How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Fashion Pack
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

09-04-2011
front row

prada furrrrr

10-04-2011
backstage pass

more from Seattle @Nordstrom event, picture and article from NWsource:

Quote:
The Olsen twins talk fashion with us at downtown Seattle's Nordstrom
By Alison Brownrigg
April 8, 2011

Special to NWsource.

Whatever your tabloid impressions are of Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, there’s no denying that they’ve got some major fashion cred and serious business savvy.

In addition to launching their own clothing line for Walmart at age 10, the two have added couture line The Row, modern lifestyle brand Elizabeth and James and the casual, denim-focused TEXTILE Elizabeth and James line to their purported 100-million-dollar empire. A recent nomination from the Council of Fashion Designers of America for the Swarovski Awards, which recognizes emerging talent in womenswear, menswear, and accessory design, further strengthens their position among other American designers.

The Olsen twins were in Seattle on Thursday, April 8, for a private event to meet with and help style Nordstrom’s top Elizabeth and James and TEXTILE customers. And while I didn’t get a glimpse of those customers, based on the casual wearability of the lines, I’ll bet there are a lot of you out there.

Elizabeth and James and TEXTILE are both approachable and relatively affordable lines (compared to those of their colleagues) that, “seek to narrow the gap between designer and contemporary fashion,” according to the press material.

Nordstrom carries a nice selection of both, with Elizabeth and James filling more of the professional woman’s needs (blazers, blouses, fitted dresses and pumps), while TEXTILE is heavy on the denim, casual skirts, tees, “basically, what we like to wear on the weekends, when we’re not dressed up or at work,” explains Ashley.

This visit was the twins’ first trip to Seattle, although they’d been interested in visiting for years. “It’s so calm and green,” says Mary-Kate.

“The style here is so organic, down-to-earth and grounded,” adds Ashley. A notable difference, perhaps, from their glamorous, much-photographed lives in New York and Los Angeles.

Whenever I interview famous people, I’m always aware that regardless of how imaginative I think my questions may be, the celebrity has been asked the same thing (or a variation thereof) a million times before. The minute the words, “So, what’s behind the name Elizabeth and James?” escaped my lips, I knew I’d landed firmly in the, “Oh no, not this question again” territory. Regardless, I found their answer really interesting.

“Well, it’s the name of our siblings,” explains Ashley. “But it also refers to the heart of the brand,” Mary-Kate continues. “The duality of masculine and feminine, uptown and downtown.”

It’s a kind of yin/yang thing that is reflected in their collection. For example, contrast a very feminine, flowy sheer silk crepe blouse with delicate eyelets and bell-shaped sleeves against peep-toe suede stiletto booties with a prominent metallic chainmail accent.

Their answers to my final question, “who are your current style icons?” underscored that opposition in their creative expression of fashion. “I love Lauren Hutton,” offered Ashley, almost without missing a beat. “I think she is so chic and very natural.”

Mary-Kate, perhaps the more circumspect of the two, replied after a few moments, “I’m really inspired by men and how they can create a consistent style that lasts forever.”

Elizabeth and James and TEXTILE Elizabeth and James are available at the downtown Nordstrom and online, where there are some very cute styles on sale for up to 60 percent off.

Copyright © 2011 The Seattle Times Company

10-04-2011
V.I.P.

MKs hair is kinda yellow, isnt it?

10-04-2011
V.I.P.

It's lovely to come on here and find quite a few new pics . Gorgeous ladies

10-04-2011
V.I.P.

i'm totally in love with Ashley's outfit. totally.

10-04-2011
V.I.P.

ewh, those ugly furs they keep wearing are just disgusting.

10-04-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna-maria View Post
I have to agree. They are not simply disgusting and sometimes even quite cheap looking, but they look really weird on such tiny people ...

10-04-2011
Ère de ℳodernité

I love their furs. Always have, always will

10-04-2011
oh! darling

I can do with the Prada stole, but the other brown mess is something else.

10-04-2011
trendsetter

Love the prada stole and the gold detailed jacket in the new old candids! Does anyone know who it is by?

11-04-2011
windowshopping

In the picture in #377 MK's hair does look super yellow but how amazing do ashley's leather trousers look!? Its weird cos sometimes ashley can look great, really original and stylish, and other times it looks like she's had a mental 'grey gardens' style breakdown!

11-04-2011
V.I.P.

I love Ashley's brown leather trousers. Gorgeous.

11-04-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen depart from LAX Airport (10th April 2011).

tlfan

12-04-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna-maria View Post
I agree...they both look pretty bad IMO

12-04-2011
When in doubt, wear red.

I just love these girls, they seem to fly as much as models do
Can't wait to see their outfits, especially MK's.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, ashley, june, march, marykate, olsen