Copyright Violations - Info about Threads and Photos being removed .... - Page 5 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-03-2015
front row

This reminds me of the "scandal" from Taylor Swift removing all her music from Spotify and Youtube (other than her own official.) It's not just happening for images, it's happening for music and books and any other "copyrighted" content. I don't think it's necessarily always right to want to control your own content to that high of a degree. When you're making it and putting it out there, it should be out there, for better or for worse.

The intent of the creator should be for the creation to be seen, to be shared, and enjoyed. Limiting the spectrum will hurt that cause. Not everyone in the world can afford to buy magazines, songs from iTunes, etc. and although the creator has the right to decide the price of their content, people who can't pay for them will still end up "paying" the creator with their own influence/word of mouth/number of clicks.

It's a compliment in itself if a random person on the internet sees my photography as good enough for their usage, or if (my) music is liked and used as a tribute video on Youtube. That's why we make it, isn't it? For others. But it's good to give credit. And with the internet these days, the more who use it the better exposure...

V.I.P.

I think TFS should make registering accessible for a while to gain some new members because this place has become utterly dead ever since people started getting banned for copyright violations. It's unfortunate, really. It will become obsolete before you know it.

04-04-2015
V.I.P.

^ I agree. Open the floodgates. Since the administrators are so hell bent on regulating the board, let them deal with the barrage of activity that we once had before they ruined it. (Though I'll admit it was dying a slow death before this).

05-04-2015
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohji View Post
I think TFS should make registering accessible for a while to gain some new members because this place has become utterly dead ever since people started getting banned for copyright violations. It's unfortunate, really. It will become obsolete before you know it.

Heather is right about the slow death ... that this is definitely not why it's slow .... very few members have been banned for copyright violations ... none recently, actually. It's had minimal impact on membership or what is posted.

The "slow" comes from other factors .... social media is my guess. Times have changed ... forums are not that popular anymore. The masses prefer social media ... and we have a ton of people that go to ours instead of joining the forum community. But that's another topic ... I think we have a thread about possibly opening membership.

Last edited by BetteT; 05-04-2015 at 01:06 PM.
11-04-2015
V.I.P.

People, calm down.... Copyrights expire. I am sure someone will remember to post W magazines February issue in 2110 People are so impatient.

11-04-2015
V.I.P.

^I think that the main concern is members getting banned for posting.

11-04-2015
V.I.P.

^I know. It was a joke... I am currently going through the forums looking for certain people I haven't "seen" in a while

28-07-2015
V.I.P.

I started posting photos again. Hope I won't get banned

20-10-2015
V.I.P.

Wahh. Ok I'm apparently one warning away from being banned for pictures I probably posted 8 years ago. Who even knows? The email said to delete every photo I have ever posted.... lol not going to happen in my lifetime.

I will say my goodbyes now. It has been an inspiring and exciting 10 years! I have met some amazing people online and in real life. tFS has been a part of my life - no other forum have I ever checked daily for over a decade - I started reading in 2004

All the best

Last edited by *Bianca*; 20-10-2015 at 01:48 AM.
20-10-2015
V.I.P.

*Bianca* .... I certainly can feel for you and we hope that you don't get that final ding ... the third strike as our legal dept. calls it.

It's a shame that people/companies report copyright violations .... years after they were posted. And good members like you get caught in the crossfire, unable to do anything about it, after the fact.

20-10-2015
V.I.P.

It's only a matter of time before someone creates a forum just like this and that is private. It's sad TFS sold out and now is banning and punishing members that made this forum. I wonder how many people it will take to lose before they see what they are doing. Surely they hear about it? Either way my patience is running out and will probably leave as well. I didn't contribute as much as Bianca and others but this place is no longer fun.

V.I.P.

^ Same.

I know a lot of people have moved on, but there are quite a few of us who just don't enjoy this place anymore.

Can administrative mods not just wipe her account? Like keep her 2 warnings, but that way she's not getting punished for retroactive stuff. Nobody will care about broken links or missing pictures if it means keeping one of the most prolific posters in tFS history around. Call her *Bianca*2 or something.

20-10-2015
V.I.P.

It's all a legal matter ... not an admin decision. New technology ... so we have new industry standards regarding actual enforcement of the same old Copyright Laws that have been in effect long before tFS.

Heather ... I like your thinking.

But .... I don't think we can remove all old posts ... we'd have to remove them one page at a time ... almost impossible since a page is only about 20 posts (Bianca has over 26,000 posts ... most of them are photos). If we replace with a new account ... the photos would remain ..... so that person can still get dinged ... not matter what account they were posted from. In addition, if that member continues to post pictures he or she could still get a third strike on anything new that they post if the copyright holder reports it. Not sure it would help ...

Last edited by BetteT; 20-10-2015 at 09:55 PM.
21-10-2015
V.I.P.

Gotcha Bette, thanks for considering and thinking it through

29-01-2016
V.I.P.

just out of curiosity: one or two Stella McCartney SS2016 threads were deleted, is it because of the copyright violations?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
copyright, copyright violations, info, information, photos, removed, threads, violations