How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Fashion Pack
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-06-2010
fashion elite

style.com

03-06-2010
fashion elite

young Riccardo

facebook / Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci

03-06-2010
Mr. Magic

Quote:
700 hours is a long time for anyone to sit still, but the magnificent, mesmerizing performance artist Marina Abramovic completed her celebrated show, "The Artist is Present," at The Museum of Modern Art and it was time to celebrate.

Abromovic told the crowd, "I love fashion and I love vanity," and so Givenchy's Riccardo Tisci hosted a party and dressed Abromovic in all-black Givenchy haute couture. Tisci supplied the most glamorous guest list MOMA has ever seen. He also dressed a long list of Givenchy glamazons who chose either all black or all white, like an op-art painting come to life.

In bad-*** black Givenchy: singer Ciara, Christina Ricci, Liv Tyler, Malgosia Bela, Hilary Rhoda, Lakshmi Menon ("My outfit is covered in crystals and very heavy to wear in this heat, but very chic," Menon said), Mariacarla Boscono and rocker Courtney Love. Who chose angelic white? Natasha Poly and Joan Smalls.

Other famous faces in the crowd included Oscar nominee Miranda Richardson, James Franco, Patti Smith, Michael Stipe, fashion photography's first couple Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin, artist Terence Koh (who arrived the day before from China with a baby boy he adopted and named Bei Bei) and Veronica Webb, who went ying and yang in a short black and white print Givenchy dress. But of course, Bjork donned the most outrageous Givenchy dress of the night: an explosion of gold ruffles.
vogue.it

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

05-06-2010
Mr. Magic

purplediary

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

05-06-2010
tfs star

I reallly am not seeing the connection between him & Ciara..There never has been anything remotely cutting-edge w/ neither her music nor her public image..IMO, she's always been a second-rate Beyonce

05-06-2010
tfs star

^^^I've always found Ciara to be kind of androgyness(sp?) actually and that was even before those rumors that she was a hermaphrodite surfaced. So maybe that appealed to him. Not to mention she's stunning and is talented.

Edit: Ciara and Beyonce aren't really similar when you compare their music and performance styles actually. Ciara was always more urban and hip hop which Tisci seems to really like where as Beyonce is more pop, glitz and glamour a majority of the time.

Last edited by reese06; 05-06-2010 at 09:55 PM.
06-06-2010
V.I.P.

plus Ciara could give some models a run for their money.

08-06-2010
Alluring

It's going to be simply orgastic, really!

14-06-2010
fashion elite

Amica December 2009
"Film" by Christopher Morris

realnob.blogspot

14-06-2010
fashion elite

Self Service #32 Spring/Summer 2010 by Ezra Petronio

models.com

14-06-2010
fashion elite

thesartorialist

21-06-2010
Mr. Magic

Quote:
Last Tuesday, Serbian performance artist Marina Abramovic’s three-month retrospective at the Museum of Modern Art in New York came to an end, as did her performance piece “The Artist is Present”, for which she had sat silently at a table in the museum’s atrium, all day every day for the duration of the show. Visitors were encouraged to take up the empty chair next to her. At the close of the exhibition, Riccardo Tisci, the creative director of Givenchy and a friend of Abramovic, threw her a celebratory party. Beforehand, the two got together to discuss their symbiotic personal and professional relationship; Vanessa Friedman, FT.com’s fashion editor, listened in.

Riccardo Tisci: I met Marina about three and a half years ago through her ex-husband; I had been commissioned by AnOther magazine to do a project with an artist, and I wanted one who wasn’t so well known, so I found [Italian artist] Paolo Canevari. We were working mostly by e-mail, but one day he invited me to Sunday lunch. I didn’t actually know he was Marina’s husband, because I’m not one of those people who Google their hosts before they meet, so I went over, and there was this woman in a black Yohji Yamamoto dress, long black hair, black shoes. She’s walking around doing stuff, and Paolo’s saying ‘Marina this’ and ‘Marina that,’ and about halfway through it dawned on me: this was Marina Abramovic. I started sweating.

Marina Abramovic: I knew who Riccardo was, because growing up in the ex-Yugoslavia, my mother was obsessed by French culture; everything French was good, and everything else was bad. She took me to the Alliance Française at 11 to learn French. So I knew about Givenchy, and Audrey Hepburn and all that. But, at the same time, in the 1970s artists saw fashion as this huge enemy: the only reason you would dress up and have red lips would be to seduce a curator so they would show your work. It wasn’t until I moved to Paris in the late 1980s that I felt allowed to be interested in fashion.

RT: I had been at Givenchy about one and a half years when we met, and I invited Paolo and Marina to a show.

