Copyright Violations - Info about Threads and Photos being removed .... - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-01-2015
Soviet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAnne View Post
Someone else will have to answer you on the list of sources not to post from. Personally I'd love to be made aware too. But legally I'm not sure if that's allowed.
As you mentioned, it's not 1 or 5 or 10 sites, and as Bette mentioned, we don't always know who is behind the infringement notices, and it changes, see below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
Some copyright holders are OK with members posting pictures but many are not. We do no know who is who and they often change their minds anyway. So we really cannot advise you how to get around this nor can we advise/guess who may or may not take report a copyright violation...
Psylocke, that's an interesting idea, I will look into that, thanks!

V.I.P.

this is a trend sweeping the nation it seems sadly.

you may have heard about patent trolls ie. fly-by-night companies who attempt to enforces patent rights against accused infringers in an attempt to collect licensing fees even if it's of dubious legitimacy.

it is against the law in many jurisdictions to make bad faith infringement threats. and many states/countries are passing laws against them as it's a threat to the economy and many businesses.

these new threats against copyright "infringements" are a new form of patent trolls, IMO.

i'm going to be brutally honest. i believe that the images/stories posted at TFS can be categorized by "fair use" as they fall under criticism/commentary etc.

i don't think it's fair either what's happening. i also think it's a chilling example of quelling free speech.

i have actually stopped shopping at the trademarked brands that have demanded takedowns or claim that some of the images that we post here need to be "embargoed" until the item in the image goes on sale. i'm not in the business of advertising brands.

i want members to know that i'm concerned about this matter.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
it is against the law in many jurisdictions to make bad faith infringement threats. and many states/countries are passing laws against them as it's a threat to the economy and many businesses.

these new threats against copyright "infringements" are a new form of patent trolls, IMO.
You are probably right ... and that is exactly why the legal department and is requiring that they handle every single claim that is submitted .. to do the "due diligence" that is necessary, before they take any action.

16-01-2015
everything sucks!

I remember this being discussed a while ago, many of us TFSers said we are more likely to BUY the actual magazine issue if we see the inside content online. I've spent a lot of money on mags that I checked out first here, old and new issues. There are endless comments here from people stating they will buy the issue because they love the contents posted.

17-01-2015
V.I.P.

^ That's true, and I do think a lot of magazines realize that. But unfortunately if a photographer (or their agency representative) requests a take down and their work is on the cover, we have to take down the whole thread.

Let's hope Psylocke's solution works out, that was an idea nobody had come up with.

Thanks to everyone for staying calm and adding their feedback. Please feel free to continue to do so.

17-01-2015
V.I.P.

So legally tFS can´t say "this or that agency/magazine/brand/etc told us to remove their images so please don´t post anymore of those"?

17-01-2015
V.I.P.

Yes ... they "could" say that ... but it's only part of the picture, so it's not a complete statement. If we have not heard from a certain company, it does not mean that it's OK to post the pictures.

The various complaints that come in ... depends on who is watching us, if they care or not, as their employees change or their internal processes change. A company/copyright holder may care this month ... then never pursue it again. Or a company who seems to like our posts, may change policies, mid stream and all of a sudden, legal has to deal with their takedown requests. They can only respond to each complaint, as they come in ... and they are unable to anticipate who may or may not complain.

Last edited by BetteT; 17-01-2015 at 01:17 PM.
17-01-2015
V.I.P.

^Yes, I can totally see that. Nothing as changeable as the human mind unfortunately and thus unpredictable. Annoying to work with, but respecting everybody's opinion of course.

V.I.P.

Yes, I get it but don´t we have to start somewhere?

17-01-2015
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
Yes ... they "could" say that ... but it's only part of the picture, so it's not a complete statement. If we have not heard from a certain company, it does not mean that it's OK to post the pictures.
Bette brings up another good point here. If we were to post a list, the likelihood is that others might notice and want themselves added to the list. So we'd basically be shooting ourselves in the foot.

And again, sometimes people want something down, other times the same people have no problem with their content staying.

Last edited by HeatherAnne; 17-01-2015 at 02:04 PM.
17-01-2015
V.I.P.

Such a list just won't happen. Legal would never allow it because it would only be our "opinion" about who wants what. We are not the agents of the copyright holders ... so we cannot speak on their behalf.

To post such a list makes our company and tFS liable for any damages if anyone does post from those copyright holders. No internet company would accept that potential liability ... you can be assured of that.

It's an extremely complicated legal matter, that we must leave to our lawyers to figure out. They are the experts about copyright laws ... not us.

Last edited by BetteT; 17-01-2015 at 02:20 PM.
20-01-2015
V.I.P.

Can someone please confirm what the rule is for posting cover images from social media platforms (Facebook/Instagram/Twitter etc)? Last I heard the page needed to be public, and the poster needs to detail a proper source address (eg: Source: Facebook.com/Elle Germany).

20-01-2015
V.I.P.

^ Yes, that's correct.

Worth mentioning: you can also be slapped with a copyright violation for posting something that someone has posted on a social media site.

21-01-2015
V.I.P.

Thanks HA! I think my only concern right now is the risk of being struck for something posted a while ago.

21-01-2015
rising star

So, why is this website being targeted so much? I've been going to forums since the late 90s and have never run across one that gives people this hard of a time about images, nor copyright holders giving the forum this hard of a time. I've not seen images removed on Facebook nor Google+, nor Twitter. Are the people who took these pictures at runways/catwalks really that vein, greedy, and that much of a**holes that they target all websites that have to do with fashion? Is it really that bad?

Are there enough annotations that can be given that would disallow the copyright holders from doing this to TheFashionSpot? If so, maybe there's a forum mod that can be made that grabs lots of info from websites and puts them in the post.

Personally, I think there needs to be more than the name of the fashion line and the bare basic parent website from which the images were taken from. To me, an actual link to the exact website should be required, not just something like "style.com" or "nashvillescene.com", but it should actually have to be the full link--if you require that sort of thing, a forum mod would actually be possible to list many of the things necessary, like potentially even some of the ads that are on the originating website.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
copyright, copyright violations, info, information, photos, removed, threads, violations