How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Fashion Pack
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-08-2005
backstage pass

I have not heard of her before now. She has great style! Even pregnant--looking fabulous!

16-08-2005
V.I.P.

yeah! she's great

16-08-2005
windowshopping

hey anaisf - that'd be unreal! I've been looking for AGES for that vogue spread!

I can't post cause I have no idea how to! am completely clueless!
wireimage also has some recent pics of her - and brunopress.nl is another good one for celeb images

16-08-2005
windowshopping

thanks anaisf - that'd be unreal if you could. I've been searching for that mag for AGES! Which issue is it?
I can't post pics cause I have no idea how to! I'm so clueless.
A couple of other sites for great celeb pics are wireimage.com and brunopress.nl.
happy searching x

16-08-2005
windowshopping

right - seems I'm also clueless on how to use these damn forums! Apologies for the double-up. it didn't appear to work the first time.

17-08-2005
tfs star

Pics that accompany the travel article (hello magazine):

17-08-2005
V.I.P.

I love that there are other fans of Laura on this site, seeing as she isn't very famous.
Some random photos...

www.cover.es

www.olycom.it (thanks for the link blondebella)
And in the attrachment, www.mediumphoto.com

17-08-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebella
thanks anaisf - that'd be unreal if you could. I've been searching for that mag for AGES! Which issue is it?
I can't post pics cause I have no idea how to! I'm so clueless.
A couple of other sites for great celeb pics are wireimage.com and brunopress.nl.
happy searching x
Iíll go look for it in a minute. I hope itís the one youíre after, and if not, sorry!

Thanks for all the new pics! I love her on her motorbike!

18-08-2005
windowshopping

interview
found this recent interview with her for the fans
Laura Bailey has clearly never read those warning diatribes from disillusioned superwomen who claim it's impossible to have it all. So far, she seems to be making a pretty good job of it: she's got two glamorous careers running in parallel as an international model cum globetrotting travel writer; a multimillionaire partner, absurdly successful producer Eric Fellner (the other half of Working Title Films with Tim Bevan), and now a three-month-old son, Luc. In fact, she is juggling her life so successfully that it's easy to forget she has a new baby. Sometimes, she confesses, she forgets, too.

On the day Luc was born at 3am, she took Fellner out for a sandwich a deux at a cafe near the hospital 'I hate feeling cooped up,' she explains. Three weeks later, she was back down to a size eight and celebrating at the Evening Standard British Film Awards.

'A friend told me I'd be back to my normal dress size within a week or two,' she says casually.

'I laughed at her, but she was right. I barely looked in the mirror and when I did it was, oh yeah, back to normal. It wasn't really an issue.' She drags the orange Celine dress she has been wearing over her blonde ringlets, offering a confirmatory glimpse of smooth, perfectly flat, tanned tummy as she does so, and flings on her own outfit, a rather eccentric ensemble of electric green Ghost sundress over a black turtleneck jumper. Firmly, she switches off her mobile phone. What if there's a baby emergency?

'I'm sure Luc's having a perfectly lovely time in the park,' she says briskly. 'Much nicer for him than being cooped up in here with a lot of strangers. It's not like I can't breathe without him.' There would be something a little unnerving about such insouciance if one didn't suspect it was a facade masking Laura's intense desire for privacy. I bet she's a mass of new-mother jitters, but she's got no intention of revealing anything so personal. 'I'd like to be much more mysterious and enigmatic than I actually am,' she says, sighing. 'I relish the thought of no pictures, no nothing' It's a strange position for a model to take but then Laura has never been a run-of-the-mill clotheshorse.
She first hit fame in 1994 when she was spotted climbing over a wall at Richard Gere's London home. She was 22 and he was 45 and still ostensibly happily married to Cindy Crawford.

From being a relatively obscure model, working for Italian Glamour magazine and appearing in Primal Scream videos, Laura was catapulted on to front pages all over the world. The relationship fizzled out, but ten years later she's still top of the tree; she was the face of Jaeger and Helena Rubinstein last year, and is working for Clairol now. 'But I'm not going to give you a list of my clients,' she says. Why not? 'It's too tacky.' It's an attitude that reflects her academic upbringing. Laura is the daughter of Gwen, a lawyer, and Professor Peter Birks, the late Regius Professor of Civil Law at the University of Oxford and Fellow of All Souls.

