How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Fashion Pack
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

10-07-2005
backstage pass

ive seen her numerous times on pacific heights. she lives a block from us. she is very well dressed all the time i must say.

10-07-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydotcee
does anyone know where I can get something like the gray shirt she's wearing in the last picture? Something baggy and loose (in Toronto, Canada)
You should try American Apparel... they might have some. Just get a bigger size so it's baggy.

10-07-2005
V.I.P.

Socialite style........

10-07-2005
rising star

Love her style, very pretty girl

10-07-2005
trendsetter

She's always with nicole- great style
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spider Club.jpg (16.9 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg Leaving Koi.jpg (297.3 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 2-9-05.jpg (24.7 KB, 253 views)

10-07-2005
trendsetter

Also..she's dating Chad Muska, the guy she's posing with in the teen vogue picture

11-07-2005
front row

The Traina sisters dress so well and they are always in Vogue, Harpers..etc. I think they're really pretty. If only I could shop for shoes in a Prada dress....

15-07-2005
rising star

i love her style! more pictures of her please...

21-07-2005
V.I.P.

Vanessa's sister Victoria is quite stylish as well (in the mauve) I can't seem to find a pic of Vanessa here at the MET costume institute gala celebrating chanel at the metropolitan but I know she wore proenza schouler like her sister and looked lovely. If anyone could a pic that would be greatly appreaciated.

21-07-2005
V.I.P.

article on the Traina sisters

Vanessa and Victoria Traina, the high-profile daughters of novelist Danielle Steel and her ex-husband John Traina, glide effortlessly through each fashion moment: from last fall's hot velvet Yves Saint Laurent jacket to this summer's must-have Prada tie-dye dress and next fall's Marc Jacobs' sexy secretary look. No, these college students are not your average college student fashion junkies, who may love hanging out at the bargain racks and musky vintage stores but are unlikely to order a $16,000 Marc Jacobs mink coat as casually as calling out for pizza.

The Trainas, who have been called (to their chagrin) San Francisco's version of the Hilton sisters, have attended runway shows in Paris with their mom since they were little. Naturally, they wear clothing straight off the runways, carry expensive handbags and drive fancy cars (the day we talk, it's their mother's huge Mercedes G500 Jeep). The thin, blond, pretty head-turners have the smooth confidence that comes from a lifetime of European visits, high- wattage parties, weekends at the Napa ranch, sun-splashed days on the boat and easy access to all the best places.

Increasingly, the Traina sisters are getting noticed nationally; Victoria and one of her other sisters recently appeared in Women's Wear Daily; Vanessa and Victoria have also been mentioned in Vogue, which complimented them on their "creative personal style.''

"When hitting the Manhattan social circuit, the Traina sisters often don sleek Proenza Schouler and Stella McCartney,'' the magazine said. "Sitting front row at the Paris couture, they're in prim Chanel. When letting loose at their family's Napa Valley ranch, however, they wear boho-chic Marni.''

And (what a surprise), the sisters say they want to go into the fashion business after college. Vanessa has already modeled for the Look agency in town. Both want to work for the big glossies one day. But their career ambitions do not include following in the footsteps of Paris and Nicole Hilton. "We've never met them,'' Vanessa says politely. "I'm sure they are very sweet girls. I've never thought badly of them at all. I think the media plays up the party angle way too much.''

Here at home, the Trainas are not trailed by the press other than at public functions, and the non-paparazzi-infested San Francisco culture allows them to hang out where they choose without reading about it in the next day's -- if not next week's -- society pages. But they are well known to the sales associates at the Marc Jacobs boutique on Maiden Lane, which is where we caught up with them recently.

Victoria came in to order her fall wardrobe. (Vanessa had ordered hers earlier). Then, it was on to American Rag on Van Ness, which carries new and vintage clothing.

