How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-04-2010
PrettySmileyStew ♥

^ i agree.

because i have my pages set to show the max number of posts per page, every 40 pages or so theres a new thread being made.
some arent even making it to 40

i get it helps tfs move along smoother but arent all the closed threads going to clog something up, especially with the amount of threads that are being closed every 30-40 pages ?

04-04-2010
V.I.P.

^ no we don't expect them to. we expect TFS to move along much quicker as there will be less traffic in the closed threads rather than the current thread.

PrettySmileyStew ♥

ahh, so i should expect every 30-40 pages the thread to be closed and ill have to find the new one ?

05-04-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefrenchy View Post
I know it's for tFS' own good, but that new policy is quite annoying IMO. Especially when the threads are under 100 pages...
Woah, yeh, this is crazy.
I just had half the threads in my UserCP close.

Was tFS even that slow before?

In terms of user experience, wouldn't it make more sense to just close threads once they reach at least 100 pages? I log on to tFS every day, and I know I'm having trouble keeping up, so I can't imagine how hard it will be for those who only log on a couple of times a week, if that.

Providing a link to the previous thread would be considerate as well, especially so one can quickly check if they are posting reposts. I know the answer to this is to do a thread search, but by one mod providing a link, it would save many time.

Also, the practise of including the last 20 or so posts in the new thread seems to have been scrapped (at least in some threads)... why? That would clearly help at least some people to keep up.

If the aim is to speed up tFS well I'm afraid it will work, because less people will be subscribing to threads and actually posting

Last edited by *Bianca*; 05-04-2010 at 03:51 AM.
05-04-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourmefashion View Post
ahh, so i should expect every 30-40 pages the thread to be closed and ill have to find the new one ?
If you have the default setting (15 posts per page), a new thread will be made every 67 pages.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Bianca* View Post
Woah, yeh, this is crazy.
I just had half the threads in my UserCP close.

Was tFS even that slow before?

In terms of user experience, wouldn't it make more sense to just close threads once they reach at least 100 pages? I log on to tFS every day, and I know I'm having trouble keeping up, so I can't imagine how hard it will be for those who only log on a couple of times a week, if that.

Providing a link to the previous thread would be considerate as well, especially so one can quickly check if they are posting reposts. I know the answer to this is to do a thread search, but by one mod providing a link, it would save many time.

Also, the practise of including the last 20 or so posts in the new thread seems to have been scrapped (at least in some threads)... why? That would clearly help at least some people to keep up.
Yes, you are right in everything.

No offense to the mods that have been doing this but this is getting really annoying. The threads in the models threads and start style grow fast, so closing them every time they reach the 1000th post doesn't exactly makes sense to me, would be more than fine at the 5000th post.

Quote:
If the aim is to speed up tFS well I'm afraid it will work, because less people will be subscribing to threads and actually posting
Indeed ...

PS: Why closing Ruslana's thread ? Will she get new work, is the thread even active ?

Last edited by Filipe; 05-04-2010 at 06:08 AM.
05-04-2010
Ère de ℳodernité

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Bianca* View Post
Providing a link to the previous thread would be considerate as well, especially so one can quickly check if they are posting reposts.
Gosh, I so agree with that.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe View Post

No offense to the mods that have been doing this but this is getting really annoying. The threads in the models threads and start style grow fast, so closing them every time they reach the 1000th post doesn't exactly makes sense to me, would be more than fine at the 5000th post.
we also take in account the number of viewers/hits of a thread. you wouldnt believe the amount of the guests some threads have.... there are many variables.

if the owners of the site alert us to problems we have to act on them.

it sure beats TFS shutting down over the weekend over server problems.

Last edited by BetteT; 05-04-2010 at 02:32 PM. Reason: fixing quote
05-04-2010
V.I.P.

My only problem with closing of threads, is the links to the previous threads, not being posted in #1!

V.I.P.

