How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Fashion Pack
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-03-2011
.my prison is your brain.

Marina Muñoz - Stylist
I am sure you have all seen this beautiful Argentine stylist Marina on every style blog imaginable by now. I love her style, so tomboy chic.

citizencouture

Last edited by HeatherAnne; 11-03-2011 at 04:40 PM.

11-03-2011

Stylecaster's 50 Most Stylish New Yorkers

Marina Munoz wears: A.P.C shirt; Madewell tee; Camarc France pant; Belt designed by her mom; Beacon's Closet Scarf; Madewell clogs; Tardan hat

Do you have any favorite hometown fashion designers that are based in New York?
I love my friend Stephanie Tran. She has a line called Duskin. She makes really, really beautiful clothes that are beautiful silhouettes with great construction and fabrics. I could live forever in one of her silk blouses. Right now her new collection—she sells at Opening Ceremony—has this awesome jacket, which reminds me of an old school Barbour jacket. Her stuff is amazing—she does beautiful dresses and simple, nice, lovely things.

Where are your favorite places to shop in New York?
Some friends of mine own Gargyle, which is a really cool shop to visit. It’s in the Lower East Side and it’s just a great mix of pieces. They have beautiful dresses and awesome Karen Walker sunglasses and cool shoes. They also sell the Acne boots there that have fringe. Then I like Jumelle, on Bedford. And I'd like to give a shout out to Madewell. I love Madewell! My dear friend, Joyce, does the accessories line there, and I go bananas at Madewell. They all know me when I walk in!

Is there a favorite decade of fashion that inspires you?
I love Woody Allen’s films in the '80s —Hannah and Her Sisters or Manhattan. Those films. Now I’m also thinking a lot about The Great Gatsby with Mia Farrow—that was Ralph Lauren’s first consulting gig when he did all the wardrobe. That’s a great film too. And then I think of Kramer Vs. Kramer with Meryl Streep. I don’t know if you guys have heard of that—that’s full on Meryl Streep wearing beautiful long skirts and amazing outfits. But I think Woody Allen would be the biggest inspiration. I was Annie Hall in Paris. I had the whole outfit. But in Paris you can get away with it.

stylecaster

11-03-2011

1. FIRST OF ALL: COMFORT AND ELEGANCE ALWAYS! AND IT’S BETTER TO STICK OUT THAN BLEND IN.

2. I PREFER WELL MADE PIECES, STAPLES THAT I CAN HAVE IN MY CLOSET AND YEAR AFTER YEAR THEY AGE LIKE WINE, LIKE AN OLD HERMÈS BLOUSE OR CHLOÉ BLOUSE.

3. I THINK THAT TOO MUCH PERFECTION IS BORING. THERE HAS TO BE SOMETHING OFF, SOMETHING DISTRESSED OR WORN.

4. I LOVE VINTAGE AND MENSWEAR AND LOVE INCORPORATING THOSE PIECES WITH MY EVERYDAY WARDROBE. I AM REALLY BIG ON LOAFERS NOW. I COLLECT PIECES FROM THE MEN I ADMIRE AND HAVE COUNTLESS THINGS FROM MY FATHER, BROTHER AND OF COURSE I WEAR A LOT OF MY BOYFRIEND’S CLOTHES.

5. I FIND THAT IF SOMETHING LOOKS ON GOOD ON ME, I TEND TO STICK TO IT LIKE MEN’S SHIRTS, HATS, TROUSERS AND SIMPLE SHIFT DRESSES. I LOVE DRESSING UP AND DRESSING DOWN.

6. I DON’T REALLY LIKE TO FOLLOW FASHION. I LOVE AND WORK IN FASHION BUT I’VE BECOME MORE OBSESSED WITH THE DETAILS OF PIECES AND THE MIXING OF SHAPES, TEXTURES AND FABRICS.

