Copyright Violations - Info about Threads and Photos being removed .... - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-01-2015
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzume View Post
So, why is this website being targeted so much? ....... Is it really that bad?
It's definitely not just us .... it's just now.

We've had to deal with copyright violations since the inception of the tFS forums and we did notify and warn members, but we didn't get as many before and the threat of lawsuits rarely came up.

Here is the reason it's changing: As explained earlier ... there are now "bots" that are being used to identify photos. So, all of a sudden there are new companies who can provide this service to any copyright holder who wants to pay and provide this company with an archive of images they would like to have protected. The "bot" company scans the entire web and they contact every forum, blog, social media site and photo hosting site that is found to have the copyrighted material posted. Then lawsuits are threatened.

It's logical that the more photos a site has, the more likely they can find something that is a match. We are getting hit because we are huge.

You probably would not have heard about this if we had not decided to openly talk about this to members so they can protect themselves. I don't know or any other site that has put this information out there in their announcements.

Quote:
Are there enough annotations that can be given that would disallow the copyright holders from doing this to TheFashionSpot?
Nope ... if the copyright holders don't want their photos up on tFS, no amount of crediting or"annotating" will make any difference. The law states that whoever posts the photos, must get permission from the copyright holder first ... it's very clear.

Quote:
To me, an actual link to the exact website should be required, not just something like "style.com" or "nashvillescene.com", but it should actually have to be the full link--if you require that sort of thing, a forum mod would actually be possible to list many of the things necessary, like potentially even some of the ads that are on the originating website.
Sorry ... but this won't help a bit. Providing a link will not excuse anyone from having to get permission first.

21-01-2015
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psylocke View Post

To keep threads (and most of all, discussions!) alive, would it maybe be possible for members to just start threads with links and for the links adding feature to have a thumbnail preview option à la Facebook? Something like this:

I'm not sure if this can be implemented on vBulletin? But this way the content would not actually be posted on tFS, it's just a link with a preview and people are being redirected to the actual source.
As you know, Tangerine has run this by tech support, management and legal ... and here's the answer.
From legal:
Quote:
..... if the image is actually displayed on our forums, even as a preview, we would need to properly respond to it as the subject of a DMCA takedown notice by removing it (and treating it as a strike by the poster).
Moving on .....

21-01-2015
rising star

Well damn. That's really unfortunate.

It gives me an even worse impression of the fashion industry in general than I already had if they're hiring companies to go after *pictures* of their products. Not only do they want to charge outrageous prices for their products (20,000% markups and such), they won't even allow people to share pictures of them.

It seems many of them have become stuck up, greedy, full of themselves, and really not very good people. It's like they've become like Metallica and Prince were for a period of time, where they were going after videos of toddlers dancing to their music being played on crappy stereos.

'Tis a horrible shame.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
As you know, Tangerine has run this by tech support, management and legal ... and here's the answer.
From legal:

Moving on .....
That's too bad! Thanks for the update, Bette. I have a depressing image of a future tFS with zero visual content in my head right now, it ain't that pretty I totally understand what tFS is currently doing to protect itself and its members, but from a community standpoint, all this is pretty frustrating. But I guess we were lucky that we did get away with posting so many protected images, videos and articles for so many years. It was fun while it lasted!

Kizzume, I was totally thinking of the Metallica/Napster situation too when I first heard about these copyright issues The Metallica dudes were right in what they were doing, but they came off as such greedy jerks during the whole thing. I think it eventually didn't help anyone in sympathizing with "starving" artists and their violated rights.

22-01-2015
Soviet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzume View Post
It gives me an even worse impression of the fashion industry in general than I already had if they're hiring companies to go after *pictures* of their products. Not only do they want to charge outrageous prices for their products (20,000% markups and such), they won't even allow people to share pictures of them...
It isn't much about pictures of products. The copyright infringement notices mostly are coming from companies representing photographers, ranging from paparazzi (photos of celebs) to artists' agents (editorial shoots).

The crucial difference is that having a photo of a dress or bag is not the same as having the actual product. But a high-res photo that a photographer creates and sells for a living is their product.

If you have ever created visual media, or other intellectual property for a living, this is probably not an unfamiliar concept. You get paid for your creativity. Having people give away your work is not what you want.

It's changing the internet, not just tFS, and it's tough to lose the "free exchange" of images, but I can sympathize with the creatives, too.

Now excuse me while I put on an asbestos suit.

22-01-2015
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
It's definitely not just us .... it's just now.

We've had to deal with copyright violations since the inception of the tFS forums and we did notify and warn members, but we didn't get as many before and the threat of lawsuits rarely came up.

Here is the reason it's changing: As explained earlier ... there are now "bots" that are being used to identify photos. So, all of a sudden there are new companies who can provide this service to any copyright holder who wants to pay and provide this company with an archive of images they would like to have protected. The "bot" company scans the entire web and they contact every forum, blog, social media site and photo hosting site that is found to have the copyrighted material posted. Then lawsuits are threatened.

It's logical that the more photos a site has, the more likely they can find something that is a match. We are getting hit because we are huge.
you guys can also see this in action on ebay. a lot of sellers use deliberately fuzzed stock images to get around VERO claims on ebay. a seller will take an image and photoshop it in order that the BOT won't pick it up.

so it isn't just us.

and another thing. i know this sounds pointless but one can always not patronize brands/publications that issue these takedown claims.

if these brands are going to blacklist us, then i'll blacklist them and won't buy their items nor will i tell anybody about them here.

it's a two way street.

some of these takedown requests may have unintended consequences that are disturbing. i feel very sorry for designers that may not know that promotion of their collections have been curtailed due to heavyhanded action by "rights owners". i wish i could say more without violating confidentiality.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
if these brands are going to blacklist us, then i'll blacklist them and won't buy their items nor will i tell anybody about them here.

it's a two way street.
too bad you guys can´t tell us who they are

22-01-2015
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobombon View Post
too bad you guys can´t tell us who they are

Moderators don't handle this, so we don't know either.

I have a warning myself!

22-01-2015
V.I.P.

^I know, I was kidding

25-01-2015
backstage pass

I genuinely fear this spells the end of TFS because it's so heavily image based.
It seems the copyright battle going on currently is intense...I noticed FTV's entire youtube channel is gone and thus ALL their videos, because of "multiple complaints from 3rd parties" regarding copyright infringement. I'm assuming it's the music.

What is the internet if you can't share visual content? That is the point. An entirely text based internet with images coming only from original sources would make for difficulty in finding creative content to view, and exposure would land in the minimum.

26-01-2015
V.I.P.

I certainly understand the "fear" and it's based in reality. We don't know what forums like us will become ... time will tell. The good news is that no one is going to get hurt ....

22-02-2015
V.I.P.

i love this community; i hope we can sort out the "rules" - the "do nots and be carefuls" - before we lose more great members!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
22-02-2015
everything sucks!

Why is the March W thread apparently allowed but not the February W? Is W unhappy that I left a comment saying they photoshopped Bradley Cooper's nose and jawline?

22-02-2015
V.I.P.

^ it could be that Walker's agency didnt want his pics posted?

23-02-2015
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobombon View Post
^ it could be that Walker's agency didnt want his pics posted?
The way I understand it both the photographer and magazine own the images at the end of the day, right? So if the magazine consents and we post images, could these be removed because the photographer insist they be removed? Must we seek consent from both parties? It's quite exasperating. I wonder whether this also affect other image-based sites and not just us.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
copyright, copyright violations, info, information, photos, removed, threads, violations