The close-knit siblings, who represent just a slice of their large blended family, link arms as they walk down the street. Victoria, 20, who attends Parsons New School in Manhattan, seems to look up to her younger, somewhat worldlier sister.

"We shop together all the time and wear each other's clothes,'' says Vanessa, 19, who attends Pepperdine University in Malibu and is taking an intensive French class this summer at the Berlitz school downtown. "My sister is more classic, more streamlined in her taste; she likes cleaner lines. I'm more eclectic, a bit more funky.''

True to her word, Vanessa wears an outfit that is a bit more revealing than her sister's. You can see the beach culture influence in her white eyelet lace top and mini by Magda Berliner, a Los Angeles stylist-turned- designer. She pairs it with big gold chandelier earrings, metallic Prada sandals and a red Hermes Birkin bag.

Victoria, who isn't working or taking classes this summer, is in a tie- dye dress, metallic sandals and a python belt, all by Prada, a vintage ivory bracelet and a white strappy Balenciaga bag. Here in San Francisco, where they come during school breaks and other holidays, they shop at such eclectic local fashion boutiques as Metier on Sutter Street, Annie's on Union, Susan's on Sacramento and American Rag, which sells kitschy $12 T-shirts among other offerings. So, what is their fashion budget? This is a question for which we knew there would be no answer. "We don't talk about that,'' Vanessa says, right on cue. "But we can't just buy anything.''

Still, one can only imagine the size of their Gatsbyesque closets, and wonder what they do with clothes they get tired of. "We put the couture clothes in storage and give the ready-to-wear to consignment shops like Cris on Polk Street,'' Victoria says. (But don't break an ankle getting there to check out their castoffs, unless you're about a size 0).

But at the moment, it's time to shop for something new. "Our mother has a great eye; we grew up in her closets, and she taught us everything we know about fashion,'' Vanessa says. "Like how to spot quality and craftsmanship.''

At the Jacobs boutique, Victoria thumbs through the "look book,'' a glossy catalog of the designer's fall collection. She leans informally on the counter and casually points to six or seven pieces, including a mink coat with a Peter Pan collar, which will retail for about $16,000, a tweed coat with a lynx collar, several belts, skirts and one or two dresses with high necklines and long sleeves, which will sell for about $1,000 each come fall.

"We both love his clothes,'' Victoria says. "I love what he's doing for fall; the dresses with the high collars, the round-toe shoes. I love the coats with the Peter Pan collars. It's kind of prim and proper, but it's still sexy and cute.''

Afterward, the sisters go through the spring racks, pointing out what they already own. "We love these hot pants,'' says Vanessa, holding up a pair of blue tweed shorts. "We have them in different colors; I like to wear mine with a vintage T-shirt and pointy heels.''

Next stop, American Rag, where the sisters head for the vintage dress rack and then the T-shirts. Vanessa examines a boxy purple T-shirt emblazoned with a wagon train and the word "Oklahoma'' for less than $20. "I love it; it's so kitschy. I'd wear this with jeans and heels or over a dress.''

She tries on a vintage red terry cloth romper (a one-piece shorts set). She likes it, but passes. "I have so many other things to wear on the boat,'' she sighs. She ends up buying a vintage yellow and white baseball shirt with the word "Senior'' on it and a pair of new beige satin ballet flats with the saying, "I danced myself into the tomb.''

"I like cute flats in the summer,'' she says. "I hate flip-flops. They just cheapen an outfit.'' Victoria tries on a few sundresses, but leaves empty- handed.

Of all the clothes they have worn and loved, which have they loved the most? "For me, it's an amazing pale pink silk charmeuse suit with a mink collar by Chanel that I found in Paris,'' Vanessa allows. For Victoria, it's a black Chanel evening coat from the '90s with a satin collar. "I'd never give that away.''

As they head to the Jeep, Vanessa lights up a cigarette and they immediately get on their cells. As the wind picks up, Vanessa throws on a favorite Chanel sweater that has been bunched up in her bag. Swinging their designer bags, they look like a pair of fashion editors one sees in the tents during fashion week. One assumes that interviews at the major magazines will not be a problem.