She was brought up with her brother Ben in a rambling country house in the Oxfordshire village of Wheatley and her early childhood seems to have been a Blyton-esque idyll. 'I wanted to be an astronomer,' she recalls. 'I was obsessed with space, I used to rush out to look at the stars.' But when she was five years old, her parents divorced doubtless with some bitterness, since her father didn't mention his first family in his Who's Who entry.

It was clearly devastating for Laura, to such a degree that she now shies away from any discussion of her childhood. 'When your absolute hero your father doesn't come back, it's really frightening, whatever age you are,' she once said.

Was it an enjoyable childhood? A long pause.

'Yeah' she says reluctantly. 'I definitely had fun, I had wonderful friends and a big extended family. I've got lots of steps and halves.' Did they get on? 'I don't think anyone can ever generalise with a very complicated situation involving three families. You can't say we all got on but, in the end, things all work out. Having a child of my own, I realise that everybody did their best at the time,' she says.

After attending the local comprehensive where, as well as being top of the class, she was a 'seriously violent' hockey player (she still has the scars on her shins to prove it), she went to Southampton University where she got a first in English (special subject: images of women in Victorian art and poetry).

When she graduated, she was planning a career in academia, the theatre or journalism, but was spotted by a model agent walking down the King's Road and signed up for what she thought would be a lucrative summer job.

To her surprise, she found that modelling was not only good money but that she enjoyed it. She still does, she says. 'I love the collaboration and the relationships with stylists and makeup people. I'm not that interested in seeing any more pictures of myself ever again but I do enjoy the process, the dressing-up game of it all, and I genuinely love fashion and telling a story.

It's certainly not like, oh God, another boring day in the studio' Her family, so the story goes, were not nearly so accepting of her decision.

It's widely believed that the coolness between Laura and her father stemmed from her chosen career, a lifestyle choice he despised.

'The day that Laura went into modelling was the saddest day of my life,' he announced.

'That's completely misinterpreted,' says Laura uncomfortably, but won't say more as her father died of cancer last summer and the family's wounds are still fresh.

She has admitted that her parents' divorce is 'probably a huge part of all the relationships I have had with men'. And when she met Richard Gere, then twice her age, at a party in honour of the Dalai Lama, the attraction was immediate.

What Laura didn't expect was the massive press interest. 'It was very weird.

I was relatively naive; but I knew who he was and the hassle he had had in his life. But it was bloody annoying at the time. I'm sure my phone was tapped.' She shudders. 'Ugh!' Almost as annoying was being catapulted to fame as a film star's arm candy. 'I'm ruthlessly independent and the idea of being labelled as somebody's girlfriend, especially when I was young and trying to do my own work, was anathema to me.' So she left London for New York 'It made sense to get out of the goldfish bowl.' She rented an apartment in a brownstone in the West Village, hung out with Sophie Dahl, rode her fleamarket bike to photographers' studios and 'somewhere backwards and forwards between London and New York' met the forty-something Fellner.

Talk of her 'boyfriend' brings her jitters to the fore again. Laura never mentions his name, as though this might somehow preserve the mystery of his identity. They have been together for several years, certainly since she moved back to London four years ago. At first Laura lived in her own Notting Hill flat; she's now moved in with Fellner but otherwise it seems that having a child has had no effect on her reluctance to be seen as someone's appendage.

She calls herself an 'independent working girl with a mortgage', which is curious given she's just had a baby by a multimillionaire. Isn't he supporting her at all? 'No!' she says, highly indignant, adding hastily, 'It's just the way I am.

I've always worked, it's the way I like it.' Friends hint that the couple's relationship has been stormy in the past. But Laura says, 'I'm happier than I've ever been, and I'm not leaving him, put it that way.' Would she consider marrying? She bursts into roars of embarrassed laughter. 'Oh God, I can't bear the idea of my boyfriend seeing this in print. He hasn't asked me, absolutely not. God. To be honest, I would consider it, yes, but am I sitting waiting to be asked, no.' Given the traumas of her own upbringing, she must be concerned not to inflict a broken home on her own son. 'I'm sure that's true of absolutely everybody who ever has a baby, not just a child from a broken family. Nobody has a child without hoping that more than anything. But I know there are no guarantees. I'm amazed at how natural motherhood is, and how vulnerable and tough Luc seems at the same time. I'm really trying not to worry if things go wrong,' she says.

Perhaps it's a trick of the light, but her saucer eyes seem to fill up at this point. 'I'm not overly maternal or an emotional touchy-feely person, but I'm a complete mess at the moment.

My friends say they definitely prefer me as a mother to before. I don't know whether they thought I was some selfish career bitch but I think they feel I've mellowed.' Still, she says, she's anything but an earth mother.

