How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Fashion Pack
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-11-2012
fashion insider

Liz Goldwyn in Harper's Bazaar February 2001:

my scan

11-02-2014
V.I.P.

zimbio.com

12-02-2014
V.I.P.

vogue.it

12-02-2014
V.I.P.

harpersbazaar.com

27-03-2014
fashion elite

The Interview: Liz Goldwyn
Quote:
The film-maker and artist talks fashion, feminism and the importance of what it means to be a woman with VASSI CHAMBERLAIN.

Writer and film-maker Liz Goldwyn, 37, has so many talents and occupations (she has made films, written books and staged exhibitions) that it is difficult to pin down exactly who or what she is because, until very recently, she wasn’t entirely sure herself. She has finally settled on “artist”, the catch-all term for the multi-tasking, 21st-century aesthete.

If one had to narrow down what this native Los Angeleno, who comes from what is arguably Hollywood’s grandest family (her grandfather was Samuel Goldwyn, the founder of several motion-picture studios, and her father and brothers work in the industry) is really about, one would say that she is involved in the business of sex – a subject that first piqued her interest when she found her father’s Playboy magazines as a child. But the real surprise is the way she treats the subject: with a reverence and respect so refreshing and unusual, it is almost Victorian in its modesty.

“I never felt that there was any shame in asking questions about sex in my family,” Goldwyn says, rearranging her ’40s-style tea dress over her chair. In the flesh, she is a combination of burlesque vamp (nipped-in waist, pointy bosom and “matte, always matte” red lipstick) and modern woman, who talks guilelessly about wanting to help women enjoy their sexuality. “I don’t think my parents ever sat me down and told me about sex, but they gave me books [about it].”

I wonder if it was the counter influence of her mother, feminist playwright Peggy Elliott (who took her young daughter to Pro-Choice rallies), that led Goldwyn to explore the relationship between clothes and sex? She makes constant allusions to it during our conversation, appearing to take a forensic interest in the subject.

Growing up between London and LA, Goldwyn eventually settled in New York, where she attended the School of Visual Arts. Despite her family’s film legacy, she was drawn to fashion, and landed a job at Sotheby’s auction house, where she helped found its fashion department, producing a Chanel costume exhibition and working on the Marlene Dietrich and Duchess of Windsor sales.

Goldwyn’s neat, primly body-conscious personal style stance caught the attention of Carine Roitfeld (then editor of Vogue Paris), who made her New York editor of the magazine, and she has written articles for publications including Vogue (Goldwyn rang Anna Wintour to tell her about the Mulleavy sisters’ label Rodarte when she came across them) and The New York Times Magazine.

With her friend, model Karen Elson (“We’re the redhead feminists”), Goldwyn is now involved in a charitable vintage clothes project with nonprofit organization Dress for Success, but her very latest artistic work, a bit like her love life, she can’t talk about. “It’s set in LA, in the world of prostitution,” she says. “It’s a massive project; I’m publishing a book and developing it for television.”

As our tea comes to a close, I’m struck by how this unusual and interesting woman deploys secrecy and temptation in everyday conversation in the same way a great seductress might with a man she wants to ensnare. I can’t imagine where she might have learned that from.

STYLE RÉSUMÉ
PROFESSION: Writer, director, collector and artist
MY STYLE: Feminine – I love a nipped-in waist and good lingerie
GO-TO LABELS: Erdem, Jonathan Saunders, Zac Posen and Nicholas Kirkwood heels
FAIL-SAFE PIECES: ’30s nightgowns, twinset cardigans and my Tom Ford glasses
FAVORITE BEAUTY PRODUCT: Eminence Organics calendula oil
Liz’s go-to pieces

net-a-porter

29-03-2014
V.I.P.

MOCA's 35th Anniversary Gala presented by Louis Vuitton at The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA on March 29, 2014 in Los Angeles, California.

zimbio.com

17-07-2014
V.I.P.

Vênsette’s launch in Los Angeles on Tuesday (July 15).

harpersbazaar.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
goldwyn, liz