How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Fashion Pack
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-09-2009
trendsetter

Plum Sykes
Victoria "Plum" Sykes (born 4 December 1969) is a British-born fashion-writer, novelist and New Yorksocialite. "Plum" was a childhood nickname (the Victoria plum being a variety of that fruit).

Sykes was born in London, one of six children, and grew up in Sevenoaks, Kent. Among her friends at Ide Hill Church of England primary school was Rowan Pelling (b.1968), who became the editor (or "editrice") of the Erotic Review.[1] From there she went to Sevenoaks School, an independent school founded in the 15th century, and then to Worcester College, Oxford in 1988, where she graduated in modern history.[2]
Sykes' mother, Valerie Goad, a dress designer, separated from Sykes' father Mark while Plum was at Oxford. Her grandfather, Christopher Sykes (1907–1986), was a friend and official biographer (1975) of the novelist Evelyn Waugh and son of the diplomat Sir Mark Sykes, sixth baronet (1869–1919), associated with the so-called Sykes-Picot Agreement of 1916, by which Britain and France provided for the partition of the Ottoman empire after the end of the First World War. An 18th century forebear, the second baronet, Sir Christopher Sykes (1749-1801), was a major figure in the enclosure movement that transformed the appearance and management of the English countryside.

In 1993 Plum Sykes became a fashion assistant at British Vogue.[3] She was featured that year, with, among others, designer Bella Freud and model Stella Tennant in Babes in London, in a photographic shoot by the American Steven Meisel (responsible in 1992 for the singer Madonna's controversial collection, Sex), which was produced by the rising fashion guru Isabella Blow (1958-2007).
In 1997 Sykes became a contributing editor on fashion for American Vogue, of which Anna Wintour, also British, had been editor-in-chief since 1988. She became a familiar figure on the New York social scene, being frequently described as an "It girl".[4] She appeared in a documentary about Anna Wintour where she came across as an airhead, crassly remarking " who else would wear a dolce and gabbana skirt to work .....except somebody who works at Vogue".

A decade later, at the age of 38, Sykes reflected that "when you hit 30 you lose your edge": invited by the Times to comment on the late-nineties trend for ultra-high heeled shoes, she observed that "these weird space-age shoes look cool and trendy and are a way of getting back to some degree", but that "this type of trend is not a classic version of beauty. Men want women to be sexy. They'd be happy if we were all [the model] Gisele Bündchen, but that's just not fashion"
The world of New York fashion was the setting for Sykes' first novel, Bergdorf Blondes (2004), which was one of the most successful examples of "chick lit" (or "chic lit" as some dubbed Sykes' writing) and sold a quarter of a million copies worldwide. It took its title from the Bergdorf Goodman store in Upper Manhattan, founded at the end of the 19th century.

A second novel, The Debutante Divorcée, was published in 2006. Sykes publicised it with an array of personal appearances at stores in New York (Chanel, Ralph Lauren, Frederic Fekkai, Ferragamo, Neiman Marcus and Oscar de la Renta). The Debutante Divorcée appeared in paperback in 2007.

Some have seen Sykes' books as lying in natural succession to Sex and the City, Candace Bushnell's column in the New York Observer, which was the inspiration for a highly successful television series (HBO 1998–2004). However, despite their satire, others have regarded them as too rooted in Sykes' own Park Avenue "set" to be reflective more generally of women's lives in post-9/11 Manhattan.[6] Anita Loos' Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1925) is perhaps a closer, if incomparable, antecedent.
Plum Sykes married British entrepreneur, Toby Rowland, son of businessman "Tiny" Rowland, at Sledmere House, her family's ancestral home (1751)[7] in the East Riding of Yorkshire. Her dress was designed by her friend and protégé of Isabella Blow, Alexander McQueen, of whom Sykes was sometimes described as a muse. Sykes and Rowland had their first child, Ursula, in October 2006.

From Wikipedia.com

In my opinion she´s one of the most "chic" woman in the world. Out of new "punks" and "rock" looks, she has prefered to conserve the old and vintage elegant of 30´s. She seems to Jackie O in her clothing and is - fortunatly- a working person who enlarge the happiness of a lot of women in the world with her lovely and charming "chic-lit" novels. You can looking for it in all library.

Hope you enjoy of this forum.
Hugs.
Lily.

From New York Magazine Website

02-10-2009
trendsetter

The Still to Effect Blogsite

02-10-2009
trendsetter

Daylife

02-10-2009
V.I.P.

Oh I love this woman. She writes fantastic articles and always looks wonderful in photographs. Thank you for the thread!

trendsetter

This´s her last best-seller, but I´m sure that she´s writting another one now for publishing soon.

Couture Carrie Blog

02-10-2009
trendsetter

Hi-Lo Poutporry BlOG

02-10-2009
trendsetter

Milk Magazine

02-10-2009
on the come up

style.com

02-10-2009
V.I.P.

oh good to see that she has a thread! i think she is remarkably elegant...in one of the old vogues, her wedding was featured - perhaps someone can dig that up? (she looked absolutely stunning)

backstage pass

she looks a lot like misha barton.

02-10-2009
on the come up

^oh I hope she doesn't!

sfgate.com

I remember reading about her wedding in Vogue too! I'll try and find it.

02-10-2009
trendsetter

Thanks for sharing new pictures. Here you have more:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bDyNRkM-Jv...kes+Vogue2.jpg

02-10-2009
backstage pass

She's very pretty but her books are dreadful! I read one of them and almost hurled it in the swimming pool, it was so infuriatingly snobby and pretentious!

02-10-2009
trendsetter

New Yorker

06-10-2009
backstage pass

very pretty. I loved the Bergdorf Blondes!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
plum, sykes