How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-02-2011
V.I.P.

Fashion Week - Models vs. the Collections ... Has tFS Changed?
I am posting this here because I am not sure if it merits its own thread:

A question that has popped in my head in the last day or so and that is, are images of the major collections not getting posted as much and / or as completely as before? If this is the case - I am not 100% sure, perhaps a long-term member can confirm or refute my assertion, I suspect that the culprit is livestreaming. Also does this materially threaten tFS' (arguably) implied role as a repository for all things fashion?

Last edited by agee; 27-02-2011 at 02:30 PM.

27-02-2011
Geometric Discharge

^ IMO, this does deserve it's own thread.
I've definitely noticed that the amount of posts has gone down in major designer collection threads. I think this is because people are sat, staring at the audience taking their seats for at least half an hour instead of exclaiming how excited they are over the first images coming through, ever-so-slowly in the designated thread.

27-02-2011
V.I.P.

omg, yes I have noticed it too. it's to the point where I actually wait a couple of days before looking at a thread for a major collection and then when I do I go straight to the last page and start backwards to avoid seeing "omg it's about to start" or "look jac just opened" and other random comments that have nothing to do with the actual collection itself.

I've actually avoided almost all livestreams this season with the exception of 1 or 2. I'm kind of over it, especially when most of the times the quality is so bad anyways.
so yes, I think livestreaming was cool for the novelty idea of being able to be "front row from your room" but now it's kind of annoying.

edit: oh and please do make a thread for it, I would be interested in what other people thought of livestreams in general (good or bad)

Last edited by fantastical; 27-02-2011 at 03:18 PM.
27-02-2011
Looking Up

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the focus of discussion in tFS has shifted away from fashion and more towards models. That's why in the collections' threads you won't see the collection posted in images, but if you visit the cast models' threads you will see their shots from those same collections. 3 years ago it wasn't like that.

27-02-2011
Power to the 99%

^ You have a point there. When I check new threads, sometimes every darn one is a model thread. It used to be that during the collections, the designer threads would dominate there Models have always been popular , but now it's escalated.

28-02-2011
V.I.P.

I was going to say the same thing about people caring more about which model walked what show instead of actually being interested in the collections.
It's funny because I thought with all the live streams and live photo streams people would go crazy over who will post the first pics and full collections first. Last season it was mayhem with four new threads being started for one collection in the same minute, all containing nothing but blurry Twitter pics. I thought it was going to be even more extreme this season. But I was definitely wrong.
I do appreciate that the people who comment don't just post the usual "boring", "I love it", etc comments but I still wish the person who starts the thread would actually post the whole colletion (and I prefer if LQs are posted in full instead of HQs being posted as thumbnails) as I thought that was somehwhat of a posting etiquette concering the D&C forums.

28-02-2011
Looking Up

^ I agree. I don't want to watch the entire video of the show, when skimming through the pictures is simpler.

28-02-2011
.my prison is your brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastical View Post
omg, yes I have noticed it too. it's to the point where I actually wait a couple of days before looking at a thread for a major collection and then when I do I go straight to the last page and start backwards to avoid seeing "omg it's about to start" or "look jac just opened" and other random comments that have nothing to do with the actual collection itself.
Agree, and I'm sorry but these blurry beyond belief Twitter picture shouldn't even be allowed to be posted. They serve absolutely no purpose for anyone caring about the collection as you can't even make out the clothes, I think it's more about seeing who the model is which isn't supposed be allowed in Designer & Collections threads anyway.

28-02-2011
chaos reigns

Certainly, theFashionSpot has evolved ...

Yes, years ago we use to have a very neat and clear thread from the collection and accesories and such and reading an "OMG ! I love it!" would create waves of laughter from the usual posters because people who do post in D&C most of the time are either knowdgeable or do have an opinion about it.