21-07-2005
V.I.P.

another article about their style

if 24 hours in the life of Victoria and Vanessa Traina reads like something out of a novel, that's because their mom is danielle steel. They carry birkin bags to class, have high-end fashion boutiques on their speed dials, and are pretty enough to be models. who better to show off spring's spirited party dresses?
Victoria and Vanessa Traina, the green-eyed, golden-locked daughters of best-selling author Danielle Steel and shipping magnate John Traina, are anything but typical coeds. They grew up in a sprawling 55-room Pacific Heights mansion with seven siblings and stepsiblings, nine dogs, and a Vietnamese potbellied pig named Coco (as in Chanel). As children, they played dress-up in their mom's couture closets, filled with Dior and Lacroix. And their regular uniform for classes—Victoria, 20, is a sophomore at the New School University in Manhattan; 19-year-old Vanessa is a freshman at Pepperdine—is a Chanel jacket, which the former pairs with jeans, the latter with miniskirts. The sisters carry Hermès Birkins as schoolbags—bless them!

There's no question that the Traina sisters get their creative flair and expensive taste from their fiction-writing mom, who's almost as famous for her impeccable style as she is for selling more than 520 million copies of her novels. “We used to stomp around the house in her high heels and diamonds,” says Victoria. “She has one closet that's a whole separate room where she keeps her gowns,” adds Vanessa. “That one was our favorite!” And still is: Victoria was recently lucky enough to snag a black Chanel couture slipdress circa 1995. It comes with a matching tweed coat, but she's more likely to wear it out to a club with a jean jacket. No surprise for someone who, with her sister, has attended the couture shows in Paris every summer since she was eight.

Steel bought Victoria and Vanessa their first couture dresses a little over two years ago when they debuted at Le Bal des Debutantes, the international coming-out ball at the Hótel de Crillon in Paris. Victoria wore a white corseted Lacroix gown; Vanessa went for a shocking blue Dior. “I wish I could wear it around the house,” she says. “But it's got a huge train.” When these preppy party girls, who say they want to be stylists at a magazine like this one when they finish school, aren't being fitted at Paris ateliers, they mix cool, edgier labels like Chloé and Stella McCartney with sophisticated, grown-up ones. The Chanel jacket is a mainstay in their wardrobes. They throw it on over vintage tees and lace camis with youthful nonpretension, a look that's applauded by Proenza Schouler designer Lazaro Hernandez. “They put these crazy things together that most people would save for special occasions,” he says. “And then they just wear them to school. It's so glamorous.”—Jane Keltner

The sisters ordered nearly the entire Proenza Schouler spring collection: shorts, bodysuits, the black patent leather bolero, some pieces in multiples of six. “Their stuff is feminine, and it has an old and new feeling about it,” says Vanessa, who for her part deems her look “laid-back Marc Jacobs—casual with a touch of flirtiness and elegance”—and attributes her and her sister's penchant for wearing colliers de chien (Hermès' spiked cuffs) to class and gum-ball-size diamonds to Chelsea hot spot The Park as “just wanting to enjoy things, not hide them away.” Of course, being able to afford such things by the bundle can also buy you the nonchalant confidence it takes to pull them off

21-07-2005
rising star

Thank you for the articles, Styly Savvy

22-07-2005
backstage pass

do you guys knows any good pix or candid pix of vanessa, like any website?

24-07-2005
tfs star

Victoria Traina attends the Teen Vogue party to benefit The Rainforest Foundation April 16, 2004 in New York City

24-07-2005
tfs star

Victoria Traina and her sister Vanessa Traina, daughters of author Danielle Steel, doing a photo shoot on location at Barney's Department Store December 12, 2003 in New York City.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2005, 2010, april, march, traina, vanessa