How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Fashion Pack
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-06-2009
V.I.P.

Derek Blasberg
Can someone please explain who this guy is and why he appears to be hanging on to every famous female celebrity on the planet? I read one magazine compared him to a modern day Truman Capote but I know he only writes freelance stuff, I guess they are referring to all his women he hangs around?

What's the deal with this guy...why is he everywhere?

04-06-2009
cyd
front row

Here's what I found on Google....

"Derek Blasberg was born in St. Louis, Missouri. He moved to New York City to study Dramatic Literature and Journalism at New York University, from which he graduated with honors in 2004. His first job after university was working as an assistant as American Vogue, which he did for one year. Specializing in fashion, art and society, Blasberg is now the Senior Fashion News and Special Projects Editor at V and VMAN Magazines, a contributing editor to style.com, and a contributing editor to several of the international editions of Vogue magazine. He also routinely writes for additional publications, most often for Interview, 10magazine and the London Sunday Times. He is based in New York City."
from derekblasberg.com

Gawker.com article:
Yesterday, after we referred to man-about-town/Genevieve Jones arm candy Derek Blasberg as a "writer" as we wondered, for the millionth time, whether he was behind Socialite Rank, we were greeted by some righteous indignation from one of his hometown homies, a classmate of the 24-year-old Blasberg's from his days at Affton High School in St. Louis. This classmate informed us that Derek should actually be referred to as a bona-fide writer—no quotes necessary!—because of some stuff he's written for Russian Vogue and the Sunday Times of London. Okay, point taken. He's a writer, not a "writer"! But the email piqued our interest in other ways. How did this pretty boy from St. Louis weasel and wangle his way into the hearts of the Tinz and the photos of Patrick McMullan? Is Derek Blasberg the Truman Capote to Genevieve Jones' Holly Golightly? Our overly detailed conclusions after the jump.

But first, some selections from his classmate's email:
I feel bad that everyone just sees him as some party boy (he wasn't snobby to me in high school—and I had bad acne); in fact it's funny that he's New York socialite armcandy at all now—he drove a flossy teal Suburban his senior year of high school. He's an actual writer guys. Besides, what's more dodgy isn't his (so far) light literary weight; I've got better stuff from our lovely public school days in Missouri (class of 2000, baby!): those dandy ItBoy pics conceal his jock days on the high school swim team (I got pics of him in a Speedo), and when he was captain of the men's volleyball team. Oh yeah, and played the part of Dill in a moving production of 'To Kill a Mockingbird'.
We think "moving" means "touring," but in any case, we're intrigued. We always assumed that people like Derek Blasberg simply emerged, fully formed, onto whatever "scene" it is they've infiltrated. But what becomes clear after a little Nexising is that Blasberg's ingratiation, and initiation, into the scene came at a tender age, as the result of what seems to be some very calculated moves. Consider:

