How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

16-11-2006
clever ain't wise

Just to lift something out from the first post - these are some alternatives to the current policy:

- Ban all weight discussion.

- Clean up the weight thread, improve and enforce the rules.

- Delete the weight thread and introduce a zero size thread in Trend Spotting AND a thread discussing zero size models on catwalk in D&C.
[Focus on weight/size as it relates to fashion]

- Allow weight talk again everywhere across the forum as long as it is focused on fashion and style only. No personal experiences, no repetetive comments in model/star's threads (this will be counted as OT talk).

16-11-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
- Delete the weight thread and introduce a zero size thread in Trend Spotting AND a thread discussing zero size models on catwalk in D&C.
[Focus on weight/size as it relates to fashion]
I think this is going to be close to imposible..

16-11-2006
V.I.P.

model's heights and measurements are there exclusively to fit in the clothes, they're walking hangers..some of them at the risk of their own health and some of them by mere genetic luck.

I agree with Jamie, I never really understood what the problem was and why are people just so damn obsessive with weight, I'd like to break the news for once and say there's more in FASHION than an overwhelmingly skinny model, browse the forum!, there are a gazillion threads on clothes, photographers, stylists, designers!, and for some unfathomable reason, some people seem to be only interested [if it can be considered an interest] on how much some stranger weights, it's so creepy really.

I remember, way before becoming a mod, and way before seeing those changes in the policy, that it was extremely annoying visiting one thread, liking a model because I feel like doing it [isnt beauty subjective?], and seeing all these boring comments about 'she's soo ugly, how can people like her' 'someone feed her a bread', it's like, whoa, if you dont like her, why even bother?, I dont even post in Kimora Lee's thread because I DO NOT like her style, what's the point in visiting her thread just to say her line is horrible, i mean, there must be something else to do in life..clean the dishes or something instead of piss people off and mess with other people's tastes and simple-teenagers-that-happen-to-model's eating habits. There's also a limit in freedom of speech and that's call 'respect for others', you dont go around insulting just because you're so free...that's not freedom, that's abuse, and if it's censorship what's succesfully stopped it in internet, countries, family rules, etc.. I dont know understand why it's considered a negative factor.

16-11-2006
V.I.P.

There's a big difference between speaking your mind and being disrespectful. I agree that if someone's being nasty, there should be consequences. But, I'm by no means a nasty person, and I've had many of my comments censored.

16-11-2006
still here

My opinion is:

clean up the weight thread, improve and enforce the rules.

My understanding is that one of the reasons weight talk is not allowed all over the place is precisely because it's an extremely sensitive topic and there is no way it can be done in a civilized, respectable manner when allowed to be discussed in an unmonitored fashion. I consider myself a calm, collected person who trys not to argue and makes an effort to be fair and yet most of the weight talk even in the weight thread makes my blood boil and makes me want to scream.

So I step away, or after typing out my big venting post, I just don't hit submit.

But imagine if I didn't know there were boundaries and therefore didn't feel the need to control myself? This place would be a mess if everyone felt open to say whatever they wanted to on this topic, people would be offended left and right. By having all the comments on weight contained in one place at least I can avoid that place if I want to be less outraged. If it's being talked about everywhere, would I have to avoid the entire supporting cast forum?

16-11-2006
Storm & Sommer

kan-i-ta there is actually a body thread http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...body-1216.html tho' generally it's been more picture oriented and more 'this is the body type I like' than what you are mentioning.

pinterest : hanneonpin

16-11-2006
etre soi-meme

Quote:
kan-i-ta: I think this is going to be close to imposible..
^ why?
i'm interested in the mechanics behind the trend - i see zero size as a trend- and the way this affects the industry, the consumer and the western culture.
i dont care about how tall or short or fat or skinny a member (or a model) is and i certainly dont have the time to discuss this.
maybe i'm the only person around who wants to discuss the zero trend or the Spanish fashion week's decision of banning extra thin models on catwalk
but i'm pretty sure we can have these discussions on a civilised manner without personal meassurments, 'true stories' or attacking each other.

i believe we should start a poll, it may make things 'clearer' and help us decide on how to improve our policy and efficiency.

