How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-05-2007
V.I.P.

^ I have to agree. I have many times considered and asked for permission to delete my user account as I have felt like I need more privacy. Not because someone would've tracked me down but because I simply don't want to have my information in so many places in the internet. That is the main reason why I have considered deleting my account.

22-05-2007
Confused & Bewildered

Why not just edit your personal information out of your profile (which should never be there to begin with) ? Then you're just another anonymous poster that can't be tied to any specific person. And of course, don't post any personal details on any forum, including pictures that show your face.

Also, use more than one or two picture hosting accounts when you post pictures. Makes it much harder for anyone to compare details of posted pictures if they're looking for you.

And don't forget to go through your profile and set the various options like "Invisible Mode" which keeps your ID from displaying in the "Who's Online" list.

Admin (AndyR) should be able to change your screen name also without deleting your account completely. I know it can be done in VBB.

Last edited by Echoes; 22-05-2007 at 06:06 AM.
22-05-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Why not just edit your personal information out of your profile (which should never be there to begin with) ? Then you're just another anonymous poster that can't be tied to any specific person. And of course, don't post any personal details on any forum, including pictures that show your face.

Also, use more than one or two picture hosting accounts when you post pictures. Makes it much harder for anyone to compare details of posted pictures if they're looking for you.

And don't forget to go through your profile and set the various options like "Invisible Mode" which keeps your ID from displaying in the "Who's Online" list.

Admin (AndyR) should be able to change your screen name also without deleting your account completely. I know it can be done in VBB.
I know all that and none of personal information (e-mail, name, age, location) is showing, nor do I ever use my photobucket account here. But my opinions and my account still could not be erased... and that would bother me. Having a connection to somewhere I do not want to have a connection to. Therefore it would be very convenient to be able to delete an useraccount. I simply do not see why it isn't possible when it is possible in so many other places. I understand that something unreasonable like erasing posts can be too difficult, but deleting an account is not complicated.

flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ybmug View Post
I want to end my account because i have had problems in the past with someone from another forum that has tracked me down here, not beacause I spelled something wrong or started a thread Im not proud of. Just simpley because I want my privacy back. And it feels bad to not be able to delete my account right now and knowing "wrong" people can read everything I ever posted. On the other hand, if I get to delete it, I cant register for a new one because its not possible right now, and thats sad because I really enjoy tfs. Anyone getting anything Im trying to say?
The thing is there are many other reasons why people want to delete a user account.
if you are having some sort of real safety issue...you can pm the owners of the site and ask them to help you out... Use the Contact us link.

Last edited by BetteT; 21-06-2008 at 03:48 PM. Reason: changed quote to new username and to change how to contact owner.
22-05-2007
V.I.P.

^ Softgrey, could Andy visit this thread and answer our questions? I have sent him a PM weeks ago, but he seems to be too busy.

flaunt the imperfection..

i've already asked him to respond to this thread...

Last edited by softgrey; 22-05-2007 at 09:45 AM.
23-05-2007
tfs star

Sorry for taking so long to chime in on this. the Fashion Spot is indeed part of a network of online forum communities that I own and manage. Each site is very unique and managed based on how the leaders of those forum see fit for their site.

As far as account deletion we can easily delete accounts that have no posts (and sometime just a few posts). If the account has many posts completely deleting the account can significantly disrupt thread continuity. In that event, we can disable your account. When we disable you account we do the following:
  • Change the user name.
  • Remove signature content
  • Remove any info from the profile that might be identifying or replace it with fictitious info
  • Remove all subscriptions
  • Remove avatar
  • Remove e-mail address or alter as well as personal web site info
  • Change account options to refuse PM's and E-maila from users and admins
  • Change date of birth
  • After doing all this - ban this user
Where you make use of the communication features to share information with other individuals, however, (e.g., sending a personal message to another tFS user) you generally cannot remove such communications. Also, if someone quoted your post, the original user name will be shown having been quoted (which we cannot purge out).

If you would like to disable your account, please use the contact us form at the bottom of the page and we would be happy to take care of this for you.

backstage pass

I dont wanna ban myself, i love tfs!

When will it be possible to regriter again?

24-05-2007
Confused & Bewildered

^^ See this is what I don't understand. People ask to have their accounts deleted and information purged, yet want to be able to come back. To me, they only reason to delete an account and purge information would be if I never planned to return for any reason.

Otherwise, why not just stop using one account and create another. Or is there a policy against that? If so, couldn't Admin grant exceptions upon request?

The second option is the one I mentioned above, which is very close to what Andy mentioned they could do.

Not sure if this board can allow UserName changes or not. I know some boards can allow a publicly displayed UserName to be different than the LogIn name; maybe that would help.

Last edited by Echoes; 24-05-2007 at 02:41 AM.
24-05-2007
V.I.P.

^ Username changes are allowed (once, if I recall correctly). I am also curious why would someone delete his/her account here if he/she still wants to be a part of this community?

Thank you Andy for answering to us.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
^^ See this is what I don't understand. People ask to have their accounts deleted and information purged, yet want to be able to come back. To me, they only reason to delete an account and purge information would be if I never planned to return for any reason.

Otherwise, why not just stop using one account and create another. Or is there a policy against that? If so, couldn't Admin grant exceptions upon request?

The second option is the one I mentioned above, which is very close to what Andy mentioned they could do.

Not sure if this board can allow UserName changes or not. I know some boards can allow a publicly displayed UserName to be different than the LogIn name; maybe that would help.
I want a new account, but its not possible to do that (register) at tfs right now. And the reason I want another account and delete my old one has nothing to do with me disliking my username or spelling something wrong in a old post, my reasons are more serious than that.

24-05-2007
V.I.P.

^ Why can't you just change your username?

Unveil Yourself....

^^ Then you should aproach Andy-R about that.

Also to add to Echoes post: there are indeed rules on tFS that forbid having multiple account. If one does, however, one will be officialy warned or perhaps even banned when warning level has reached the limit.

On a personal note, what I don't understand is the fear of being tracked down or being affiliated to something you don't want to. If you don't want to be affiliated anymore with this forum you could also just leave tFS and never come back. Who would like to track you down anyway (if you don't have any sustained reasons where people are stalking you or something)

twitter.com/ErikP87
24-05-2007
tfs star

If you need to change your username or delete/disable your account, please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of every page.

trendsetter

I asked to have my account disabled a week ago, but I didn't even get a reply?

I'd really like to get this done now, because my account here has been causing me trouble, and I don't want to even passively support this place any longer.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
account, delete, user