling a man similar to styling a woman?
CR
For me, itís very different. When I style a woman I think about what I would wear. But when I style menís clothes I have to dream about someone else.

DB So tell me: Who are some of the most stylish men you know?
CR
I am a very lucky woman because I am surrounded by very stylish men: my husband and my son, for example. But for me, to be truly stylish, a man must look cool at all timesówhen theyíre in a tuxedo or walking down the street, when theyíre with their children or in a supermarket. A stylish man never looks ridiculous.

DB Never?
CR
Yes. The true test of a manís style is the haircut. There are some men who look good no matter how their hair is styled, whether itís trendy or not. A man can change his haircut many times, but to pull off any haircut you have to be very chic. Like Brad Pitt.

DB OK, besides Brad, do you have any favorite male style icon of all time?
CR
I donít have favorites. But I like men who have their own unique looks, and donít copy anyone else. These are often the same men who are copied by other people, like Serge Gainsbourg.

DB How would you dress if you were a man?
CR
Itís difficult to answer that because Iím always wearing skirts! But if I had to think about it, Iíd probably wear a combination of Tom Ford, some pieces from Riccardo [Tisci for Givenchy], and some very classic pieces from HermŤs. And oh, Iíd always add a little piece of Rick Owens. Thatís very important.

DB How should a real mean approach his wardrobe in daily life?
CR
I like the word ďnonchalance.Ē I donít like things that look brand new. Cashmere thatís worn in and a little bit destroyed, or boots that have been worn for years.

DB Off the top of your head, what must be in a manís closet?
CR
Itís okay for a man to spend more because their clothes last longer. So, if you want to buy a new suit or a new pair of jeans, it should look like something that would already own and will wear for a long time. I think that after things have been a little bit destroyed they become beautiful.

DB What do you think should not be in a manís closet?
CR
You know Iím not a person who would ever say no, no, no to something. What I will say is this: If youíre ever worried about whether or not you are chic, go classic. When in doubt, wear a suit. Look at male politicians: You see them in a suit and they look fine. But if you see a picture of them on the weekend or on vacation, thereís a good chance they look terrible and unstylish. The uniform of a suit and tie can be very helpful.

DB Do men have it easier when it comes to getting dressed?
CR
Yes. Much easier.

DB But is it more boring?
CR
Not necessarily. Less choice makes it easier, but not less fun. It ultimately depends on what you put on, which is the same for a woman. But I will say this, itís much easier to pack and travel as a man. You can wear the same tuxedo four nights in a row if you clean the shirt. A woman needs to change jackets, change shoes. A man can acquire quality pieces and wear them forever, which is very convenient. Those are the sorts of clothes I was drawn to in this issue.

DB Are you a fan of French men? Which country do you think has the best style?
CR
I prefer the style of the English man because they like the shape of the body: they tailor garments to have a shoulder and a waist. I love Saville Row in London. The English dress for lunch, for dinner, for breakfast and for teatime, and then thereís a whole other wardrobe for what to wear in the country. They are both eccentric and classic at the same time.

DB What do you think of American style?
CR
For the most part, Americans are about being comfortable and easy. They donít try very hard. Itís where we get the jeans and the T-shirt, which I love. Jeans can be sexy, but theyíre very simple. I donít think fashion is a priority in the life of an American, and I donít think thatís a bad thing. Fashion doesnít have to be everything.

DB I thought youíd like men who donít make fashion a priority.
CR
I do. Look at someone like Steve Jobs. His look wasnít very specialóblack turtleneck and jeansóbut he had style. He looked the same, and you knew it was him when you saw him. Plus he was a very smart person, which is also very attractive. His style was simple, not distracting, and very strong.

DB Phew! I was nervous you thought all Americans were unstylish and lazy.
CR
Oh no, I like many of Americaís subcultures. For example, I actually love the ďrappers look,Ē with the saggy pants and oversized clothes. Itís very deliberate. But then again, perhaps all the ultra large clothes stem from that American desire to be comfortable and easy too. I donít know.

DB I trust you liked the boys in the issue too.
CR
I dreamt of making an issue with no male models, full of men with real style and perspective. So now I have a new address book with all the new people I met putting the issue together! This has been a rejuvenation for me, and in fashion that is a very good thing. These are real men with real points of view. These are not Ken dolls looking for Barbies.

DB I can report that everyone loved working with you too. You know, we really should do that dinner party with everyone in the issue.
CR
It would be my perfect party! Smart, handsome men, and then the Victoriaís Secret girls would be like a batch of flowers on the table.

DB Handsome boys and gorgeous girlsÖI like your perspective on menís fashion.
CR
Menís fashion can be difficult, but when a man has a good style he can do anything he wants. I think this issue will be a dream for the reader.
vman.com

(IT'S GOING DOWN
ô)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

09-02-2012
Vogue Paris Intern

Carine in Givenchy at the amFAR gala. Terrible look in my opinion!

style.com / vogue.com

Last edited by FrenchCactus; 09-02-2012 at 10:33 PM.

10-02-2012
V.I.P.

Carine at amfAR gala with Terry Richardson, Linda Evangelista & Sky Ferreira

terrysdiary

Last edited by tarsha; 10-02-2012 at 11:31 AM.

12-02-2012
Some Like It Hot

At Alexander Wang F/W 12.13

*Vogue.co.uk

12-02-2012
V.I.P.

Why does she wear these glasses, why?

nymag

Fashion: Donít you recognize me? Death: You should know that I donít see very well and I canít wear glasses. Fashion: Iím Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, ďDialogue Between Fashion and Death.Ēabridged

12-02-2012
fashion elite

is that a fur letterman jacket?! that's badass! i hope it's fake but it probly isnt...

12-02-2012
Vogue Paris Intern

^ I love her fur jacket!
And Julia borrowed Carine's boots at Wang, how sweet!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, 2013, carine, roitfeld