Last edited by Lena; 16-11-2006 at 06:49 PM.

16-11-2006
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mundodabolsa
My opinion is:

clean up the weight thread, improve and enforce the rules.

My understanding is that one of the reasons weight talk is not allowed all over the place is precisely because it's an extremely sensitive topic and there is no way it can be done in a civilized, respectable manner when allowed to be discussed in an unmonitored fashion. I consider myself a calm, collected person who trys not to argue and makes an effort to be fair and yet most of the weight talk even in the weight thread makes my blood boil and makes me want to scream.

So I step away, or after typing out my big venting post, I just don't hit submit.

But imagine if I didn't know there were boundaries and therefore didn't feel the need to control myself? This place would be a mess if everyone felt open to say whatever they wanted to on this topic, people would be offended left and right. By having all the comments on weight contained in one place at least I can avoid that place if I want to be less outraged. If it's being talked about everywhere, would I have to avoid the entire supporting cast forum?
I kind of feel like that to

Mulletproof - That annoys me to, when people will just visit a thread just to write a negative comment. Somebody does that on a thread where I post regularly. I love sharing opinions but sometimes people just want to create a bad feeling.

16-11-2006
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof
I agree with Jamie, I never really understood what the problem was and why are people just so damn obsessive with weight, I'd like to break the news for once and say there's more in FASHION than an overwhelmingly skinny model, browse the forum!, there are a gazillion threads on clothes, photographers, stylists, designers!, and for some unfathomable reason, some people seem to be only interested [if it can be considered an interest] on how much some stranger weights, it's so creepy really.

I remember, way before becoming a mod, and way before seeing those changes in the policy, that it was extremely annoying visiting one thread, liking a model because I feel like doing it [isnt beauty subjective?], and seeing all these boring comments about 'she's soo ugly, how can people like her' 'someone feed her a bread', it's like, whoa, if you dont like her, why even bother?, I dont even post in Kimora Lee's thread because I DO NOT like her style, what's the point in visiting her thread just to say her line is horrible, i mean, there must be something else to do in life..clean the dishes or something instead of piss people off and mess with other people's tastes and simple-teenagers-that-happen-to-model's eating habits. There's also a limit in freedom of speech and that's call 'respect for others', you dont go around insulting just because you're so free...that's not freedom, that's abuse, and if it's censorship what's succesfully stopped it in internet, countries, family rules, etc.. I dont know understand why it's considered a negative factor.
Well, the clothes could look different, be more adjusted to curvier bodies. But for political/ethical/religious/historical/genetic reasons they are not. So there is a valid question there...However, what I don't really understand is how so many feel it's important to seek out a star's thread and bash that person for being very thin...wouldn't it be better to go to some healthier star and look at their pix, if looking at pix is what you want to do.

I think the reason some people don't do anything more fulfilling, like enjoying pix they like or cleaning dishes, is that they are very frustrated and angry. And of course it's so convenient to take out anger on ppl at forums...

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 16-11-2006 at 05:30 PM.

16-11-2006
tailored

weight and size are definitely linked to fashion...
model size has always been cyclical; stephanie seymour, claudia schiffer and cindy crawford were not as thin as today's models...
and i don't see "size 0" fashions as a trend,
as mulletproof said, many girls are genetically thin...
and certain stores, like express and abercrombie have had size 0 and 00 for a long time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieRL
some models/celebs are getting targeted and its not fair.
the focus today on celebrities has put weight and diet in the forefront, and issues like size 0 are being talked about more and more...
certain celebs and models are targeted because they don't look healthy or they have sought treatment for an eating disorder...
it's not unfair, it's fact...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodel citizen
Models and celebrities are public domain by choice, and I think that commenting on their weight isn't a bad thing. The whole point of fashion, at the end of the day, is to get people to buy products. As consumers, we have a right to judge what's being presented to us.
that logic works when you're talking about clothing on the runway, not the model that's in it...you're not buying the model...
if i go to the chanel s/s 07 thread to see the collection, i don't want to read a ton of posts about how fat daria's gotten...
i have never been discouraged from buying something because i didn't like the model in the clothing...

