How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-01-2015
V.I.P.

Copyright Violations - Info about Threads and Photos being removed ....
Is it me of has the W February 2015 thread disappeared?
I´ve looked 7 pages in in the magazines thread, searched by "w magazine", "tim walker" and "february" with no results...

Help, please

16-01-2015
.my prison is your brain.

^ Copyright laws, ordered by legal to remove it (see for more):
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f43...l#post12835657

16-01-2015
V.I.P.

^thanks.
but how does a member know what not to post?
is there a thread listing what is protected and can´t be posted? (concerning the warnings/ban)
eg W, we can´t post anymore pics from this mag in upcoming months or was just this february issue?

16-01-2015
V.I.P.

^follow up question: is it accurate to assume that if W is protected all mags by Conde Nast are? meaning that we can´t post any pics from eg Vogue, Allure or Vanity Fair?

Is Elle Italia protected? cause I have digital pics but is it safe to post them?

16-01-2015
V.I.P.

It is safe to assume that all photos are protected by copyrights. The photographer owns copyrights to everything he/she takes. Then, usually the photographer will sell or legally grant either full copyrights or just "user rights" to magazines and websites.So it's difficult to determine who actually owns the copyrights, but in the case of magazines, most likely it's them.

Some copyright holders are OK with members posting pictures but many are not. We do no know who is who and they often change their minds anyway. So we really cannot advise you how to get around this nor can we advise/guess who may or may not take report a copyright violation.

This is true for any place you might want to post pictures in public ... all forums, social media, etc.

But I will say this: if you know a thread or photo has been removed at the request of the copyright holder due to the copyrights being violated, you should just assume they will do it again.

Last edited by BetteT; 16-01-2015 at 10:13 AM.
16-01-2015
V.I.P.

my concern is the warning system, may I ask if it´s possible to revisit it concerning this issue? if there aren´t clear guidelines, I could get 3 warnings regarding different posts, different mags, different photographers and get banned when there was not malice on my part, for example.

16-01-2015
fashion icon

^I was thinking exactly the same. Most of them you can't know beforehand. Is there a list somewhere so you can check?

kokobombon the warning system here is coming straight from the legal department, moderators are being held to the exact same standards, and there's nothing we can do about it. If the administrators don't comply to the requests of these legal owners tFS risks being shut down completely.

The problem with making a list is it's not 1 or 5 or 10 sites. It's anyone who owns the legal rights to an image: it's magazines, websites, photographers and their agents, photo agencies, etc. So basically any image you post that you yourself don't legally own, you're at risk for.

Yes, scary, and not comforting.

The best advice is just to heed your own warning system.

16-01-2015
V.I.P.

^I understand it´s not a moderator´s fault but you´re our connection to the people making the rules, right? so maybe you could bring this into attention to those responsable?
Wouldn´t be better for the forum´s sake, that the images/threads get deleted without "punishing" members? I´m sure they want activity on the site, if people stop posting for fear of getting banned I´m sure that will affect it. I could get my images from other sites...

On my part I´m refraining from posting anything, just in case, except links to respective sites

About making a list, so far I guess that W doesn´t want their images posted...?

Last edited by kokobombon; 16-01-2015 at 11:30 AM.
16-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobombon View Post
^I understand it´s not a moderator´s fault but you´re our connection to the people making the rules, right?
The same arguments you're making here in this thread, we moderators have been making with them. Literally every single one, and then some, and probably in an angrier tone.

Quote:
Wouldn´t be better for the forum´s sake, that the images/threads get deleted without "punishing" members? I´m sure they want activity on the site, if people stop posting for fear of getting banned I´m sure that will affect it. I could get my images from other sites...
If they don't actively prove that they are trying to go after these people than our site could be shut down. So no, they aren't going to give in. And truly, it's not their fault either.

It's just the ways the internet is shifting.

16-01-2015

Someone else will have to answer you on the list of sources not to post from. Personally I'd love to be made aware too. But legally I'm not sure if that's allowed.

16-01-2015
V.I.P.

Thanks so much HeatherAnne, for your insight

16-01-2015

Thanks for bringing it to light We want everyone to be aware, tread lightly, and stick around.

16-01-2015
V.I.P.

I'm not someone who posts many pictures around here nowadays, but I have noticed that threads and members have disappeared because of copyright issues and it's a shame

To keep threads (and most of all, discussions!) alive, would it maybe be possible for members to just start threads with links and for the links adding feature to have a thumbnail preview option à la Facebook? Something like this:

I'm not sure if this can be implemented on vBulletin? But this way the content would not actually be posted on tFS, it's just a link with a preview and people are being redirected to the actual source. I fear that if we start posting links only, people won't be compelled to click on them. And if we just keep positing images, more of us will eventually get warned/banned, right?

16-01-2015
fashion icon

Thanks HeatherAnne for your clarification!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
copyright, copyright violations, info, information, photos, removed, threads, violations