How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-05-2007
V.I.P.

First of all, I do admit I don't know anything about maintaning a website. But I can't help but wonder why does this site have to have this many advertisers? Many big forums are in a format where they don't need such big advertising. Why does tfs need it? Is it the reason why older members cannot be deleted if they have never posted here?

I sent Andy a private message about this some days ago, but he hasn't answered yet.

If the reason for not deleting useless members is because it takes a lot of effort, I would be more than glad to help.

I think Bianca's suggestion is good. Other forums usually go through their lists in the beginning of each year - why not tfs? Besides, I am sure it would help with the site maintenance if this kind of not needed accounts would be deleted.

01-05-2007
Cinematic Vision

I don't know much about mantaining a website either, but, I do know that to keep tFS online it costs alot of money - therefore we have to get advertisers on board.

I am not sure as to whether this is the reason why old members have not been deleted, perhaps it is because their is always the possibility of them wanting to return to tFS.

Andy is very busy, and that will be the reason he has not answered you yet.
As for this discussion about deleting the accounts, I think the chances of this happening are slim to none.

01-05-2007
V.I.P.

But why? Shouldn't that read in the registration rules "You will never be able to delete your account?".

And why does maintaining this website take so much money, when others are maintained for free?

V.I.P.

This forum is exactly like magazines and television. It is designed to make a profit. Therefore it is advertisers are who keep it up and running ... without them, there would be no Fashion Spot. It is not a public service supported by the government, or something.

The advertisers are fully aware that mambership numbers include non active members, too. There is a science to it and they do the math before signing any contracts.

And you need to know that just because someone never posts, it does not mean that they are not lurking ... many, many people don't post until years after they join ... I've noticed that a lot. I've jumped in to welcome people to tFS when I see their first post and notice that they have been members for years! So I know that many of them are here and just choose to read the information. I lurked for more than a year before I posted, too. And that is fine ... we want our members to particpate in anyway that works for them. If they have no information that they want to or can share and no questions that they need to ask ... then what is the point of posting, anyway? But they are still here reading and they are still of interest to advertisers.

Having a high membership count is not a problem ... it doesn't slow the servers down, at all. It is actually the number or posts that get downloaded that slows it down. So ... it's actually the posting members that create the strain. Those that post a lot of fluff posts ... you know, the smilies and the "thanks" and the "wows" and the "omigods" .... the things that don't provide information.

BTW ... we just had a major server upgrade (funds provided by advertisers) so things seem to be running fine right now. Probelm is over.

01-05-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLinen
And why does maintaining this website take so much money, when others are maintained for free?
No website is maintained "for free". It is extremly costly to pay for everything it takes to get it out to the internet. So, someone is always paying the bills .... on some some sites the members have to pay to belong so there are no ads .... but most of them have advertisers or harvest emails so they can send spam (ads). If you are looking at Myspace ... there are ads ... same for blogging sites, Yahoo, E-bay, Musecube ... all of them sell advertising. The internet is not free and neither is the old fashioned type of television ... you know, before cable when it just came in to anyone who had an antenna. The price of getting something "free" is to tolarate the ads. Advertisers pay the bills and the site needs to make a profit to exist.

01-05-2007
Cinematic Vision

Quote:
To purchase a server, [as Bette mentions] to ensure that tFS can sustain the traffic of both members and non-members, and to ensure that it runs at a reasonable pace.

Quote:
Shouldn't that read in the registration rules "You will never be able to delete your account?".
Perhaps this is a consideration to think about, however, when most people join tFS the need to delete their account is probably not on their mind.

01-05-2007
V.I.P.

.. I'd like to add, almost randomly, that one has to be mature and responsible enough about everything included in posts, we all make mistakes but you cannot simply dislike one past post/thread or your entire post count in general and ask for an account removal to start from zero again.. even though a forum can be considered entertainment, it's serious business for others and there isn't always the time for eccentric requests.

fashion elite

so when i ask if my friends account can be removed...is there any possible way or no?

andy hasnt answered me yet

01-05-2007
V.I.P.

Actually there are free blogging sites, like Livejournal for example. It doesn't seem to cost to make your site - sure, adding features does.

What I find interesting, that for example I made a very stupid thread when I was starting around here. Now, if posts cause the problems, and that whole thread was rather pointless, why keep it? Wouldn't it cost less effort to delete it? For example.

But as for discusing why an invidual cannot delete their account here, why is it not possible? To keep the member number high?

Brooklyn, baby!

^ There'd be a heck of a lot of posts to delete if mods deleted EVERY pointless post... That'd take a lot of time and effort.

I don't think TFS is in a bad place right now. The forum is quick to load and is almost never down. So why start policing everything and anything?

01-05-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
What I find interesting, that for example I made a very stupid thread when I was starting around here. Now, if posts cause the problems, and that whole thread was rather pointless, why keep it? Wouldn't it cost less effort to delete it? For example.
if the thread didn't get any replies, it could perhaps be deleted but if it was a topic that other members found valuable in some way, the question is, why remove it if other people didn't think it was pointless?, I think what some members don't realise is that a starter of a thread does not own the thread, it's part of the community the moment you press 'submit'..

Confused & Bewildered

Quote:
Actually there are free blogging sites, like Livejournal for example. It doesn't seem to cost to make your site - sure, adding features does.

Those sites do cost their owners to operate monthly in various webhosting and bandwidth fees. They may not charge their users, but rest assured, they are pulling in money from somewhere even if it's in higher advertising fees on other sites they also own.

Also, TFS is not a stand alone venture, it's part of a larger operation as evidenced by the "Other recommended forum communities:" block at the very bottom of every page, and the references to "Social Knowledge" I frequently see in links and cookies. Not sure if SK is the parent operation or not though.

01-05-2007
fashion elite

i never noticed those forums on the bottom before^
thanks for pointing them out!

01-05-2007
V.I.P.

Thank you TheKiwi! You are looking at the big picture and seeing it the right way.

It's obviously beyond some people's grasp about what makes a forum like this work, and what the priorities are .... so I wont be adressing that anymore. We really don't have time to continue to defend tFS's policies here. It is what it is.

Jackee ... none of the mods can really answer your question at this time about your friend's account. It's something we don't handle at all. Andy will deal with certain things on a case by case basis if there is a solid reason to take action ... but he is very busy. Hopefully he will get back to you soon.

Last edited by BetteT; 01-05-2007 at 08:29 PM.
21-05-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
.. I'd like to add, almost randomly, that one has to be mature and responsible enough about everything included in posts, we all make mistakes but you cannot simply dislike one past post/thread or your entire post count in general and ask for an account removal to start from zero again.. even though a forum can be considered entertainment, it's serious business for others and there isn't always the time for eccentric requests.
I want to end my account because i have had problems in the past with someone from another forum that has tracked me down here, not beacause I spelled something wrong or started a thread Im not proud of. Just simpley because I want my privacy back. And it feels bad to not be able to delete my account right now and knowing "wrong" people can read everything I ever posted. On the other hand, if I get to delete it, I cant register for a new one because its not possible right now, and thats sad because I really enjoy tfs. Anyone getting anything Im trying to say?
The thing is there are many other reasons why people want to delete a user account.

Last edited by Ybmug; 21-05-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
account, delete, user