7. MY FAVORITE FILM IS THE LOVER, THEN FUNNY FACE WITH AUDREY HEPBURN. THOSE FILMS REALLY INFLUENCED MY STYLE.

jk&jilblog

11-03-2011

hanneli.com

11-03-2011

garancedore

04-05-2011

Extensive and amazing feature on Natalie Joos' blog with Marina titled "Gypsy Queen Marina", in which she shows off her closet and home. I had no idea her boyfriend was Sebastian Kim, what an artistic and brilliant couple.

Sneak peak picture, 32 pictures in total!

Full post here: http://talesofendearment.blogspot.co...ina-munoz.html

Last edited by HeatherAnne; 04-05-2011 at 02:46 PM.
17-05-2011

Yep, sure, I'll just keep right along being the sole poster in this thread, no worries...

Quote:
This year has proven to be the year of Marina Munoz- stylist, rising fashion maven, and dear friend of Gargyle. With images of her unforgettable eyebrows and face, enviable collection of hats, and signature style splashed all over blogs and magazines like Vogue, Madame Figaro Japan, Ginza and Spur, we thought it would be fun to ask the lovely Miss Munoz to drop by to show us how to get her look with Gargyle’s summer selection.

Her unpretentious mix of patterns and prints with a play on masculine-feminine has made her a standout on the NYC streets, where it’s often hard to be noticed for style alone. Born in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, her aesthetic is as eclectic as her upbringing. Born to an American father, described by Marina during our shoot as a “very talented artist who paints gauchos,” and an Argentinean mother who is “always sending [me] fabrics in the mail”, the down-to-earth stylist not only draws style inspiration from her family but also from such ’80s Americana references as Brooke Shields, Angelica Houston, Meryl Streep, and Lauren Hutton.

We had a blast working on this story with Marina, watching her work her magic and chatting about everything from the perfect linen couch to Rome to camping and yurts. Needless to say, we love Marina here at Gargyle and are ecstatic to present some of her favorite looks for Summer 2011. Styled and modeled by Marina Munoz, if you don’t already know and love her, you will after this!

gargyle.com

17-05-2011
V.I.P.

I like her style. It is very different from what I am used to see, very gaucho inspired.

17-05-2011
fashion insider

HeatherAnne, good call on dedicating this thread.

i've seen her all over the style blogs and she's growing on me. at first she struck me as the run-of-the mill rich boho vintage hoarding hipster type and she still does but upon closer inspection there's something different about her, a toughness which i like. and not the tired, over-done shredded neo-grunge thing that didn't really seem to have heart or a connection to the original source.

she's a total vintage Ralph Lauren poster child; esp love that lauren-esque chinese/middle eastern work shirt. i have one like that my hubby passed off to me and i love it. i get the impression she loves/appreciates clothing and it's history, and playing with traditions and expectations in the same way as say celeb clothes horse Chloe Sevingy does.

she's making me miss my long hair...

18-05-2011
backstage pass

I met Marina briefly in Brooklyn a few weeks ago. Sweet and very beautiful in person. Thought she was a model at first.

20-05-2011
fashion insider

a fun little post dedicated to Marina from one of favorite style blogs:

character from the book The Pain and the Great One:

(her) sources:
one and two: turned out
three: citizen couture
five: jak and jil

20-05-2011
fashion insider

background info:

Marina Muñoz collaborated with photographer James Ryang on the stories Sole Partenership and Brooklyn’s Newest Crop, she also styled the Fashion Story Voices of the Wilderness inspired by Francesca Woodmans work.

Marina Muñoz was born in Baton Rouge, Louisiana to an American mother and Argentine father.

She has lived in The Berkshires, NYC, Buenos Aires, Paris and Mexico City. Marina moved back to NYC just last year after working for Harpers Bazaar en Español in Mexico City. Marina lives in Williamsburg with her boyfriend and their dog, Moreno.

Her taste for food, fashion, music and film are as eclectic as her personal style. She has assisted stylists such as George Cortina, Jacob K and Veronique Didry.

thewildmagazine.com

20-05-2011
rising star

Thanks for the thread! I love her style, she always looks amazing

trendsetter

US Vogue July 2011 Index

scanned by Gossamer Veil

19-06-2011
front row

anyone know how old is she??

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags