How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-02-2011
French Chic

Whoever sorted that.......a major thankyou from me I just couldn't keep up with them and now I don't have to.

13-02-2011
V.I.P.

It was Buffaloed who found a way to do that and made it happen ... you can thank him!!

14-02-2011
windowshopping

Regarding the Model/Celeb Weight thread, will the old/archived threads ever be viewable again? (There was talk about cleaning them, and then the thread was closed...)

The future is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mignonette View Post
Regarding the Model/Celeb Weight thread, will the old/archived threads ever be viewable again? (There was talk about cleaning them, and then the thread was closed...)

You can still view closed threads.

16-02-2011
scenester

Oh, Can I post something in the thread that was closed?? please tell me something. I need some info I'm feeling bad that I couldn't post anything in the Frida G thread

16-02-2011
The future is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahmerv View Post
Oh, Can I post something in the thread that was closed?? please tell me something. I need some info I'm feeling bad that I couldn't post anything in the Frida G thread
You can no longer post in a closed thread.

Once a thread is closed at 1000 posts, a new thread is automatically opened.
You can post in Frida's new thread...

http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f52...on-125799.html

Last edited by MissMagAddict; 16-02-2011 at 12:07 PM.
16-02-2011
V.I.P.

FYI: If you look at the last post of the closed thread, there will be a link to the "continuation" thread ... the new thread.

18-04-2011
V.I.P.

When will the be Victoria's Secret Etc, Etc thread be reopened? Thanks.

18-04-2011
V.I.P.

I don't know ... that is up to the Supporting Cast mod team and whether or not they want to take the extra time to monitor it.

This thread was attempted because the VS fans kept starting threads before the show just for the sake of having a thread ... so we were trying to give them one place to cool their heels, while they waited for the show. But, as you know, it continously gets out of control with weight talk, arguments, off topic discussion. So it's an extremely difficult thread and requires a lot of moderator time which should be spread elsewhere. No single thread should dominate the mods attention like this one ... so it's counterproductive for us.

18-04-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
I don't know ... that is up to the Supporting Cast mod team and whether or not they want to take the extra time to monitor it.

This thread was attempted because the VS fans kept starting threads before the show just for the sake of having a thread ... so we were trying to give them one place to cool their heels, while they waited for the show. But, as you know, it continously gets out of control with weight talk, arguments, off topic discussion. So it's an extremely difficult thread and requires a lot of moderator time which should be spread elsewhere. No single thread should dominate the mods attention like this one ... so it's counterproductive for us.
I say this very respectfully, no I do not know that; I have been a regular reader of that thread for a little over a year now so perhaps it was before my time. The weight talk that was in the thread recently is centered around a VS model, Candice Swanepoel, whose alleged weight loss was reported in the national and international media. I am not stating that that means that it is OK to discuss it but I think that it explains why the discussion flared up. Occasionally there is indirect weight talk involving Chanel Iman, but weight talk pretty much follows most threads where Chanel Iman, Anja Rubik, Freja Beha Erichsen and a few others are involved, so it is the model and not the thread.

Perhaps I missed it, but I have not seen a lot of evidence that mods have had to intervene in that thread, like a comment from a mod, deleted or edited posts, on an ongoing basis, in fact I was slightly amused when the mods intervened when the Candice Swanepoel matter was being discussed, and was like, "wow, I didn't know that the mods even knew this thread existed."

18-04-2011
Soviet Camaro

Most of the time the mods simply delete the posts without comment. By definition, you don't see the deleted posts; the only way you would know that happened is if it were your post and you received a notification, or if you happened to notice a post that was there, but is gone. There have been many posts deleted in the thread.

Members whose posts are deleted do receive notifications, so they will know why their post was deleted, so they won't breach that guideline again.

As you point out, there are many places on the web where you can discuss models' weight. This just isn't one of them.

Confused & Bewildered

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee View Post
Perhaps I missed it, but I have not seen a lot of evidence that mods have had to intervene in that thread, like a comment from a mod, deleted or edited posts, on an ongoing basis, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
Most of the time the mods simply delete the posts without comment. By definition, you don't see the deleted posts; ....
I'm well aware that my opinions are perspectives are not appreciated by Staff here which is why I very rarely post anything any more. But I do still read and when I come across something like this it gets my attention.

I feel the posts should be left in place and edited if they are truly in violation of policy and that the relevant policy should be inserted or linked. This would accomplish two things;
  • Provide awareness to other members like agee that the thread is being monitored for compliance so that they would be inclined to tread more lightly and more carefully compose their replies.
  • Reduce Mod loads in the long run. When posts are removed completely, other members don't always know the thread has gone off-track. This can lead to the same violation by other members which means the Mods may be repeating their actions multiple times. A few edited posts could save a lot of effort overall.

There also appears to be a great deal of opinion and interpretation in Mod actions. What might be acted on by one Mod might not be by another, even in the same thread. Leaving the edited post(s) could help with consistency between Mods.

For this same reason, I feel that it is imperative that all such actions should include the Mod's ID instead of a generic ID. Nobody seems to know who is taking what action or why.

The generic system ID is fine for the auto-closed and restarted threads since that's a system function.

19-04-2011
front row

If a thread says 'you do not have permission to access this page." does this mean the thread's closed, or hidden, or something? I have karma for a post in a thread, and when I click on the link to it it tells me i don't have permission to access it.

19-04-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
Most of the time the mods simply delete the posts without comment. By definition, you
don't see the deleted posts; the only way you would know that happened is if it were your post and you received a notification, or if you happened to notice a post that was there, but is gone. There have been many posts deleted in the thread.

Members whose posts are deleted do receive notifications, so they will know why their post was deleted, so they won't breach that guideline again.

As you point out, there are many places on the web where you can discuss models' weight. This just isn't one of them.
I hear you and if the thread needs to be closed for a while, that's fine, but if it is in danger of being permanently closed then I have an issue with it, granted I know that I am not paying to be a member of the site so I have no real say so, but I am having difficulty seeing this thread as being a problem thread vis a vis other threads that I subscribe to like the Chanel Iman and Natasha Poly threads, the Vogue Paris thread with Daphne Groenveld on the cover, the ad campaign threads, certain designer threads when their collections are being presented and quite a few others. It is not even a very active thread, sometimes there is a lot of activity and other times there isn't. Perhaps the reports that you are getting are not related to that particular thread, rather it is a conflation of negative comments relating to VS and VS models throughout the Supporting Cast sub-forum, I am not asserting that there are not inappropriate comments made in that thread, but it seems much tamer relative to other threads and I cannot see how it would be high on the list for thread closure.

Another key factor and probably why this is bugging me is that it seems like it was the actions of one person who got the thread shut down. You are right that I can't know for sure if posts were deleted, but since I was online at the time and refreshing, at least as it relates to this and the prior incident, I know that there were not a lot of posts involved. I totally get why the thread had to be temporarily closed but not why it is in any danger of being permanently closed, nevertheless I don't want to get my knickers in too much of a twist over something that may not happen.

Last edited by agee; 19-04-2011 at 09:38 AM.
19-04-2011
V.I.P.

^^ Echoes, I see your points and your proposals make sense in theory, but I have some experience with vBulletin and what you are proposing adds considerably to the mods workload, at least if tFS is configured anything like the vBulletin backroom that I am familiar with. I think that being able to come to a thread like this and having a dialog with the mods is the best way to provide information to the members who have questions about the actions taken by the mods / administrators.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
closed, threads