How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Fashion Pack
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-02-2013
rising star

Designers and their Personal Style
Do you ever feel surprised when you see the designer after a show dressed in plain black trousers and tops? I seem to always be taken aback by this, because in my mind, the creator of beautiful clothes will be dressed in interesting clothes, but what i mostly see is the opposite.
Why do you think that happens? Is there an agenda behind it or is it their personality? Is it because they dont want to attract attention by what they wear, just by what they create? Maybe its because they actually work and get stressed out behind the catwalk so maybe they want their clothes to be confortable?
Of course there are exceptions to this, but i think this hapens too much in order for me to ignore it. Im really interested in how you feel about this topic.
Here are some of my favourites to illustrate what im talking about:

all images from style.com

Last edited by ssgghh; 17-02-2013 at 03:58 PM.

18-02-2013
tfs star

Maybe they do it to keep the attention on their new collection rather than what they are wearing presently? Or maybe they are just too exhausted during FW to actually pick out their own outfit haha (black with black is always a safe bet)

18-02-2013
tfs star

I find it ironic as well when I see designers who don't really dress up and tend to be safe, also the same when I see hairdressers with horrible hair haha. However Victoria Beckham, Stella McCartney,Karl Lagerfeld those who are more in the public eye tend to reflect their brand or put some effort in their style.

18-02-2013
Some Like It Hot

I think since they're at work that is their workwear which tends to be a reflection on many peoples workwear, lots of black and more practical pieces.

I've always felt that the one designer who always makes an effort to reflect the collections in what they wear is Frida Giannini, without fail she will always wear a more toned down look when she takes her bow.

Stella always continues her relaxed attitude to dressing which always reflects impeccably with her brand so I can never fault her outfits on the catwalk nor in her day to day street style.

Three of the best dressed male designers has to Tom Ford, Peter Dundas and Stefano Pilati, all three are the epitome of style.

rising star

Maybe its a case of cobbler's children having no shoes?

20-02-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjamesdean View Post
I find it ironic as well when I see designers who don't really dress up and tend to be safe, also the same when I see hairdressers with horrible hair haha. However Victoria Beckham, Stella McCartney,Karl Lagerfeld those who are more in the public eye tend to reflect their brand or put some effort in their style.
Lol I know exactly what your saying, I am a hairdresser and I hate getting my hair done, I mean hate. I love how I look when it does get done but after working 12 hr days standing on my feet all day the last thing I want to do is stick around to get MY hair done, Im on the first thing smoking outta there when my last client is done, my hair is usually in a ponytail

Last edited by high maintenance; 20-02-2013 at 11:06 PM.
04-03-2013
fashion insider

I agree with the OP, it is disappointing to see a designer dressed badly/boring at their own show and it happens a lot . That said, I liked what Lee Roach & Rad Hourani were wearing this season, still black and white but their outfits look like they could be part of the collection and I want to wear them myself

vogue.co.uk / nowfashion

10-03-2013
Alluring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanelcouture09 View Post
I've always felt that the one designer who always makes an effort to reflect the collections in what they wear is Frida Giannini, without fail she will always wear a more toned down look when she takes her bow.
I would also mention Miuccia Prada, she stays loyal to her own designs and makes them her own. I'm always excited to see what piece she'd be wearing in the finale, like the Miu Miu F/W 09 embellished socks at the S/S 10 Prada show.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
designers, personal, style