'I'm not going to stay at home and cuddle and breastfeed and wear my smock,' she says. 'I'm keen to keep travelling and having adventures, and take Luc along for the ride.

Having been grounded at the end of my pregnancy, I'm restless to travel with him. I know that will make me a better mother.' But her real ambition is to move on from modelling into novel writing. 'I've written one chaotic chapter, but I've got to get beyond that. I try to write for four hours before lunch. In some ways, I'm extremely disciplined. I work really hard and I'm very organised beneath the surface chaos. But now I have to make decisions about priorities and Luc comes first. So I'm lucky if I get to return my emails at the end of the day.' She grins with sudden glee: it's obvious Laura Bailey isn't going to waste her second chance of family happiness.

18-08-2005
V.I.P.

^Thanks very much, interesting article.

18-08-2005
V.I.P.

An older interview, from the Telegaph (website)
The secrets of my model life

Laura Bailey graduated with a First in English Literature but eschewed academia for the frivolous world of fashion. From Saturday, she joins The Daily Telegraph as a beauty columnist, but here, she reveals why modelling has been so fulfilling and shares her style tips

MODELLING was not my dream, but it became my dream life. I left Southampton University in 1995 with a First in English Literature, nursing hopes of becoming a writer. But, in many ways, I have learnt more in six years of modelling than I would ever have learnt had I continued in academia or if I had entered the literary world.

Model student: Laura was amused to learn that pictures of her on a Milan catwalk were pinned up at her old university, with a note saying 'Look what a First from Southampton can do for you'I was 21 and had just graduated when I was discovered on the King's Road, Chelsea, by an agent for Models 1. At the time, I still considered myself to be a student and was desperately trying to make up my mind about what to do next.

While auditioning for fringe theatre in London, I was working behind the bar at the Chelsea Arts Club. I had grown up in a village near Oxford, so the capital filled me with the wide-eyed awe you'd expect of a true country girl.

A schoolfriend dared me to take up the invitation to visit Models 1, but when I reached the agency, I felt ridiculous because everyone was staring at me. Polaroids were taken, and I remember gazing up at pictures of Yasmin Le Bon and Jerry Hall and thinking they were from a different planet.

By some miracle, a week later, I had my first job modelling - stripes and denim for the teen magazine Looks. Shoots for The Face and Dazed & Confused followed, and I worried about being late for my bar shifts. But as I started enjoying my new work, it was soon clear that my evenings spent making Bloody Marys and BLTs were numbered. Without taking modelling too seriously, I decided to give it six months and try to make some money.

During those months, I went to Mauritius for Tatler, Morocco for Marie-Claire and Paris for Italian Vogue. Slowly, I began to realise that modelling might be more than just a holiday job. I rented a house with some friends in Regent's Park, and suddenly my life was revolving around telephone calls from my agent, long waits at airports and snatched meetings with friends between trips - a world away from my student days.

As the daughter of an Oxford don and a lawyer, I have academia in my genes - so there were rumblings of disapproval from my parents about my choice of career. But I have never felt unsupported or had any sense of failure projected upon me. Living and working in New York for the past five years, however, has tested relations, as I have a complicated extended family. But my gypsy lifestyle has, if anything, strengthened my bond with my "chosen family" of trusted friends, who provide the foundations for a somewhat unstable life.

I was, at first, amazed by the glamour and sophistication of my fellow models and pleasantly surprised by the camaraderie among the girls, especially on trips. Although most of my closest friends in the business actually work behind the camera, there is little of the bitchy back-stabbing one reads about, and, as I spend so much time on the road, I'm always happy to run into old friends such as Sophie Dahl - whether backstage at a Paris catwalk show or at a pub around the corner from my flat.

I have much less in common with models who start out in their teens, but many of the girls I work with are juggling multiple careers and, like me, are grateful to be modelling rather than waitressing while they audition, make jewellery, paint or empire-build a la Cindy Crawford or Christy Turlington.

My school and university friends found work in advertising, teaching and television - and I suspect my career on the catwalk made a few of them suspicious for a while.

But, as they couldn't for a second imagine me as an anorexic drug addict and soon started inviting themselves on my modelling trips overseas, I think I was forgiven fast. They know that my life does not just consist of limo rides from catwalk to premiere (though they are the first to ask for tickets or gossip), and I don't think they really care what I do for a living, as long as I'm happy.