Quote:
I must be the only person who thinks that censorship (in any form) is truly awful. I understand that there needs to be rules, but this is a FORUM where people can discuss things that are relevant to them. It's not a FORUM anymore where every comment you make is watched and edited for content.
i doubt you are the only person that feels this way...
i don't like censorship either, but in a forum of this size and popularity, certain things must be sacrificed for the greater good of the forum...
if you were black or asian, how would you feel about racist posts, or posts insulting your background or intelligence?
all of the moderators here (myself included) strive to create a positive environment for members to talk about style and fashion, and things that relate to that...
certain rules need to be put in place to ensure that, and this is one of them...
we've all been to forums that are free for alls, and i for one, don't want that atmosphere here...

i think the weight thread should be cleaned up or closed and a new one started with more clearly defined rules to help the discussion be more positive...

16-11-2006
rising star

Two days ago a brazilian 21 old model died of anorexia. There is a frenzy about the subject in the papers ever since. I think we should be allowed to talk about weight and all the issues that it brings, for good or bad. in my oppinion, that's a broad subject that goes from obesity to anorexia, from fashion to fitness and it's very relevant in todays' culture. We should be able to explore it.

16-11-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaCastello
Two days ago a brazilian 21 old model died of anorexia. There is a frenzy about the subject in the papers ever since. I think we should be allowed to talk about weight and all the issues that it brings, for good or bad. in my oppinion, that's a broad subject that goes from obesity to anorexia, from fashion to fitness and it's very relevant in todays' culture. We should be able to explore it.

16-11-2006
V.I.P.

Imho no weight-talk should be allowed in other threads; let's keep a thread for those who want to discuss it, ok, but anyway let's keep all models' threads clean, please!

16-11-2006
front row

I think the weight thread its self should be deleted. I think most of the talk that goes on there is in no way fashion related and so has no place on this forum as there are plenty of forums out there that you can discuss body and weight issues. I myself did used to post on there but now i dont, i find it just goes around in circles going over the same topics.
I think that if the weight thread was gone then perhaps you could allow some talk about weight in relation to fashion through out the rest of the forum, but only if it is in relation to fashion. For example, that top is not so flattering it doesnt flatter her larger stomach, just as long as the comment has some relation to do with fashion. No random comments like 'she is so fat',or 'she has lost a lot of weight' etc.
I know some members feel that weight talk is a part of fashion and so it should be allowed on a fashion forum... But do we really want to contribute to this, i mean perhaps we could take a step in the direction of fashion being about designers, tends, fabrics and colours once again, rather than weight.

just my two cents worth

Last edited by baracci; 16-11-2006 at 06:06 PM.

16-11-2006
Melancholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimair
the focus today on celebrities has put weight and diet in the forefront, and issues like size 0 are being talked about more and more...
certain celebs and models are targeted because they don't look healthy or they have sought treatment for an eating disorder...
it's not unfair, it's fact...
Yes I agree..it is a fact and alot of them are looking unhealthy BUT there is no need for the members of TFS to repeat the same posts again and again and again. (same goes for pictures of the same person from the same show but from 2000 different angles)

They are human beings not just mere 'celebs'. I know several models are on this site god forbid one of them has to come across someone's insensitve post that could be about them. These are human beings...not objects.

Not every skinny woman is anorexic..(even if they were there it is THEIR struggle..not something to be pointed out maliciously and talked about. It is a disease nothing to be ashamed about..what do we want them to do..crawl into holes and hide?) How could we possibly know what their day to day lives are like? Like every human being they experience, loss (of family and friends), food poisioning, illness etc.. who the hell are we to look at them and label them as 'anorexicly thin' etc.

There is a difference between member of TFS saying "shes very thin in that shot" "thats not flattering for her shape as she is thicker round the middle" "it hangs on her better as she is more lean"

and

"she is anorexic/discusting..look ive posted 16 photos for you to look at..now lets anaylse whats her problem and fight about it...by the way i have an ed to so let me tell you my oppinion" (which is happening)

The tfs members have proved over and over again that they CAN NOT keep the weight talk reasonable so maybe its healthier for us to focus on other things.. or maybe before new members join they have a disclosure to agree with about making comments on weight..etc

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
discussion, policy, tfs, weight