He went to NYU and majored in journalism and dramatic literature, but also wrote a fashion column for the NYU paper Washington Square News, which got him mentioned in WWD for his coverage of fashion shows from Milan. He got fired from WSN after getting into a fight with the lifestyle editor over the direction of his coverage. He also interned at WWD sister publication W while in college.
After graduation, he worked for a few months as assistant to Vogue managing editor Laurie Kane, but quit around February 2005. While at Vogue, he came between Proenza Schouler boys Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez, which reportedly earned him the ire of Anna Wintour. Still, he told Lloyd Grove, "I had decided to leave Vogue before any item ran in any paper, so I don't think false gossip would affect content in the magazine."
In April of that year, his 23rd birthday party was covered by an item in Page Six that reported on guests including Fabian Basabe, Tara Subkoff, John Mayer, Erin Wasson, Jacquetta Wheeler, the Earl of Mornington and Jaime Johnson, and that host Evan Yurman (son of jeweler David Yurman) had to get everyone to leave by mentioning that he owned a shotgun.
By the following year, he'd made it to enough parties that he'd earned a mention in Peter Davis' infamous Sunday Styles piece about male socialites, which neglected to mention that one of the article's subjects, Giorgio Armani exec Christian Leone, had dated Davis. Blasberg was quoted as saying, "One minute I'm a poor Midwestern student; the next I'm seated between George Clooney and Lindsay Lohan at Bungalow 8.'' Another Page Six item that month noted Blasberg's 24th birthday party: "While we're not quite sure what Blasberg actually does, his 24th-birthday party on Friday drew Lindsay Lohan, Karolina Kurkova, Damon Dash, Margherita Missoni, Jessica Stam, Jefferson Hack and Jacquetta Wheeler." (Blasberg also wrote about Wheeler's grandfather's house in Tangier for the Times of London.)
In the WSJ's notorious front-pager on Genevieve Jones: "Derek Blasberg, a 24-year-old free-lance fashion journalist whom she calls her best friend, says he sometimes pushes her toward work and studies. On her behalf, he gathered applications to fashion schools. "But she won't fill them out," he says. "I would just like her to do so much more with her life.""
He told the Observer that he was going to India for a month on Nov. 28, so therefore he couldn't possibly be behind Socialite Rank—but was photographed by Patrick McMullan at events in New York on Dec. 7, 8, 9, 12, and 14. Just, you know, saying.
There you have it, folks. A chronicle of a young man just trying to make it in this cruel world, surrounding himself with beautiful women, expensive clothes, and camera flashes. Really, we can't blame him. [N.B.: If we ever get those Speedo pics, we'll post them immediately.]
http://gawker.com/news/top/field-guide-derek-blasberg-224881.php

04-06-2009
V.I.P.

His ascendancy to the top still seems weird to me...I thought celebrities were more cautious about the company they keep...especially the Olsen twins.

04-06-2009
Making a Mess

He also writes a blog for style.com. Funny how he wound back up working for Vogue.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUXXX View Post
Can someone please explain who this guy is and why he appears to be hanging on to every famous female celebrity on the planet? I read one magazine compared him to a modern day Truman Capote but I know he only writes freelance stuff, I guess they are referring to all his women he hangs around?

What's the deal with this guy...why is he everywhere?
I would like to find that journalist that compared him to Truman Capote, lock him in my basement and make him read the complete works of Truman Capote because obviously he/she is an idiot.
Capote was a writer of astounding brilliance. He ascended to a position where he was friends with Elizabeth Taylor and Jackie O. etc. because of his success as a real artist. It was they that flocked to him.
This Blasberg guy seems to excel at nothing so much as getting his picture taken with successful people and socialites. I don't care who he was seated next to at Bungalow 8, 9, or 10 or how many "articles" he's written for style.com; you can put horse shoes on a donkey but it's still a donkey.

Last edited by meens; 09-06-2009 at 05:22 AM.
11-06-2009
Fly my pretties... Fly!

In addition, he also has a well-informed and entertaining twitter account: http://twitter.com/dizzyblazeberg

11-06-2009
rising star

socialite or not, I quite like him and his writing

Fly my pretties... Fly!

...above all, Derek is chic and stylish!

men.style.com

24-12-2009
trendsetter

whaaaat! good for him, i guess. i mean, his whole popularity within the ny it crowd kind of puts me off but not enough to ignore the fact that he does have a good CV when it comes to journalism. and his twitter is very entertaining as well

21-05-2010
V.I.P.

Meet the Chanel Ambassadors

I like him, he's cool

style

21-05-2010
front row

haha the end of that video was epic

21-05-2010
V.I.P.

^Indeed. He seems really sweet.

22-05-2010
V.I.P.

After reading his recent interview with Fashionista, I understand him better. It gave him more depth and I admire his hustle...

http://fashionista.com/2010/05/life-...erek-blasberg/

22-05-2010
fashion icon

I quite like him, obviously he is a good journalist if he can become editor-at-large of style.com, it does take talent to helm something like this.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
blasberg, derek