We will eventualy ... after we get caught up ... be closing threads when they reach 1,000 posts so it won't be all at once anymore. This is on instructions from tech support to prevent the same problems we had before from happening again and again.

tFS was not only extremely slow ... it was timing out, threads were not updating, members were not getting their subscription notices, and it almost came to a dead standstill right before Fashion Week. We limped along for weeks like that. I don't think anyone want's to go back to that mess ......

It is the most active threads that cause the most problems ... the threads that are full of pictures, that are moving at warp speed and that eveyone likes to access all the time. As I understand it from tech support, it's all that downloading everytime someone comes into to thread that slows tFS down. The fewer posts in a thread the less load it puts on our servers. We are told that it's the only way to fix this problem ... and still allow you all access to the threads.

We might start posting links to the previous thread again ... but not for now. It takes too long and we are not able to catch up if we do that. After we get caught up .. we will decide how we want to handle it going forward.

Last edited by BetteT; 05-04-2010 at 02:33 PM.
05-04-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post

it sure beats TFS shutting down over the weekend over server problems.
Yeah ... it was every single weekend for a while ... it seemed to start on Friday and not get fixed until the following Monday or Tuesday. It's because they don't have a full tech staff on board during the weekends so we just had to wait and get in line .... they own other forums too, so we'd just get added to the list of things to do.

05-04-2010
The future is stupid

I made a couple of screen caps to show how to do a quick & easy title search. If you need more info about search, feel free to ask, or you can also PM me & I'll be happy to help you.

1. Click Search This Forum
Enter Who/What You Want To Search [I searched Pivovarova]
Click Show Threads
Click Search Titles Only
Click Go

2. Results for Pivovarova

Attached Images
File Type: jpg search1.jpg (149.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg search2.jpg (146.4 KB, 13 views)

06-04-2010
Confused & Bewildered

Quote:
It is the most active threads that cause the most problems ... the threads that are full of pictures,
That wouldn't be as much of a problem if something were done to limit the file size of inserted images or to stop the posting of dozens and dozens of nearly identical images. There are some people here who post little else except hundreds of images, sometimes an entire page of a thread with 20 or more images in each post.

Quote:
When you are doing hundreds of threads ... it takes too much time. Can't we just take a moment to do a search? ... that only takes "2 seconds" as well.
Hundreds of database searches is more of a server load than a quick link insertion.

06-04-2010
V.I.P.

We have noted your preference about wanting us to restrict image size and/or number if images ... and it's not going to happen in the near future, so you don't need to keep reminding us. It's not up to the mods, anyway so it will fall an deaf ears, here.

And ... we are talking about moderator load here ... not server load. That decision has be made and it won't change, either.

06-04-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
We will eventualy ... after we get caught up ... be closing threads when they reach 1,000 posts so it won't be all at once anymore. This is on instructions from tech support to prevent the same problems we had before from happening again and again.
Would it be any different if it were at 1500 posts (100 pages)? I'm sure 1000 pages isn't the exact magic number to speed things up, and it could've just been chosen by tech because it's a milestone sort of number, without putting the user experience in mind. A proper milestone for users would be 100 pages.

Quote:
We might start posting links to the previous thread again ... but not for now. It takes too long and we are not able to catch up if we do that. After we get caught up .. we will decide how we want to handle it going forward.
Quote:
And ... we are talking about moderator load here ... not server load. That decision has be made and it won't change, either.
It doesn't take that long at all. All you have to do is copy the link of the thread you're currently in and closing - and paste it in the new thread when you include the mod notices. I know and am appreciative of all of the mod's, but if you sign up to be a mod, shouldn't there be some expectation that you're going to have to do some extra work for the greater good, too? (and we aren't talking about much work here - less than 2 seconds work). If there was any way that I could put the links in myself in the first post in my favourite threads, I would.

Plus, if you want less mod load, closing threads at 100 pgs/1500 p - not 67 pgs/1000 p - would make much more sense.

Last edited by *Bianca*; 06-04-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
closed, threads