How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Fashion Pack
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

23-11-2009
boop

Shala Monroque (November 2009 - September 2013)
Very stylish woman who has been popping up in all the right places. I'm very interested in her and I love what she's been wearing recently. Her style tends towards being very classic but there is an edge to it that I find fascinating.

Image Credit | Jak and Jil

23-11-2009
boop

So much color and energy in this outfit - I love everything that is going on within it!

At Miu Miu S/S 10

Image Credit | Daylife

23-11-2009
boop

Oh my goodness she has a blog! I am so behind with my blogosphere stuff that I didn't even know

shala.thepop.com

23-11-2009
oh! darling

EDIT: We both posted links to her blog at the same time! Oh, Luxx..
I love these colors on her
shala.thepop.com

Last edited by papa_levante; 23-11-2009 at 01:23 PM.

23-11-2009
boop

Quote:

When trying to articulate the style of bon vivant Shala Monroque, a few bon mots come to mind: daring, vivacious, sophisticated, cosmopolitan, eclectic, well-traveled, elegant, and unique. In a rather dizzying pace, Monroque, whose post as editor-at-large of Dasha Zhukova's incarnation of Pop magazine, has made waves on the international party circuit for her fearless taste and boundless joie de vivre. Whether Monroque is reporting on the Amelia premiere at the Doha Film Festival in Qatar (her very inspiring blog is a must-read), dancing the night away at a speakeasy in St. Petersburg, or hosting a fashion week fête attended by the jet set and art world elite, one thing becomes very clear: Shala Monroque's wonderful wardrobe is a collection of great beauty and her artfully crafted ensembles have made quite a bold impression!

Speaking of fashion week, it seems as though no one racked up more invitations (and best-dressed nods) during the S/S 10 season than our gorgeous GOTM. Spotted outside of the Miu Miu show in Paris (above, far left), Monroque looked magnificent in a head-to-toe Prada ensemble. This particular outfit highlights one of our favorite aspects of Monroque's artistic assemblages: her fearless approach to incorporating color and patterns into her picks. (Though our subject du jour claims to be experiencing a post-fashion month shopping hangover, she did cop to having a serious velvet crush this season.) We love her bright yellow printed skirt and the way it plays off the Mohawk-inspired heels from Prada's F/W 08 collection and tribal beaded necklace. Try Loeffler Randall's Loop Skirt ($325) and Jenni Kayne's Roll Sleeve Tank with Fiona Paxton's Metallic Necklace ($375) or the Beaded Collar Necklace ($58) from French Connection.

Monroque offered yet another great skirt-and-top outfit at the Museum of Modern Art's 41st Annual Garden Party last May in New York City. Though her Prada tiered skirt and chemise aren't bold and bright, the satin and cashmere combination certainly showcase Monroque's deft ability to weave luxurious textures into one killer look. The aforementioned pieces are no longer available for purchase, so try Theory's Carmela Sweater ($100) tucked into Forever 21's Exposed Zip Mesh Skirt ($29) for a close approximation. Though Monroque's jeweled sandals are from Prada's S/S 09 collection, make sure to achieve a similar final polish via snakeskin platforms like Chinese Laundry's Tied Python T-Strap Sandals ($80) and lots of faux-pearl baubles—Monroque's are from H&M—but any costume jewelry piece will do the trick!

Of course, what is a sophisticated social without a few strong and standout frocks? Fortunately, in Monroque's case, we'll never have to know, as she has a wardrobe packed with directional dresses from daring designers, such as these two stellar examples from Rodarte. The cobweb Hand Knit Dress she wore to a Mike Myers-hosted benefit late last year (second from left) has been an editorial and celebrity favorite; we like how Monroque styled it with a wide black belt and ombre ankle boots. Make sure to try ASOS' Loose Stitch Knitted Dress ($68) for a look-a-like alternative and pair it with Georgina Goodman's Riva 1 Booties ($665) to achieve Monroque's enviable ensemble. Last but not least, we have another cleverly crafted Rodarte design, specifically their Rafia Fringe Dress ($2500) from the spring collection. This plum-colored creation, which she wore to sit front row at Narciso Rodriguez's S/S 10 show (far right), incorporates organic material such as fiber tassels, as well as bold colors and patterns too, and is the perfect piece to steal the show. And though this exact style is not yet in stores, we think Anna Sui's Ditzy Floral Print Dress ($374) or Vena Cava's Mandala Dress ($495) would be equally vibrant additions to your holiday rotation. Just make sure to slip into a pair of complimentary hued heels, like Nine West's Fuchsia T-Strap Platform Sandals ($79) and you will be the object of outfit-centric attention everywhere!

Article (and image) From Who What Wear Daily

22-12-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Shala Monrowue is chic. Nuff’ Said.
jakandjil.com

22-12-2009
trendsetter

^I don't like the bag, but still she looks stunning.

22-12-2009
rising star

This woman is so stylish!

28-12-2009
rising star

I NEED an id on that headscarf please!! I need an id on everything actually but especially the headscarf!

23-01-2010
V.I.P.

I love reading her blog.

Succinct and packs a punch.

23-01-2010
Meg
inspired contemplation

She has a really vibrant and earthy sense of style. I love that she combines very dramatic dressing with very pared down makeup.

23-01-2010
Fat Karl

Shala has a great sense of style. So effortless...she never looks like she tries hard.

31-01-2010
front row

My thoughts exactly!

24-02-2010
tailored

hanneli.com

21-03-2010
In other words

Vogue US April 2010

Scanned by flyme2themoon

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »