How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Fashion Pack
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-08-2012
V.I.P.

maydele blogspot

22-08-2012
V.I.P.

Blondes Prefer Bergdorf: Plum Sykes Recalls Her First Time at the Legendary Department Store’s Salon
By Plum Sykes

Quote:
This year marks Bergdorf Goodman’s 111th anniversary, and the store is celebrating in grand style, starting with the publication of Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf Goodman, out from Harper Design on August 28. Here, Vogue Contributing Editor and Bergdorf Blondes author Plum Sykes recalls her first time setting foot inside the store.

When I arrived in New York in 1997, I had never experienced an eyebrow wax, a highlight, or a mani-pedi. These things sounded so glamorous, so exotic. One of my editors, Amy Astley (now editor in chief of Teen Vogue), called me a “beauty virgin” and asked me to write a story for the magazine about my first foray into New York grooming.

I was promptly sent to Bergdorf for my makeover. I will never forget stepping out of those pretty, deco-style elevators and onto the penthouse floor where John Barrett’s salon awaited me. I loved the lilac-painted walls, the enormous bunch of pink cherry blossoms in the foyer, the incredible views over Central Park, and the inside information that the salon was once the home of the Bergdorf family.

I wrote my story, and soon became hooked on a weekly spot on the mani-pedi bench at the back of the salon. My nails looked glorious and as I sat there waiting for the varnish to dry, I would gaze in awe at the blonde women who spent hours getting their hair blond-ed there. Even with cotton wool and plastic wrapped round their heads to stop the gloopy dye from falling onto their faces, they exuded New York chic. Their many-carated engagement rings sparkled as they made calls on their cell phones, they gossiped about their friends in voices loud enough for this reporter to hear (and take extensive notes)—and eventually inspired my first novel, Bergdorf Blondes. I loved the salon, adored the store, and can never thank the Bergdorf people enough for allowing me to use their name in the title of my first book!
vogue.com

23-08-2012
V.I.P.

Thanks for posting. As much as a soft spot I have for Plum it annoys me the way she acts like NY is the be all of fashion. Like come on of course you could get those beauty treatments in England.

23-08-2012
tfs star

I would love to see pictures of her dressed casually

23-08-2012
V.I.P.

^ she looks good too in casual clothes, i saw some pics of her like that. i just love her style.

27-08-2012
V.I.P.

here is a pic of her in casual wear

Facebook/ Official Plum Sykes

30-08-2012
V.I.P.

So funny to see how young she was in this documentary about Anna Wintour...she really lived the life! I don't think stuff happens like this anymore for an entry-level reporter: the towncars, the trips to Paris, the hours away from the office trying on jewels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=E28sSzdk-kA

30-08-2012
V.I.P.

^ yes she looked so young there! and wow thats the first time i hear she speaking, i expected a much older voice but i was wrong! she looked good btw

30-08-2012
V.I.P.

i wish there were more pictures of her on Internet, her style is fantastic!

papermag

Last edited by ChristyLeReveur; 30-08-2012 at 10:05 AM.
22-07-2013
V.I.P.

at Caroline Sieber's wedding last weekend, so stylish

theepitomeofquiet.blogspot.co.at

27-07-2013
backstage pass

I find her very cheeky - I wish we could see and hear more of her!

27-07-2013
backstage pass

One of the best dressed in the met gala! Very elegant

Vogue.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (40.5 KB, 9 views)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
plum, sykes