How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Fashion Pack
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

13-04-2009
Swim Upstream

Ok....I think all the Vogue FR Girls wear a uniform of Balmain/Rick Owens...I think their approach quite unimaginative especially given the way in which they wear their uniforms - i.e almost exactly the same as shown on the runway. I think they wear their clothes in an arrogant and elitist way....almost simply done to intimidate other women ***Edited*** . Its like an arrogant armour they all wear designed, partly I suspect, to set them apart and to make them unattainable by normal women. The overtness of Balmain is, I find, somewhat vulgar.....as is the price......and I don't enjoy that side of fashion....its as vulgar as wearing a price tag on your sleeve imho.

...And I am certainly not jealous....

Last edited by BetteT; 13-04-2009 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Please see Community rules re: weight talk.

13-04-2009
front row

Im jealous!

13-04-2009
windowshopping

Helena, do you mind me asking why you visit this thread if you feel that way? I understand what you're saying and of course, you are completely entitled to think whatever you like about anyone's personal style, but why would you spend time on a thread dedicated to discussing that person - especially when most people who visit this thread and those of the other VP girls, mostly LOVE their style?

13-04-2009
fashion insider

Quote:
Ok....I think all the Vogue FR Girls wear a uniform of Balmain/Rick Owens...I think their approach quite unimaginative especially given the way in which they wear their uniforms - i.e almost exactly the same as shown on the runway. I think they wear their clothes in an arrogant and elitist way....almost simply done to intimidate other women because their bodies are so tall and so skinny. Its like an arrogant armour they all wear designed, partly I suspect, to set them apart and to make them unattainable by normal women. The overtness of Balmain is, I find, somewhat vulgar.....as is the price......and I don't enjoy that side of fashion....its as vulgar as wearing a price tag on your sleeve imho.
I don't really feel that. Emanuelle certainly is going all out Balmain right now, but Geraldine and Melanie certainly aren't overtly supporting one brand. They both have very classic style and although they do own trendy pieces, they aren't constantly sporting the "IT" pieces of the season. Geraldine's style is really understated, quiet, but always chic.

13-04-2009
windowshopping

She's gorgeous!

13-04-2009
trendsetter

yes Geraldine even wears Ksubi jeans and tops from the gap. Of course they wear key balmain looks to the show and who wouldn't? They are lucky to have the bodies/bank balances to be able to afford this and I most certainly would wear it all should I have the chance too. Not saying I don't understand what you mean on a level Helena but I don't agree. We only see them photographed at big shows where of course they are wearing the key pieces - not every day at the office. Emanuelle also wears quite a bit of top shop and often old t shirts that she can't even remember where she got them - how is that arrogant and elitist? I also think Balmain suits them so very well, so why would they not embrace that? and Rick Owens leather jackets are INCREDIBLE. theres no way you wouldn't wear one if you could. (not YOU personally just people in general)

13-04-2009
fashion icon

I LOVE the VP girls but I don't mind Helena posting here. Her view is quite interesting.. People don't have to post only positive comments But only Emmanuelle wears a lot of Balmain (maybe a bit too much yes). But IMO the rest of VP don't fit into your discription. Not Carine, Melanie, Geraldine etc..

Last edited by MissyJG; 13-04-2009 at 11:33 PM.

13-04-2009
trendsetter

MissyJG - i agree, and dont mind Helena posting either, was just giving my opinion

14-04-2009
Swim Upstream

Thanks for your thoughts.... Maybe I am being harsh on this girl so I'll go back and lookbat some more of the thread to see her other clothes. However I still think there is a tribal look amoungst there vogue Paris girls.....and of course if you are rich and skinny, One view of the world is why not (not my view but hey we're all different) ......but I think there is an element of aggressive flaunting what others do not have...... I think it's mainly because they all kind of look the same (some variations accepted).

.....and I have a black leather rick Owens jacket and I am not fat......just feel sorry for girls looking at these pics and feeling inadequate because they can neither afford it nor fit it. But then, vogue Paris doesn't owe any duty to be the face of attainability to anyone......

Thanks

14-04-2009
Frozen irony.

Great to have a different view Helena!

The people that crave a certain Balmain piece because they have seen it on the VP girls are really not much better than those who look at celebs and go to buy it.. they are just buying into a 'fantasy' they are really not promoting a personal style I feel.

But then again, that is not their job, I do however love how Emmanuelle wears her clothing she really has always had a rock edge about her.

14-04-2009
Swim Upstream

thanks Pucci Mama....I doesn't mean to be mean to this girl....she is very lovely...I suppose its the whole obsession with emulating the tribe that gets to me....

14-04-2009
a hymn to darkness

^ Agreed. I think the Paris Vogue women are fine. They've been doing this look for yrs, in fact. However, the blind devotion to these women is a bit disturbing. I suppose it's always been this way. It used to be much more celeb-oriented. I guess ppl. are now breaking their necks to keep up with ppl. who actually have personal style.

I just don't understand what inclines one to want what everyone has? Is it a power thing? Do ppl. feel important when they have the same Balmain jckt. as Emmanuelle or the same Alaia's as Carine? It's kinda ptless b/c both will being sporting the newest of the new weeks, sometimes days, later. It's inevitable. And then the followers are back to square one; they've got to get that item now as well.

There is something so uplifting about creating your own 'look'. Inspiration is everywhere, obviously, but copying the personal style of another person is so... depressing, really...

But it's all subjective... but it must be tiring to keep up with all of it.

14-04-2009
tfs star

I loved Helena´s and wheneveriwakeup comments. I love to look at pictures of well dressed women, like everybody. But sometimes I feel like there´s a pressure to keep up, even with such unattainable standarts. Carine, Géraldine, Emmanuelle are in a way like cartoon caracters to me. They´re amusing to look at, but I cannot fall into the trap of "believing" their look can be a part of my real pedestrian life.

I like to be inspired, sometimes by a face, a body, a piece of wardrobe (cheap or expensive, new or vintage). I don´t like to be told what is in and what is out.
These women don´t preach explicitly, but the media portrays these women as THE popes of fashion. The trick is, I think, not to be too serious about fashion, and have fun with it, express oneself, explore new silhouetes, new garments even if I thought I never would wear this or that.

Great inputs helena, karma! Love to read you.

Last edited by newprincesita; 14-04-2009 at 04:10 PM.

14-04-2009
fashion insider

I agree with Helena, I actually stopped visiting Alt's thread because she is starting to look like a Balmain shop mannequin, thats not fashion, thats sponsorship, I just wish Geraldine ,as the younger generation, maintains a little bit of her individuality, I actually prefer her style to to the other Vogue Girls.

14-04-2009
Swim Upstream

yes les sucettes...like i said originally they need to get over it....

someone at Balmain is laughing all the way to the Bank.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2007, 2011, december, géraldine, saglio, september