Lately, during the FW, we see a flock of members from the Supporting Cast forums to go to D&C and them -being models their forte- cant help but mention .. "Yay! Jac opened!" or "I love the dress on Edita" which is a pity because ...

a) Most people do not know the models by name (yup, Im a mod and I have no idea who are they referring to half of the time) so the chatter about the actual collection is lost due to the fact that SS forum members speak in a code that other tFS member just dont handle.

b) tFS does have a forum to discuss the models, SC, so as mods, we are supposed to keep and direct Model talk on the Model forums and well .. it isnt easy, esp if the member mentions not only the models, if not the collection and even the music and such.

I have to admit that I have a LOT of respect to this members from the SC forums, I myself cant find the time to scout and memorize every girl (I think mostly cuz I do it with the collections) but some just do not read the Rules or the "Posting etiquette" thread or they get so excited they forget about it and post in there ... which ends up with major clean ups on the D&C threads as you all mentioned.

The thing that does bother me the most is the opening threads with blurry Twitter pics and such .. every season tFS team debates about to change the rules or not because going like 4 pages with no pics and "Im so excited its about to start" its such a put down ...

Please do keep on posting on this thread ... we love feedback!

Last edited by BetteT; 28-02-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: typo ;)
28-02-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramarine View Post
Certainly, theFashionSpot has evolved ...

Yes, years ago we use to have a very neat and clear thread from the collection and accesories and such and reading an "OMG ! I love it!" would create waves of laughter from the usual posters because people who do post in D&C most of the time are either knowdgeable or do have an opinion about it.

Lately, during the FW, we see a flock of members from the Supporting Cast forums to go to D&C and them -being models their forte- cant help but mention .. "Yay! Jac opened!" or "I love the dress on Edita" which is a pity because ...

a) Most people do not know the models by name (yup, Im a mod and I have no idea who are they referring to half of the time) so the chatter about the actual collection is lost due to the fact that SS forum members speak in a code that other tFS member just dont handle.

b) tFS does have a forum to discuss the models, SS, so as mods, we are supposed to keep and direct Model talk on the Model forums and well .. it isnt easy, esp if the member mentions not only the models, if not the collection and even the music and such.

I have to admit that I have a LOT of respect to this members from the SC forums, I myself cant find the time to scout and memorize every girl (I think mostly cuz I do it with the collections) but some just do not read the Rules or the "Posting etiquette" thread or they get so excited they forget about it and post in there ... which ends up with major clean ups on the D&C threads as you all mentioned.

The thing that does bother me the most is the opening threads with blurry Twitter pics and such .. every season tFS team debates about to change the rules or not because going like 4 pages with no pics and "Im so excited its about to start" its such a put down ...
Please do keep on posting on this thread ... we love feedback!
i agree on that one,no tread shoul be open until a decent runway image.
there are many pages just confirming each model that is going to walk in the show(which we all will see once the show starts).also showing just a piece of the runway,or some pieces of the collection.is just not a nice way to start a collection tread.after 3/4 pages is when we can finally see some of the pieces clear.

maybe the collection treat should not be open until after the collection is shown?

now about the models i must admit im guilty. if my models are not in the show i wont really watch the whole show.

chaos reigns

Oh! We do have rules against it ... but sometimes we get bomarded with so many threads at once (thanks to Twitter and Livestreams that one may sneak in and when we already know it has so many posts we can not just delete it).

Hum .. I guess this situation its a wee bit complicated

V.I.P.

Well I've been following fashion week via tFS for over 6 years now and even though we did try to control model discussion in the area and as a result, those who visited D&C for model enthusiasm only instead of fashion have gone back to their area (carrying their clever sources and speed of light for bringing collections here), I also think that the point of livestreams is finally taking the effect it was meant to have. I've read countless interviews/articles from designers or editors talking about the way images appear on the internet only hours after the show, many designers were concerned and of course I'm sure many of them were talking about tFS (where else everyone [myself included] is so desperate to see it? ).. so many of them started to do livestreams precisely to make use of that attention they generate, which is good, but the suspense/first pics excitment/discussion/confusion/etc decays on a message board like this..

