How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-03-2010
V.I.P.

Closed threads
Hello mods

I would like to suggest something (even if it has already been suggested, I do not know)

Perhaps it would be useful to users to create a thread where mods can write all the latest closed threads ? no?
Like that, users can look at this thread and verify if they have seen all the latest closed threads.

Because if you are not everyday on tfs and have a LOT of subscriptions you can loose some threads because you can't remind all your subsriptions...

What do you think?

04-03-2010
fashion elite

^ I think it a good idea.

I'm also wondering if there is also some set rule on how many page do there have to be before a thread is closed eg. 300, 350 etc. and if users see this we can then post in the same thread as the one suggested to be closed

04-03-2010
V.I.P.

Now that the site is running very well, with the server upgrades etc, I see no point on closing threads at 300 pages or closing at whatever number of page. It just makes ppl have to go to the threads and subscribe again.

04-03-2010
trendsetter

Or post a link to the old thread(s) in the mod's note

04-03-2010
V.I.P.

^They usually do that ... ? In the first post they insert the links for the other threads. I have seen mods doing that, but since they all work differently than the others, that probably happened as you mention. Makes no sense to continue closing threads judging by how the website is working now, but that's just me.

04-03-2010
Storm & Sommer

Now.. it's been a while since I was a mod..
But I remember our techs pointing at our very big threads as a major contributer to slowing the entire site down..
Yes, the site got new servers.. but that's not a first.. for a very long time we've gotten new servers 2-4 times every year.. so it's an ongoing issue..
So threads will within all likelihood continue to be closed..

pinterest : hanneonpin
04-03-2010
V.I.P.

I think a set number would be good e.g 300 or 350 or whatever. That way when it gets around that number of pages, users will know that a closure is approaching and be on the lookout for a new thread. Users could also report the thread to the mods once it hits that number, instead of the mods having to do a huge batch of closures/new threads at the one time.

I also agree with including a link to the original thread in the first post of each new thread.

V.I.P.

despite the addition of new servers, we are still under considerable server stress. so the archiving of threads will have to continue for some time to help head off any problems.

Storm & Sommer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Bianca* View Post
I also agree with including a link to the original thread in the first post of each new thread.
^ That's part of the 'how to close a thread' guide that mods were and probably still are using.. a slip can ofcourse occure..leaving a new thread without a link back to the old thread..

Also.. when a mod closes a thread he/she will post a final post in the old thread with link to the new thread - so it's not like the thread vanishes off the radar.. (it should still be bolded in your subscription list..as long as you haven't seen the last mod note.. it will just sag further and further behind)

The last 20 or so posts in the old thread are copied and become the start of the new thread, so that there is very little chance that one will miss new info/images etc

..however I can see Tekka's point..
but I can't help but think.. if ones viewing of tFS is guided mainly by ones CP / subscriptions ..will remember the existence of a 'the latest closed threads-thread' ?

pinterest : hanneonpin
04-03-2010
V.I.P.

Ah okay! I do remember the last couple of pages becoming the new thread...such as the Model ID thread. But some of the latest model threads only included 5-10 posts. (e.g Marina Perez, Karen Elson, Michaela Kocianova, etc.). So perhaps that could be more reinforced or something, because it definitely helps keep track when you're automatically subsrcibed to the new thread. Thanks for your response.

V.I.P.

The only problem I have with closing threads is, with the Magazine section.
Elle Worldwide thread has been deleted and another one made, but everything from the old thread can't be viewed.

Soviet Camaro

The closed threads are not deleted, they are still there. If you have them in your subscribed threads, you can still navigate to them.

V.I.P.

What happens if I don't subscribe to any threads?

The future is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogue28 View Post
What happens if I don't subscribe to any threads?
You can search the word Elle in the magazine forum & come up with them. Or better yet search Worldwide & they will all come up -- Elle, Marie Claire, etc.

screencap by MMA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18.jpg (57.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by MissMagAddict; 04-03-2010 at 12:56 PM.
05-03-2010
French Chic

If it's not too much of a chore, would it be possible for someone to list all the new threads so I could subscribe to them TIA.
I know classicalbang started a lot of the new one's.....maybe you could help

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
closed, threads