How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Fashion Pack
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

02-08-2005
V.I.P.

she styled this shoot of brittany murphys and has helped her own several other occasions as well

she has styled the backstreet boys(including their millenium album shoot) and boys 2 men previous to Lindsay & Nicole

03-08-2005
V.I.P.

^ and finally we know who was responsible for that fiasco
i agree with impossible, overhyped...

03-08-2005
windowshopping

what store is nicole and stylist in in this picture where she is on the phone and rachel ahs the white chloe paddington??
thanks

03-08-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by style_savy
does anyone know what store her and nicole are in in post #67?
haha I already have asked that miamifashionista^^ I guess nobody knows

03-08-2005
windowshopping

i was a little surprised that booth moore did this article, definitely the work of zoe's publicist.

04-08-2005
rising star

i also wonder what store they're in. but it says in the caption that they're shopping for shoes in beverly hills.

08-08-2005
V.I.P.

Nicole and Rachel shopping. slave4u.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg normal_nicolerichie-shopping5.jpg (33.8 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg normal_nicolerichie-shopping6.jpg (58.7 KB, 96 views)

08-08-2005
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by style_savy
does anyone know what store her and nicole are in in post #67?
I went into that store when i was in LA but i cant remember what was it called... they had amazing stuff but my sizes were all sold out...they had amazing dresses and jeans...but i know which street it was though...i just know its in bervely hills, if you know where Gap is at bervely hills? its the street opposite gap...i remember crossing the street to go to Gap then i walked a couple of shops and i passed by cheese cake factory then gap...so yeah its before cheese cake factory the opposite road..so you have to cross the road and go a couple of shops before that...i am sure you will find it....

08-08-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by impossibleprincess
I think she is completely overhyped.

Her work only really suits Nicole, and I seriously doubt Nicole wakes up in the morning and calls Zoe to ask, "what shall I wear today?" She styles Ashlee and Jess Simpson too, and they look bloody awful 99% of the time...she also styles Lindsay, and Lindsay is no style icon. Nicole just has it. That's why she looks good. It's 80% you, and 20% your stylist.
I agree

08-08-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by impossibleprincess
wow...that is....ridiculous. If Lohan was a stylist, the whole of LA would look like Britney Spears.
Lohan cant have this amazing style of her own if she has a stylist. You know what im saying, she would still have her cheeeesse look from a year or so ago, im not saying she doesnt look good now...becasue she does. I also think Nicole Richie looks great, yes with the help of someone but she pulls it all off extremely well.

09-08-2005
fashion elite

I am wondering how did she start as a stylist and when did nicole hire her in the first place?

10-08-2005
V.I.P.

It's all on the first page of this thread ... where the article is quoted... but her it is again;

Like most stylists, she doesn't have any formal fashion training. "I was always dressing my friends, and I started finding myself dressing up to go hiking or to a diner. And I would ask myself, 'What am I getting so dressed up for?' But it was kind of all I knew how to do," said Zoe, who was raised in Short Hills, N.J.

When she was 13, she traveled to Paris for the first time on a family vacation. "I had saved every dime and dollar, and I walked right into Louis Vuitton and bought a bag." She still has it, along with hundreds of others she has collected since, which are stored in the foyer in a closet of their own. Recently, she's been carrying the latest "it" bag, the Chloé Silverado in bronze python, a thank-you gift from the French fashion house.

Zoe attended George Washington University, where she met her husband, Roger Berman, an investment banker. He was working as a waiter and she as a hostess at a popular Georgetown harborfront restaurant. She majored in sociology and psychology. ("Some would say that helps in my job," she said.)

After college, she moved to New York and began working as a stylist at YM magazine. She describes the experience as "a crash course" and remembers going back and forth to L.A. on almost a weekly basis for celebrity shoots and fashion features. After four years, she broke out on her own as a freelance stylist working with musicians such as the Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Enrique Iglesias and Vanessa Carlton.

12-08-2005
memoirs of a...