I was a shy teenager, certainly not confident about how I looked, but I didn't care too much, either. Uncool as it sounds, I loved school and, at 15, I was more suited to the hockey pitch and the local disco than to a Paris catwalk. My interest in fashion stretched no further than having the occasional quick flick through my mother's stacks of Vogue.

Although my university tutors had hoped I would go on to do an MA, I never felt pressured to stay in academia and they have followed my progress with interest. I was amused to hear from a fellow student that pictures of me on a Milan catwalk had been pinned to the English literature department's noticeboard, with a note saying, "Look what a First from Southampton can do for you".

I'm not sure exactly what an arts degree prepares you for, but I know it's not the modelling business. Yet writing last-minute, caffeine-fuelled essays at university was good training for juggling modelling jobs in limited time, and I have probably also learnt discipline from doing lone research, not to mention how to mix a mean cocktail and snooze undetected in lectures.

Even so, I emerged from university severely lacking any financial acumen, and have only organised my money properly since I bought my first flat in June.

Modelling can be very lonely - I know girls who become terribly homesick or boy-sick on trips. But I have always enjoyed a solo adventure, be it to the East End or to India. I have travelled to places I hadn't even heard of at college and, over the past six years, I have discovered a more confident, show-off side to my character that I wouldn't have found otherwise.

Yes, of course I have heard all the stereotypical jokes about blonde models, but I don't feel under any pressure to prove myself. My work speaks for itself, and I know it takes more than a degree or a pretty face to build a career.

University was the right place for me at the time, and not just in terms of qualifications. I grew up, lived with friends for the first time and worked and laughed like crazy. But I am a great believer in informal as well as formal education - many of my friends have never been near a further education institution.

If I ever have a daughter, I wonder how I'd advise her, should she one day threaten to flee university and run off to Paris. I could hardly refuse to allow her to model, although I would pray that her real confidence came from her brains and not her body. But I look back with no regrets.

Who is your favourite designer?

Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel. The samples fit me like couture and each piece is a mood-altering instant classic. I'm also a fan of Bella Freud for her quirky English style and Luella Bartley for everyday funky rock chic gear. I would love absolutely anything from Balenciaga in my dreams.

What is your favourite look this autumn?

Romantic hippy chic with a touch of Victoriana - a little lace and a high neck, sexed up with killer boots and the shortest skirt.

What are your key accessories this season?

Chunky belts and Russian-style fake fur hats and collars - Anna Karenina goes to war.

Which is your favourite glossy magazine?

I devour Vogue. I love Dazed & Confused and I read The Fashion for style that's a bit more off the beaten track.

Which is your favourite outfit of all time?

A long, grey evening dress that Chanel lent to me for the Cannes Film Festival this year.

Which is your favourite pair of shoes?

My favourites this year are my Prada alligator stilettos and my old pink Converse All Stars.

Which is your favourite high street store?

Topshop, for a fast cheap fix. It is always a good stop for accessories, underwear and the latest looks, without breaking the bank.

Where in the world do you prefer to shop?

I like shopping at Portobello Market, Rellik on Golborne Road and Something on Chepstow Road in London for vintage treasures. In New York, I love Marc Jacobs, Katayone Adeli and the boutiques on Elizabeth Street. I go to Paris for books and to window shop everywhere from Chloe to Cacharel.

Who does your hair?

Belle Cannon and Josh Wood at Real in Chelsea.

Which beauty products do you refuse to leave home without?

Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat (a brush-on, brightening concealer) which gives the illusion of a good night's sleep, and MAC Lipglass for kissable lips.

If your wardrobe had to be limited to 10 items, what would they be?

Marc Jacobs jeans, a little black dress from Chanel, Nike Air trainers, a white Gap T-shirt, Agent Provocateur underwear, Manolo Blahnik classic black stilettos, a Chanel handbag, a Bella Freud cashmere sweater, a Helmut Lang black trouser suit and a mini-skirt by Luella.

What do you keep in your handbag?

Chanel shades, a diary and an Agnes B purse. A Chanel black mascara, YSL Touche Eclat, MAC Lipglass, an Olympus mini-digital camera, a notebook and pen, purse-sized Chanel No 19 and the keys for my Vespa.

18-08-2005
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid
Model Laura Bailey is fast becoming the toast of the London social scene, with Matthew Williamson at dawn.....and Chanel at noon, she truely is a dream
i cant believe i wrote that.......what was i thinking! it sounds like an extract from OK magazine
say cheese!!!!!

18-08-2005
V.I.P.

^

18-08-2005

Thanks for the articles cosmocat and blondebella

Acid

V.I.P.

tthanks!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bailey, laura