MA: I was absolutely blown away. There are a lot of designers who make women look cheap and vulgar – you see those dresses, and you think: how am I supposed to be in that? – but Riccardo’s work puts a woman in charge of their space and time and self. I think it’s because he has eight sisters, so he knows women in his veins. I found out we also have a similar sense of humour, and he loves art, and understands it, and loves things that are very strange. Performance art is very strange.

RT: It’s about emotions, which is what I feel everything I do needs to be about; giving and getting emotions, and when I can’t sense that any more in this job, I think I will stop. The funny thing is, when I started my career I always did installations or performance pieces, and only when I got to Givenchy and all the critics kept saying they had to see the clothes move did I do the full runway, which I had always thought made girls look like robots.

MA: There was a critic who once said to me, ‘I hate your work because it always makes me cry,’ but that’s why Riccardo actually loves it. So we’ve become better and better friends, and after I got divorced we became even better friends.

RT: The first time we worked together, I was curating an issue of A Magazine in Paris, and I asked Marina to do a piece where she interpreted me, and I sent her an haute couture dress.

MA: I had it shipped to Laos, because I was working there at the time, filming a piece, and it arrived in this big cardboard box, this extraordinary ball gown. I took it to a place where there was a pool and a waterfall and I put it on and got into the water and started washing it, just destroying it.

RT: And then I was sent a box full of these pictures, and I couldn’t believe it. Because it was so clean – water, daylight, a woman with her face scrubbed clear of makeup – but also so dark. She ruined this thing, and the combination made something else altogether, which is what I think the relationship of fashion and art should be. That’s when I thought: I’ve found my soul mate. Because it also goes all the way back to our childhoods – I grew up poor, we didn’t even have a washing machine until I was 14. This washing by hand was part of my life.

MA: And I remember when my grandmother got our first washing machine. My God, it was so special; she used to take the clothes out of it and wash them by hand because she didn’t want to hurt the machine. It’s amazing that I’m 63 and he’s 35: there’s this huge difference in age, but we don’t feel it at all. We get together and all these ideas come pouring out … We had this idea – someone wanted to take our portrait – and I thought it would be funny if we did Riccardo drinking milk from my breasts. Because that’s really what it is, we feed each other. We’re family.

RT: I sat with Marina twice during this last piece [at MoMA], once when it was just starting, and it was rainy and cold out, and there weren’t so many people in the museum. I left and felt filled with this melancholy, almost the way you do after a funeral. And then I was there on the last day, and it was amazing – it was this feeling of lightness and festivity. I had this memory of sitting facing Marina in Greece at a time when we were both full of darkness after bad loves, tears pouring down our faces. This was like the opposite, like when I was a child and I went to a church in the south of Italy and it was full of candles and white flowers. It’s what we recognise in each other, this capacity for darkness and also light.

MA: It’s why I chose the dress code for the dinner that Riccardo had to celebrate the end of the piece: black and white and gold. It’s how I live my life, all extremes, plus gold to let the light in …

RT: But they are also the main colours in my collections; it took me a long time to use any other colours at all. So we made this incredible dress for her for the party –

MA: – inspired by a piece I did called “Dragonhead”, which was about snakes.

RT: It’s a jacket of 101 snakes, all patched together from tiny pieces of snakeskin, with a big gold belt, and this incredible dress underneath that makes Marina look like a 1950s screen goddess.

MA: I loved it! I’ve never worn a dress like that, and I can only wear it because I lost so much weight, not really being able to eat for the last three months. It’s a great contrast to what I wore when I was sitting, which was a robe like a blanket.

RT: This is what we want to show: that you can be an artist but also be a woman, and look extraordinary and super-sexy.

MA: That you don’t have to be just one way, just a serious and tortured artist.

RT: I think Marina could open the door to that for a whole generation. And then, next, I want her to art-direct a fashion show for me.

MA: I want to train models to walk a different way. I –

RT: Don’t tell!
ablogcuratedby

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

23-06-2010
Mr. Magic

Quote:
Abolish unnecessary luxury and focus on the essence of the collection, with all its elegance, quality and originality: this seems to be the latest main trend of the couture. The proof comes from one of the big names of Givenchy couture: Riccardo Tisci, the creative director of the fashion house since 2005, has announced that for the next season the traditional catwalk will be replaced with a more intimate way of presentation.

The Italian designer, who graduated at Central Saint Martins in London, is one of the most popular designers among insiders and celebrities: his creations were seen on Lara Stone during her marriage with the British TV star David Williams and in 2008 he worked with Madonna in the occasion of her world tour.
vogue.it

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)

26-06-2010
Mr. Magic

At Givenchy Menswear S/S 2011 show

And the finale of the show

gettyimages

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)