Don't hate Rachel Zoe because she is successful, girls... Don't give her the cold shoulder because she is a wardrobe stylist instead of a fashion stylist, either. In the celeb-obsessed culture today, somebody's gotta do her job. I mean, this girl's sensibilities obviously don't jibe with Vogue, Bazzar, or W, so I applaud her for knowing her limitations and carving out her own career path. Remember that wardrobe styling as a profession just came into existence in the last decade, and was considered much less prestigious than styling for campaigns or magazine editorials when it got started. She believed in what she was doing and got successful against odds, so I don't look at her as someone who got famous simply by running in good circles. Costume designers understand the pro's and con's of working for TV or films, and they accept the trade-off between monetary rewards and creative freedom. I think stylists will come to see the divide soon, too. It's your choice at the end of the day.

I think Rachel Zoe does her job quite well and am willing to defend her on several fronts where she's been attacked, but I by no means think she's unquestionable in every aspect. For starters, she doesn't give good interviews. She is the type of person who expresses herself better through clothes than through words. Sometimes she comes across as airy ("Tom Ford Forever?" I like Ford but I'd put it differently); sometimes she appears like a total slave for fashion, or someone who exists in bubbles. But I don't think the general message she gives is toxic or mean-spirited. She sounds like someone who's very passionate about her job, and at the same time realistic too. After some coaching or hiring a PR who would sit in during her interviews, I'd expect her to get press-savvy. If stylists are to follow magazine editors (Bonnie Fuller comes to mind) to become the new breed of celebrity, they have to know how to work the press and establish their own identity.

So my defenses for her will begin with the accusation that all her clients are clones of herself. Well, most stylists have their signatures, a philosophy that shines through no matter how diverse their assignments are. Is Rachel Zoe less versatile than, say, Carine Roitfeld? As great as Roitfled is, she doesn't often venture into unknown territory. She sticks to what she knows best, which is sharp tailoring and black. Roitfeld's women often have a reserved yet defiant look, much like herself. I can really cut Zoe some slack because I think her work is consistent, not cookie-cutterish. At least she is not someone you'd describe as a 'trend whore,' which is a trap that celeb stylists often fall into when under the pressure to deliver a look that's of-the-moment or worthy of Us Weekly.

Also, I don't think Nicole Richie, Lindsay Lohan, and Jessica Simpson typify Zoe's work, even though they are prob. her most mainstream clients. She put Cameron Diaz in that Vuitton dress for Cannes, Mischa Barton in Azzaro for the Golden Globes, and I suspect Julia Deply in Azzaro for the Oscars and Jennifer Garner in a white Ralph Lauren for the premiere of "13 Going on 30" too. These are quite a departure, and very, very well done. It is easy to underestimate a kohl-eyed, over-tanned stylist such as Zoe, but she has her finger on the pulse of many things. Her red-carpet looks, contrary to popular expectations, are not contrived or over-accessorized.

Her younger clients (Richie, Lohan, and Simpson) have to thank her for the image overhaul but often shaft her in the press. When interviewed by Teen Vogue about her stylist makeover, Nicole Richie "declined to comment" even though everyone knows who got her there. Fans of Nicole Richie say that her new image is 80% herself and 20% Rachel Zoe, but I disagree. Remember Sarah Jessica Parker, pre-Patricia Field? She looked terrible left to her own devices, but since Field showed her the way, her style has been improving. I think the same could be said about Richie: she has a verifiable learning curve, but without the crash course given by Zoe, it would take Richie a long time to get it right. And why do Jessica Simpson or Lindsay Lohan still look so bad? Well, with that kind of hair color, and that degree of eagerness to garner attention, it's hard to not to look trashy. Most of their outfits are ruined by their fake tan and makeup anyway.

But occassionally, they could look good. These are my favorite looks on Simpson and Lohan. Wonder if Zoe could take full credit.

I personally think she struck a chord with beaded necklaces, shorts, and Bulga bags this summer.

12-08-2005
V.I.P.

I found a great HQ of Lindsay & Rachel shopping. They look so cute!
lindsayimages.com

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hh6je.jpg (96.0 KB, 187 views)

Last edited by style_savy; 12-08-2005 at 06:38 PM.

12-08-2005
fie
scenester

Botox?????????????? I think she needs to eat

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2005, 2010, july, march, rachel, stylist, zoe