I don't think the blame or actual cause is really related to tendencies here (models vs. designers) but the time we're living in right now.. now it's up to tFS to find a way to catch up with this new decade, the way fashion is communicated (literally), or, take the risk of keeping a simple system at the risk of losing membership and eventually being that board from those years when show pictures would come out one by one.

V.I.P.

So what is tFS' identity? I noted in my initial post that the site is an (implied) repository for all things fashion but is that a correct characterization? If I went to the thread for a major designer three years ago, what are the odds that I would find a thread with the full collection posted? Does anyone know if tFS is a go-to resource for designers collections? I know for me personally if I wanted to see, hypothetically, the Chanel collection from three to five seasons ago, then tFS would be my first choice and style.com would be my second, tFS is my first choice because I like to see everything laid out in a few posts and not click through an image at a time. These days, nowfashion and fashiongonerogue are go-to resources for me as well. Having said all this, this is somewhat of an academic issue because the stuff posted in the forums is done so voluntarily but still it is interesting to me that tFS being a reliable source for content when it comes designer collections, presumably one of the most critical content areas, may be in jeopardy (or is it?).

Last edited by agee; 28-02-2011 at 06:58 PM.
02-03-2011
trendsetter

The blurry pictures (screencaps, seriously?) and "omg natasha opened!" type of comments are indeed very annoying. I confess I usually go to style.com or any vogue website to see a collection, that way I don't have to endlessly scroll down or load pages before seeing actual pictures. There's also the chance to see them in the right order and not randomly ang sparingly released. Also I sometimes made the mistake to open a designer thread before the show happened hoping to find a livestream link and disliked finding there twitter backstage pics or previews. These pictures tend to spoil things for me because I prefer to discover a collection during the show or at the time all the pictures get released (but of course it's just a personal preference). At the end I only check a designer's TFS thread when I'm not really fan/familiar with him or a few days after a major show when I'm curious to know the opinions of other people on it.

And contrary to fantastical I'm really happy that livestreams are happening more and more. We're not forced to watched them so how could it be annoying? It's probably less exciting for the members to post and lurk the first pictures of a show that was just watched by many but if I liked the clothes in the video I'll most definitely look for large and detailed pictures of them.

Last edited by Fantomette; 02-03-2011 at 06:13 PM.
03-03-2011
®

^ actually the moderators are doing a good job deleting comments of that nature in the collection threads. i admit i was a propagator of these twitter pictures some seasons back but then with the appearance of sites such as nowfashion.com -- which provides the best LQ images in the shortest amount of time -- the time i spend hounding image tweets have seriously lessened.

and the popularity of the SC threads during FW can be owed to the plethora of images around the web following the shows. different photographers and different sites all try to snap the perfect shot and automatically upload all the others in the process. so in the SC thread, you are most likely to find LQs from twitter, then nowfashion photos followed by getty, daylife.. finally HQs from vogue.co.uk, style.it then catwalking then backstage pics, then backstage HQ pics and then some streetstyle photo... the list is endless actually. contrast this with collection threads where you post one long, thoughtful comment (or a short it's a mess banter) and off you go! the HQs and LQs are then lumped into one huge post full of thumbnails.. only big names like Prada, Dolce & Gabbana, Chanel etc generate 15-page long or more posts because most likely there's a debate ensuing about the different virtues of the collection both good and bad.

so ultimately, while tFS membership has certainly skewed on the 'model-fan' side, i still think we're the repository of all things fashion, as agee claimed, because members like fatalefashion (i can't thank her enough), flashbang, mikeijames, tentacl ventricl et.al. still link us to the first HQ videos of the full shows or still solicitously review the collection and dissect for the fashion crowd the elements that make up the show.

EDIT : and with the appearance of the 'Livestreams' thread, i think a rule should be implemented against the starting of a designer thread linking to a livestream video. this should help cut down the 'i'm so excited' and other comments of this caliber.

Last edited by IAmLordZen; 03-03-2011 at 02:33 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
changed, collections, fashion, models, tfs, week